Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 05:40 PM   #21 (permalink)
Get Thrashed
 
DMBassDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado.
Posts: 79
Default

quite.

I also run my gear through an octave pedal and a Bass Microsynth. that set me back
__________________

"*psh...* we'll be fine..."
-Titanic capitain, 1912

Last edited by DMBassDude; 03-31-2009 at 07:00 PM.
DMBassDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Man vs. Wild Turkey
 
ElephantSack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ATX
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_override View Post
Not a huge fan of the line 6's they sound too digital for me. Im looking for something with some accurate sounding effects. Might go to GC this weekend and play around.

p.s. yes actually i was in a jazz outfit for about 9 months back in Indiana. I just prefer a four string Bass is all, and i noticed you and dave say you play 5 strings. Thought I would throw that out there.
I was just reminded of when I went to a presentation by Steve Bailey, and he said something about when 5 strings first came out, he had a guy in Canada make one for him. He was playing for Dizzy Guillespie at the time, and he mentioned how those deep deep bottom end notes are like a big sofa to sink down into. That's mainly the reason I really like 5s. Can never really get too deep.
ElephantSack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
Get Thrashed
 
DMBassDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado.
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantSack View Post
I was just reminded of when I went to a presentation by Steve Bailey, and he said something about when 5 strings first came out, he had a guy in Canada make one for him. He was playing for Dizzy Guillespie at the time, and he mentioned how those deep deep bottom end notes are like a big sofa to sink down into. That's mainly the reason I really like 5s. Can never really get too deep.
True. very true. whenever I have a 4 string i want to detune, it sucks because i have to restring it with these huge mutherf*ck*ng strings and it sounds too crappy. that's why I like 5's.
__________________

"*psh...* we'll be fine..."
-Titanic capitain, 1912
DMBassDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:29 PM   #24 (permalink)
Man vs. Wild Turkey
 
ElephantSack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ATX
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBassDude View Post
True. very true. whenever I have a 4 string i want to detune, it sucks because i have to restring it with these huge mutherf*ck*ng strings and it sounds too crappy. that's why I like 5's.
Yeah, I used to do that, too. But then it started fucking with my intonation. But I gotta admit, whenever I discovered 5s as a kid I was rather intrigued. I still have 2 4s tuned down to drop C#. My 5s I actually drop tune down to A.
ElephantSack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:31 PM   #25 (permalink)
Get Thrashed
 
DMBassDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado.
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantSack View Post
Yeah, I used to do that, too. But then it started fucking with my intonation. But I gotta admit, whenever I discovered 5s as a kid I was rather intrigued. I still have 2 4s tuned down to drop C#. My 5s I actually drop tune down to A.
Holy sh*t arew you in Korn or somthin'?
__________________

"*psh...* we'll be fine..."
-Titanic capitain, 1912
DMBassDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
Man vs. Wild Turkey
 
ElephantSack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ATX
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
that's pretty cool. reminds me of a mash-up of pantera and meshuggah. good recording quality too, what did you guys use? or did you pay for studio time?

my one concern with the method you describe above is that it's an easy way to trap yourself into a corner. you seem to have a good attitude to get around that though, so long as you remember that sometimes 'not' playing a single note is more challenging than playing the entire scale.



as for CO's 5-string hate, whatever my co-worker thinks they're redundant instruments too. i can understand people not liking the extra width of the neck, that's quite understandable and it 'was' an adjustment when i made the jump. on the other hand, crapping on the instrument because you think the extra string is superfluous is foolish.

for me it's all about tone, it's the same reason one of my guitars is tuned down to C. my approach is not that i'm playing bass so i should plunk down some root notes on my low-B, but to consider its full potential range and to apply it to the moment as necessary.
Hey, thanks a lot, man. Pantera was a very transitional inspiration for us. We actually used to be a classic rock cover band, playing 4 hour shows when I was 11-15. It definitely helped to develop necessary chops and hand strength. But then Pantera, Rage Against the Machine, Alice in Chains and puberty took over, and we went in our own direction with our original material.

I hear you on the whole genre-trap folly. That's always been a trap that we've been wary to avoid. Our full-length should demonstrate that pretty well. And I've always been grateful for bands that have had the guts to expand their repertoire regardless of initial scene notoriety. A good example I think is Between the Buried and Me.

Shit, we're getting totally off-topic here, aren't we? You think we start another thread?
ElephantSack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:39 PM   #27 (permalink)
Get Thrashed
 
DMBassDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado.
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantSack View Post
Hey, thanks a lot, man. Pantera was a very transitional inspiration for us. We actually used to be a classic rock cover band, playing 4 hour shows when I was 11-15. It definitely helped to develop necessary chops and hand strength. But then Pantera, Rage Against the Machine, Alice in Chains and puberty took over, and we went in our own direction with our original material.

I hear you on the whole genre-trap folly. That's always been a trap that we've been wary to avoid. Our full-length should demonstrate that pretty well. And I've always been grateful for bands that have had the guts to expand their repertoire regardless of initial scene notoriety. A good example I think is Between the Buried and Me.

Shit, we're getting totally off-topic here, aren't we? You think we start another thread?
Perhaps we can just keep talking here and completely ignore that lol
__________________

"*psh...* we'll be fine..."
-Titanic capitain, 1912
DMBassDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:40 PM   #28 (permalink)
Man vs. Wild Turkey
 
ElephantSack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: ATX
Posts: 947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBassDude View Post
Holy sh*t arew you in Korn or somthin'?
**** YOU!! HAHA! I hate Korn...
ElephantSack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 PM   #29 (permalink)
Get Thrashed
 
DMBassDude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Colorado.
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantSack View Post
**** YOU!! HAHA! I hate Korn...
Yeah LOL i do too, they got too poppy. But they tune down to A flat, Sometimes to a 2nd low B.
__________________

"*psh...* we'll be fine..."
-Titanic capitain, 1912
DMBassDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:18 PM   #30 (permalink)
Seemingly Silenced
 
crash_override's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Everett, WA
Posts: 2,308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBassDude View Post
Yeah LOL i do too, they got too poppy. But they tune down to A flat, Sometimes to a 2nd low B.
Yeah that play 5 and 7 strings though. Makes it alot easier to pull that off.
crash_override is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.