Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Rock N Roll, Classic Rock & 60s Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2017, 11:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 17,168
Default

With a much better singer they could be a sorry imitation of the White Stripes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
I'm not paying my psych ward bill and they can suck my dick from the back. The people in charge of the medical industry deserve to be dragged into the streets to have their throats cut like the greedy pigs they are.
FLARLY WE RIDE
OccultHawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
Rude gentleman
 
Blue Hawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 685
Default

Definition of classic rock.

__________________
Eliminate the right, eliminate the wrong, eliminate the weak, eliminate the strong.
Blue Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Which kind of makes it ridiculous that a band operating in 2017 can be dubbed "classic rock". As others have said, classic rock style, maybe, but not classic rock. I'd also argue against Frown's definition of prog rock (well, I'd argue with Frown over the colour of the sky, but you know...) as that has clearly defined tenets and characteristics, so that it's easy enough to pin down a band who should be called prog rock (long, interminable keyboard instrumentals, non-standard lyrics, different time signatures, long, epic, multi-part songs, use of things like harp, mandolin, flute etc - you know all the usual ones) and while they may not be seen as truly "progressive" in the literal meaning of the word, the genre itself no longer really means that, it is again in a style popularised and created by 70s bands like Yes, Genesis and ELP, and newer bands like Spock's Beard, IQ, Arena et al continue that legacy.
So what you're saying is symphonic prog has tenets. I just don't think they should abuse that word and should be referred to more specifically than progressive rock. And I would argue that the genre should still be ablut progression because it's in the damn name. Same with conscious hip hop. Are you really that woke if you were saying the same basic **** that Nas was throwing down in the 90s?
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
.
 
rostasi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,517
Default

Classic Rock (4,030,000,000 years old)



or



Whichever is older.
rostasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Boneshaker Baby
 
elphenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: 2 much blood in my alcohol stream
Posts: 12,430
Default

Heavily produced prog-lite/hard rock
__________________
Just another marketing ploy

"Life sucks. It’s a miserable hell being a living organism"

https://spiderchildrecords.bandcamp.com/
elphenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Scuttle Buttin'
 
Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boulder Colorado
Posts: 961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwertyy View Post
oh god make it stop please
Wow. Any royalties should go straight to swan song or Peter Grant or wherever that **** goes.
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:54 PM   #17 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
So what you're saying is symphonic prog has tenets. I just don't think they should abuse that word and should be referred to more specifically than progressive rock. And I would argue that the genre should still be ablut progression because it's in the damn name. Same with conscious hip hop. Are you really that woke if you were saying the same basic **** that Nas was throwing down in the 90s?
Well, I would argue those tenets apply to any progressive rock, even prog metal at times. However I do agree with you; it's definitely not progressive, not in the way your experimental/drone/noise/whatever stuff is. But until we come up with a new word (please, no wank rock!) we're stuck with it, and I prefer it because I know when I see the tag that there's a good chance I'll like it. Something that does annoy me is Progressive Trance, I think it is? I see it around a lot. What the hell is that?

As for the genre being about progression, well that was easy in the seventies, when all this stuff was new. Now there's not so much different that can be attempted, and if you go too far off the path you wander into experimental territory, which I guess wasn't really a thing in the seventies, at least not as it is now. So again, we're stuck. I would certainly agree that bands I listen to have done nothing to advance the cause of music, ie progress it forward, but that doesn't stop me liking them. The only one I'd give a pass to in that regard would be Marillion, who, along with Radiohead, were one of the first to go for the "pay what you like" business model, and also one of the first to get fans to pre-pay for (essentially I guess finance) their next albums. So that's pretty progressive. Musically, without a question, not in the least, not even close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostasi View Post
Classic Rock (4,030,000,000 years old)



or



Whichever is older.
Excellent. Also
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Well, I would argue those tenets apply to any progressive rock, even prog metal at times. However I do agree with you; it's definitely not progressive, not in the way your experimental/drone/noise/whatever stuff is. But until we come up with a new word (please, no wank rock!) we're stuck with it, and I prefer it because I know when I see the tag that there's a good chance I'll like it. Something that does annoy me is Progressive Trance, I think it is? I see it around a lot. What the hell is that?
Symphonic jazz rock?

Quote:
As for the genre being about progression, well that was easy in the seventies, when all this stuff was new. Now there's not so much different that can be attempted, and if you go too far off the path you wander into experimental territory, which I guess wasn't really a thing in the seventies, at least not as it is now. So again, we're stuck. I would certainly agree that bands I listen to have done nothing to advance the cause of music, ie progress it forward, but that doesn't stop me liking them. The only one I'd give a pass to in that regard would be Marillion, who, along with Radiohead, were one of the first to go for the "pay what you like" business model, and also one of the first to get fans to pre-pay for (essentially I guess finance) their next albums. So that's pretty progressive. Musically, without a question, not in the least, not even close.
Of course there are different ways to progress, it always just seems like everything has been done because innovation wouldn't be innovative if it was already in the picture. Plus, a lot of prog bands in the 70s like King Crimson were pretty experimental. There are a lot of experimental rock bands that I would call progressive rock, like Perhaps or Massacre. Most self proclaimed progressive rock bands don't really reflect what I'd like the genre to be, so I think they should be xalled something else.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:51 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,209
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
so I think they should be xalled something else.
I got xalled once. Couldn't sit down for a week.
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
I'm back, baby!
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In your face
Posts: 22,025
Default

I often feel something like Drama Rock or the like might suit. Keyboard Drama? Buck Drama? Banana Drama? Dramarama?
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.