Guitar plug adapters (electronic, metal, review, track, band) - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Stereo & Production Equipment
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6
Default Guitar plug adapters

I'm trying to record me playing my guitar onto a laptop. The only thing is that I don't know what the adapters are called to make your guitar plug small enough to fit in the line-in socket in my computer. I know that it's female to female. I'd like to know so I can search for the right one to buy.

I'd assume all guitars have the same size sockets and plugs. What are the adapters called (is it a weird combination of numbers and letters?) that I snap on one end of my guitar chord to plug into my computer to record it?

Also, could that plug be stereo not mono when the guitar plug is mono?

Broadway or country anyone?
Angel of Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
you wouldn't like me
pianokeys's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 114

Me and my band usually use stuff like this:

Buy MacMice GuitarPlug - Guitar to USB adaptor Mac (DV308ZZ) with Free UK Mainland Delivery | AllMacShop

But I think that is pretty much what you are looking for? A guitar to USB adaptor-type device? There are so many different models and types out there I'm not sure which ones would suit your specific needs.
pianokeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 02:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
mr dave's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,315

that USB adapter looks pretty nifty, although from the look of things you would also need a USB cable right? if you're not going through USB then all you need a simple adapter going from 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch. they're usually about $2-3 at electronic stores (usually with headphone accessories)

you can tell if the adapter is stereo or mono by the amount of stripes on the metal pole (like in the pic - 2 stripes = stereo).

if you're running a mono cable then a stereo adapter won't make any difference. just double your track and call one 'left' and the other 'right'.
i am the universe

Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads

© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.