Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Soul & Funk
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Divination
 
Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,623
Default PRINCE - (The Prince of Funk) ?

This is an artist that is hard not to have respect for, (whether you like him or not). He has masterd atleast 13 different instruments, and his talent in the studio speaks for itself, without the mention of his music video's.... and I will mention 'Sheena Easton', as one of my favorite funk artist because of Prince. I find that it is hard for alot of people to admit they like Prince's music, just as the same is with 'George Micheals' also. Hell....I liked a few of Boy George's covers. (Regardless), Prince is in all accounts, one of the (best of the best) in my personal opinion.
Necromancer is offline  
Old 11-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
goodfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: scotland
Posts: 408
Default

i went to the same school as sheena easton, there you go!!!!!
goodfoot is offline  
Old 11-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

it's not that i have a hard time admitting that i like Prince, so much as there really isn't much of his material that i've heard that i'd call really good. i remember liking the Batman soundtrack he did for the Tim Burton / Michael Keaton / Jack Nicholson feature.

i keep hearing him called one of the funkiest men on the planet and so my attention turns to George Clinton and his bands which leaves the material i've heard by Prince paling on the sides.

how about a few examples of his stand outs? something other than 'purple rain' and 'when doves cry' perhaps.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline  
Old 11-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Divination
 
Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
it's not that i have a hard time admitting that i like Prince, so much as there really isn't much of his material that i've heard that i'd call really good. i remember liking the Batman soundtrack he did for the Tim Burton / Michael Keaton / Jack Nicholson feature.

i keep hearing him called one of the funkiest men on the planet and so my attention turns to George Clinton and his bands which leaves the material i've heard by Prince paling on the sides.

how about a few examples of his stand outs? something other than 'purple rain' and 'when doves cry' perhaps.
I dont believe any example, say... as one of my favorites by Prince is going to change your opinion. I am a big fan of George Clinton also, and Clinton is by far a pioneer when it comes to the 'core' of funk. And as I have stated in other post's before, I find it hard to say who is #1 when comparing the best of the best.

Last edited by Necromancer; 11-15-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Necromancer is offline  
Old 11-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
barbarella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 154
Default

Hey! Sorry I have to disagree but isn't this a bit more like what you'd call Funk? I don't think Ms Easton really cuts it in that department! ..



__________________

Below Zero.
barbarella is offline  
Old 11-15-2009, 06:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
Himself
 
loveissucide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Leuven ,Belgium, via Ireland
Posts: 1,325
Default

Sign Of The Times is one of the best records I've ever heard.But I don't get the point of this thread.
loveissucide is offline  
Old 11-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Divination
 
Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveissucide View Post
Sign Of The Times is one of the best records I've ever heard.But I don't get the point of this thread.
Your kidding....(you just went strait to the point).
Necromancer is offline  
Old 11-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,446
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalsBass View Post
I find that it is hard for alot of people to admit they like Prince's music
Wrong

http://www.musicbanter.com/general-m...84-prince.html
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.