Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Sport & Recreation
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2015, 05:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Komopingetmi
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 31,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Oh come on! You of all people? How many American Footballers have had their careers ended due to injury? They don't head the ball, they don't have to contend with the kind of tackles soccer players do. Full contact sport? Tell that to someone who's been chopped down in the box, has to be stretchered off and is out for months, maybe a season.
Okay, sounds like you clearly don't know what you're talking about. About 50% of American footballers break or seriously injure their legs/ankles, not to mention concussions and other **** like that. I've met a former player once and he said that the majority of his paycheck went to hospital bills and he still goes through physical therapy after racking up all those injuries. Given that these guys are out there tackling each other, it is also a full contact sport. Deny that if you want but you might want to fill Webster's in on your new definition.

Soccer can be dangerous too, but given that football revolves around people running into each other at full speed, it is much more dangerous. Hence the pads (which are a lot harder than you'd expect, it's not like they're wearing pillows out to the field). I don't even like either sport tbh, but facts are fax.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Oh come on! You of all people? How many American Footballers have had their careers ended due to injury?
I'm sure there's a few who have, hopefully someone else will come through and post examples. Neither of us will know cos we don't watch it.

It's very rare for soccer players to have their careers ended by an injury though and when it happens it's massive news.

Quote:
They don't head the ball, they don't have to contend with the kind of tackles soccer players do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtCgquOsXeo

Have a look at some of them. Those tackles are worse. I would imagine there has been some neck breaks. There is a reason why pads are worn.

Quote:
Full contact sport? Tell that to someone who's been chopped down in the box, has to be stretchered off and is out for months, maybe a season.
But that is illegal. The laws of the game don't allow the sort of tackles in the video posted above or even in rugby. Soccer is not a full contact sport.

By the way I'm not saying AF is better, but I would say soccer is safer. This is not a bad thing.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
WWWP f*cks dogs
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 38,997
Default

It's an open secret in American football that a lot of the players, especially the 300 lb+ guys, are dying in their forties and fifties, because the stress they put themselves through is so extreme that it just destroys their bodies and ruins their hearts. These are people who are basically performing at the scientific extremes of what the human body is capable of: from physical exertion, to the impacts of such massive people colliding, over and over again, at full speed.

Heavy NFL players twice as likely to die before 50
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,740
Default

It's true I know ****-all about AF: didn't mean to offend anyone by putting it down. It just seemed odd that soccer was seen as a safer sport, when I would have gone for golf or maybe tennis. Anyway, God Bless America!
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
Oracle
 
RoxyRollah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Closer then you think.....
Posts: 3,982
Default

Umm Im gonna go with alot for 100.00 please Alex.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Roxy is unable to perpetrate violence. It always somehow turns into BDSM between two consenting adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I just want to say your tits are lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Roxy is the William S. Burroughs of our time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I like Roxy, she's awesome and her taste in music far exceeds yours. Roxy is in the Major League bro, and you're like a sad clown in a two bit rodeo.
RoxyRollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #16 (permalink)
Just Keep Swimming...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: See signature...
Posts: 4,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
It's true I know ****-all about AF: didn't mean to offend anyone by putting it down. It just seemed odd that soccer was seen as a safer sport, when I would have gone for golf or maybe tennis. Anyway, God Bless America!
The main difference between the two would be that Soccer, or European Football, is more of a stamina, or endurance sport, and contact is fairly minimal such as in say, a baseball game where contact is incidental. AF is more about short bursts of power, and is a full contact sport where the contact is extreme, and constant. I've played both, and while I wasn't really good at soccer, it was still exhausting, but I excelled at AF, although I was constantly injured and had to quit while I was in H.S. due to a dislocated shoulder that put me out for the season, and I never really went back to it.
__________________
See location...
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:23 AM   #17 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
Umm Im gonna go with alot for 100.00 please Alex.
?

Good summary Plankton.

Is anyone gonna watch the US tonight then ? It's 1:00am UK time.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Nobody likes my music
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In Cognito
Posts: 21,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
The main difference between the two would be that Soccer, or European Football, is more of a stamina, or endurance sport, and contact is fairly minimal such as in say, a baseball game where contact is incidental. AF is more about short bursts of power, and is a full contact sport where the contact is extreme, and constant. I've played both, and while I wasn't really good at soccer, it was still exhausting, but I excelled at AF, although I was constantly injured and had to quit while I was in H.S. due to a dislocated shoulder that put me out for the season, and I never really went back to it.
I bet that guitar slung over your shoulder got in the way too. That thing you had of playing a scorching solo every time you scored!
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Just Keep Swimming...
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: See signature...
Posts: 4,890
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I bet that guitar slung over your shoulder got in the way too. That thing you had of playing a scorching solo every time you scored!
Actually, I picked up a guitar when I put the football down. Very similar to Joe Satriani's story, except my main influence was Randy Rhodes, instead of Jimi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from Joe Satriani's wiki page
He was inspired to play guitar at age 14, after hearing of the death of Jimi Hendrix. He has been said to have heard the news during football practice, where he then announced to his coach that he was quitting to become a guitarist.
I think it's kind of neat, but I tend to stay away from the comparison, I'm not even in the same league of that caliber of playing. Plus, he practices more.
__________________
See location...
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #20 (permalink)
Former Vulpix
 
Ninetales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: livin wild
Posts: 2,124
Default

actually this world cup is in my home town. not going to go to a game cuz its expensive as hell but ive watched both Canada matches so far. its actually got pretty hyped here. soccer is fairly popular here in general, weve got an indoor "mini world cup" that happens every 4(?) years and soccer centres turn into madhouses. its loads of fun. can imagine going to a womens world cup game would just be a reason for me to get loaded as well.

in terms of it being safe or whatever why not just have the middle ground and watch hockey?? you got the speed and the danger
Ninetales is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.