Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Rock N Roll, Classic Rock & 60s Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3
Default Best Classic Rock Critics

Who do you consider to the be the best / most influential rock critics that cover classic rock? Ones that are still living, please. Christgau and Fricke are at the top of the list. Who else do you admire?
mrturophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,203
Default

Honestly I have never thought much of any music critic. It is such a personal experience what good does someone elses opinions do.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*


Power: Yamaha Rx-v363, Focusrite 2i2
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's
Headphones: Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
It is such a personal experience what good does someone elses opinions do.
Challenges your own opinion and either weakens it or strengthens it. Rock critics play a vital role for that exact reason.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #4 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Challenges your own opinion and either weakens it or strengthens it. Rock critics play a vital role for that exact reason.
Call it vital if you want, but I dont see why what they say should be taken over anyone elses review. I mean why should I listen more to a famous rolling stone rock critic more than Unknown Soldiers opinion. You are both fans of music right? So maybe he is a better writer...I read more absurd critic reviews on music and movies than I wish to.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*


Power: Yamaha Rx-v363, Focusrite 2i2
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's
Headphones: Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Call it vital if you want, but I dont see why what they say should be taken over anyone elses review. I mean why should I listen more to a famous rolling stone rock critic more than Unknown Soldiers opinion. You are both fans of music right? So maybe he is a better writer...I read more absurd critic reviews on music and movies than I wish to.
You've just agreed with what I've said above.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
You've just agreed with what I've said above.
Not really, you said it weakens or strengthens your own opinion. I am saying it doesn't affect me or my opinion at all 99.9% of the time.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*


Power: Yamaha Rx-v363, Focusrite 2i2
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's
Headphones: Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Not really, you said it weakens or strengthens your own opinion. I am saying it doesn't affect me or my opinion at all 99.9% of the time.
But to have reached this conclusion, you had to shift through a load of stuff written by rock critics and as I said above it served its purpose.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
But to have reached this conclusion, you had to shift through a load of stuff written by rock critics and as I said above it served its purpose.
What purpose? I just told you that 99.9% of them make 0 impression and change nothing for me...Most critics in my experience seem to think they are on a different higher plane than every other music listener.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*


Power: Yamaha Rx-v363, Focusrite 2i2
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's
Headphones: Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
What purpose? I just told you that 99.9% of them make 0 impression and change nothing for me...Most critics in my experience seem to think they are on a different higher plane than every other music listener.
You've mentioned how critics had a zero impact on you now, but it's obvious that to have reached this opinion, you would've been aware of the writings of some music critics and the kind of opinions that they have had over the years. Your exposure to them has been as you say 99.9 negative, so there is your result and they served their purpose in that respect.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,203
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
You've mentioned how critics had a zero impact on you now, but it's obvious that to have reached this opinion, you would've been aware of the writings of some music critics and the kind of opinions that they have had over the years. Your exposure to them has been as you say 99.9 negative, so there is your result and they served their purpose in that respect.
Their purpose is to effectively challenge your thoughts on something or look at something in a different light. (at least thats what I think of the job they should be doing) If they have not challenged my thoughts on something or see anything differently then no...in fact they have done nothing.

What are we even arguing about...?
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*


Power: Yamaha Rx-v363, Focusrite 2i2
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's
Headphones: Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.