Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Rock & Metal > Rock N Roll, Classic Rock & 60s Rock
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Who was a better songwriter?
Pete Townshend (The Who) 2 50.00%
Ray Davies (The Kinks) 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2021, 06:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Eleanor Rigby 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Between those two I’d say Waterloo Sunset pretty easy
Mee too, but I can't think of any song from The Kinks similar to Won't Get Fooled Again to compare them.
Eleanor Rigby 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 21,344
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby 14 View Post
Mee too, but I can't think of any song from The Kinks similar to Won't Get Fooled Again to compare them.
The greatest guitar work by The Kinks is the riff for You Really Got Me which is so raw and so early it’s one of the best and most influential riffs of all but Dave played it.
__________________

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Eleanor Rigby 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
The greatest guitar work by The Kinks is the riff for You Really Got Me which is so raw and so early it’s one of the best and most influential riffs of all but Dave played it.
Yeah, absolutely, but no one's sure who played the solo. Jon Lord (Deep Purple) played the piano on the track and told Blackmore and others that Jimmy Page had played. Page doesn't remember, although says he didn't. Ray Davies said it wasn't true and that Dave had played it.Dave Davies hasn't talked about it.. Sound engineers don't know either.
All Day And All Of The Night is cool, too, but the solo is almost identic to the solo of You Really Got Me.

Last edited by Eleanor Rigby 14; 01-14-2021 at 07:05 AM.
Eleanor Rigby 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
ribbons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 768
Default

Ray Davies for me. I respect Townshend's intelligent writing, but I'm just not a Who fan. Davies is a supreme melodicist, and besides, I'm a supreme Anglophile. There's also a tenderness, poignancy and playfulness with Davies, which I tend to go for.

ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
gayer than Taylor Swift
 
Marie Monday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Cute Post Malone's mom
Posts: 1,987
Default

Days is such a great song! As a fellow anglophile I relate to that, Ray Davies is certainly the quitessential English musician
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Eleanor Rigby 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
Ray Davies for me. I respect Townshend's intelligent writing, but I'm just not a Who fan. Davies is a supreme melodicist, and besides, I'm a supreme Anglophile. There's also a tenderness, poignancy and playfulness with Davies, which I tend to go for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Days is such a great song! As a fellow anglophile I relate to that, Ray Davies is certainly the quitessential English musician
Well, it was very difficult for me to vote, I voted for Townshend while listening to Roger Daltrey's scream in Won't Get Fooled Again. But now I'm not so sure. Thanks for voting!
__________________
Quote:
“Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull**** attached. Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God’s blessing and permission, it always will.”
Eleanor Rigby 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
ribbons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Days is such a great song! As a fellow anglophile I relate to that, Ray Davies is certainly the quitessential English musician
Marie, as an Anglophile you're certainly in the right place. I'm extremely jealous!

One of my favorite places is Tea & Sympathy, a quaint English restaurant/tea room here in NY. I always hear The Kinks playing in my head when I'm there (and it's been far too long because of Covid. Usually get a pot of Earl Grey and warm ginger cake with hot custard sauce - to die for.)

ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:12 PM   #18 (permalink)
gayer than Taylor Swift
 
Marie Monday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Cute Post Malone's mom
Posts: 1,987
Default

my anglophilia is one of the reasons I ended up in England
obligatory song to go with your lovely little tea story:
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You sound like Buffy after they dragged her back from Heaven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWP View Post
I want to open a school for MB's lost boys and teach them basic coping skills and build up their self esteem and strengthen their emotional intelligence and teach them about vegetables and institutionalized racism and sexism and then they'll all build a bronze statue of me in my honor and my bronzed titties will forever be groped by the grubby paws of you ****ing whiny pathetic white boys.
Marie Monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:14 PM   #19 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Eleanor Rigby 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 288
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
my anglophilia is one of the reasons I ended up in England
obligatory song to go with your lovely little tea story:
Yes, Sunny Afternoon is another one that I love, too.
__________________
Quote:
“Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any other bull**** attached. Music survives everything, and like God, it is always present. It needs no help, and suffers no hindrance. It has always found me, and with God’s blessing and permission, it always will.”
Eleanor Rigby 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
ribbons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 768
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby 14 View Post
I voted for Townshend while listening to Roger Daltrey's scream in Won't Get Fooled Again.
That'll do it! This song is irresistible.

ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.