Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Soundtracks & Compilations (https://www.musicbanter.com/soundtracks-compilations/)
-   -   Highly Overused Songs in Movies (https://www.musicbanter.com/soundtracks-compilations/54983-highly-overused-songs-movies.html)

Howard the Duck 06-18-2011 10:37 AM

Carl Douglas Jnr - Kung-Fu Fightin'

Peace Frog 06-18-2011 02:28 PM

I do like Song 2 but yeah, overused definitely.

djchameleon 06-18-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peace Frog (Post 1072925)
I do like Song 2 but yeah, overused definitely.

Not used enough you mean!

captaincaptain 06-18-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BastardofYoung (Post 1072537)
I see your "Don't Stop Me Now" and raise you a...

I can't think of a movie Crazy Little Thing Called Love was in. (Off the top of my head)

BastardofYoung 06-18-2011 10:04 PM

neither can I..... but I know I have heard it in quite a few.

I guess none of the trailers made an impact, or i was just so crazy i heard it playing in my head during the trailer... either way, I know I have heard it... but i can not think of where.

BastardofYoung 06-18-2011 10:11 PM

however, until i think of some or figure it out more... i will post one (that probably already has been posted) we can all agree on in the meantime

captaincaptain 06-18-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BastardofYoung (Post 1073137)
neither can I..... but I know I have heard it in quite a few.

I guess none of the trailers made an impact, or i was just so crazy i heard it playing in my head during the trailer... either way, I know I have heard it... but i can not think of where.

I could only find 5 times it was in a non concert film. For a comparison, We Are The Champions have been in 11 films.

Queen - IMDb

BastardofYoung 06-18-2011 10:17 PM

Son in Law.... *cringe*....

captaincaptain 06-18-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BastardofYoung (Post 1073142)
however, until i think of some or figure it out more... i will post one (that probably already has been posted) we can all agree on in the meantime

This one is definitely in way too many trailers/movies. Nanny McPhee anyone?

NSW 06-18-2011 10:22 PM



Well, at least part of it anyway. Not to mention TV shows, sporting events, ring tones....blech.

Janszoon 06-18-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SATCHMO (Post 1072250)
Obviously...


I'm surprised to see only one person has mentioned this since it's clearly the hands-down thread winner for me.

BastardofYoung 06-18-2011 10:29 PM

Sting - IMDb

yeah, looking at the above, i had to stop and laugh at Stings uncredited contribution to "This Ain't Glee XXX"...... funny thought of him writing songs for pornography... let alone songs by the title given...

djchameleon 06-18-2011 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janszoon (Post 1073157)
I'm surprised to see only one person has mentioned this since it's clearly the hands-down thread winner for me.

mostly only shows up in some horror movies with devil related content but yeah it does get used quite often

Janszoon 06-18-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djchameleon (Post 1073168)
mostly only shows up in some horror movies with devil related content but yeah it does get used quite often

Oh it's used in a lot more contexts than just that. Check out this list.

djchameleon 06-18-2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janszoon (Post 1073170)
Oh it's used in a lot more contexts than just that. Check out this list.

hmmm okay I guess I just haven't noticed it then.

definitely thread winner based off of that list.

DevonWilliams 06-18-2011 11:00 PM

Anything by Kings of Leon or Beyonce

phantom1961 12-30-2011 01:40 PM

By AC/DC i'd say "If you want Blood (you've got it)...The Longest Yard Remake,Talledega Nights (The Legend of Ricky Bobby),Empire Records..and hell theres at least a cpl more..1 was a fairly recent movie,but i can't think of it just now..I like the song ,but its done to death..that and George Thorogood "Bad to the Bone"!

Janszoon 12-30-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phantom1961 (Post 1138533)
By AC/DC i'd say "If you want Blood (you've got it)...The Longest Yard Remake,Talledega Nights (The Legend of Ricky Bobby),Empire Records..and hell theres at least a cpl more..1 was a fairly recent movie,but i can't think of it just now..I like the song ,but its done to death..that and George Thorogood "Bad to the Bone"!

Oh god yes. It's actually been quite a while since I've heard it used but during the 80s and early 90s that song was inescapable in movies.

captaincaptain 12-30-2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janszoon (Post 1138556)
Oh god yes. It's actually been quite a while since I've heard it used but during the 80s and early 90s that song was inescapable in movies.

This song has a long history of it's use in media. Unfortunately it has lasted far beyond the 80s, 90s, and 00s. It is making it's rounds in the early part of this decade as well. Bad to the Bone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Budokan Disciple 03-08-2012 12:29 AM

Danse Macabre by Saint-Saens and Wagner's Flight of the Valkyries are both heavily used.

cledussnow 05-14-2012 01:42 PM

Not a classical piece I know, but American Girl by Tom Petty is on at least 4 soundtracks:

Chasing Liberty
FM
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Silence of the Lambs

Appears in these two also (which did not release soundtracks)

Sugar & Spice
Trojan War

also on the TV shows Scrubs, Cold Case, Parks and Recreation & The Sopranos

I'm sure there are more...

LaraP 07-11-2012 05:25 PM

Not sure if this qualifies, but Immigrant Song is vastly overused in movie trailers -- and that Walking on Sunshine song? Ugh. I love Immigrant Song but really, with so many great songs in the world, why use this over and over and over?

Neapolitan 07-11-2012 05:45 PM

O Fortuna from Carmina Burana by Car Orff...over-played.

Unknown Soldier 07-11-2012 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaraP (Post 1207732)
Not sure if this qualifies, but Immigrant Song is vastly overused in movie trailers -- and that Walking on Sunshine song? Ugh. I love Immigrant Song but really, with so many great songs in the world, why use this over and over and over?

Oh hell, that Walking on Sunshine song drives me nuts.

Freebase Dali 07-11-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier (Post 1207743)
Oh hell, that Walking on Sunshine song drives me nuts.

Every time I hear that song, I picture myself grinning from ear to ear, whistling and happily bouncing along, walking on the broken skulls and carnage that I left behind with like at least 3 machetes and 2 rocket propelled grenades.

Feels good.

Holerbot6000 07-13-2012 01:10 AM

I love ELO but every frickin' time they show some montage of some character getting their sh*t together in a movie these days, they play 'Mr. Blue Sky'. That song should be BANNED from ever being used in a movie again. No imagination in Hollywood. None.

djchameleon 09-25-2013 08:19 AM

I went through this thread again to see if these three were mentioned but they were surprisingly left out.

Low Rider


Let's get it on

Gah, couldn't even find a copy of him singing it on youtube. Stupid estate family


Numerous versions of Over The Rainbow I just posted this version because I really like it.

myetis 10-25-2013 06:58 AM

All classical - used since the B&W days of TV

Mr. Charlie 10-29-2013 07:40 PM

This may've been mentioned earlier but it's used way too often:


Rjinn 10-31-2013 03:18 AM

Gimme Shelter by The Rolling Stones needs a serious mention.

Funny enough I stumbled across this on youtube:

Aichuk 10-31-2013 03:30 AM

Gimme Shelter should be used in every movie!

Silenzio 11-01-2013 06:59 AM

I think Yann Tiersen's Comptine d'un autre ete l'apres midi is really overused.
Recently I heard the song in a documentary film... Same goes for Einaudi's Divenire.

Quite some pieces composed by Bach like the preludes can be heard often in movies.
Moreover Wagner's Bridal Chorus and Ave Maria composed by Schubert are pretty common.

Wpnfire 04-09-2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liljagare (Post 1018517)
"All Star" by Smash Mouth would also be on this list. It just seems to pop up here and there in movie trailers, tv shows, or in commericals for tv shows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freebase Dali (Post 1207746)
Every time I hear that song, I picture myself grinning from ear to ear, whistling and happily bouncing along, walking on the broken skulls and carnage that I left behind with like at least 3 machetes and 2 rocket propelled grenades.

Feels good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier (Post 1207743)
Oh hell, that Walking on Sunshine song drives me nuts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ron (Post 1072196)
walking on sunshine

I LOVE Smash Mouth, but the amount of times their songs have been used in movies has KILLED my love for them. Even Come on Come on was used in a Pizza Hut commercial for a while. Ugh, the only song by Smash Mouth I still listen to today is Who's There?, which I still love.
Hands down of the movies I've seen, All Star is probably the most overplayed to the point I dislike it





Quote:

Originally Posted by Sansa Stark (Post 1037528)
idec tho, i luv damon

I have no idea what you are saying

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burning Down (Post 1037665)
I think that song gets used in a fair amount of commercials too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sansa Stark (Post 1037682)
yeah, it's pretty much everywhere, tho usually it's just the insipid "woo hoo" part
:(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burning Down (Post 1037687)
I love the song though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peace Frog (Post 1072925)
I do like Song 2 but yeah, overused definitely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by djchameleon (Post 1073039)
Not used enough you mean!

I've never heard Song 2 in a movie. I've seen it in videos from NewGrounds and FlashPortal on the internet, but not in movies.





Quote:

Originally Posted by The Batlord (Post 1072527)
I'm amazed no one has mentioned AC/DC by now. "Thunderstruck" needs to be banned from ever being performed on another movie...ever.

Hm, I disagree. We need more hard rock in movies, not less. I still find Back in Black along with all AC/DC songs, refreshing when I hear them in movies.




Reading through this thread, I saw one notable song people left out.






Ugh, I can't stand that song anymore. It's a great song, but it's lost its effect on me just like All Star.

Black Francis 05-06-2014 06:18 PM

This one they use alot when a character is wondering the streets or when he is being introspective or something.


Frownland 05-06-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Francis (Post 1447585)
This one they use alot when a character is wondering the streets or when he is being introspective or something.


I think that's done mostly in homage or parody of Midnight Cowboy. I can't think of any other movies it's in, though.

Black Francis 05-06-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frownland (Post 1447595)
I think that's done mostly in homage or parody of Midnight Cowboy. I can't think of any other movies it's in, though.

They use it on Borat as well as other flicks ive seen.

that's how i know the song, idk that guy's career or any other song of his but ive heard this song in a couple of movies and i think i heard it in Futurama too

*google search*

Yup, they used it on Futurama too.

Holerbot6000 10-22-2014 10:39 AM

Mr. Blue Sky by ELO. Every time there is a montage of some character getting their complete sheet together in 10 minutes (just like in real life!) they play 'Mr. Blue Sky'. I love ELO but I think there should be a law that states once a song has been used in 3 movies, there is a instant moratorium.

Black Francis 10-22-2014 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holerbot6000 (Post 1500467)
Mr. Blue Sky by ELO. Every time there is a montage of some character getting their complete sheet together in 10 minutes (just like in real life!) they play 'Mr. Blue Sky'. I love ELO but I think there should be a law that states once a song has been used in 3 movies, there is a instant moratorium.

Ikr? and why does the song have hammer sounds in it? i know that has nothing to with it but it always reminds me of Maxwell's silver hammer. in fact the whole song sounds like an amalgam of popular Beatles songs

Holerbot6000 10-23-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Francis (Post 1500526)
Ikr? and why does the song have hammer sounds in it? i know that has nothing to with it but it always reminds me of Maxwell's silver hammer. in fact the whole song sounds like an amalgam of popular Beatles songs

Well you could say that about a LOT of ELO songs...:thumb:

Rexx Shredd 10-26-2014 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holerbot6000 (Post 1500467)
Mr. Blue Sky by ELO. Every time there is a montage of some character getting their complete sheet together in 10 minutes (just like in real life!) they play 'Mr. Blue Sky'. I love ELO but I think there should be a law that states once a song has been used in 3 movies, there is a instant moratorium.

Ha Ha Ha Ha --- First song I thought of when I read the thread title :laughing:
:beer:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holerbot6000 (Post 1500723)
Well you could say that about a LOT of ELO songs...:thumb:


True Dat, but they are great in their own weird Beatle-esque way......The Beatles never did an album like Eldorado and they really departed from The Beatles-sound on the On The Third Day album where they sounded more like an amalgamation of T-Rex and Yes than The Beatles


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:27 AM.


© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.