Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Groupie
 
2dogsrunning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: the daggum south
Posts: 26
Default build your own

I'm seriously considering building my own guitar cabs and I aim to make them mean as ****. I play for an experimental/progressive metal band and I feel like the ol' Marshall 1960 cabs are good, but they don't have the punch I hear in my head. I'm thinking about incorporating a 15" in the cab to give my seven-string that much more gravity and to have a Vader sound to it. I really haven't done much brainstorming, just a lot of daydreaming. Anyone got some advice?
2dogsrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
SO IS YOUR FACE
 
Ricochet~kun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: in the groove
Posts: 113
Default

building your own CABNINTS? thats a new one. i say: go for it! ive heard of building guitars, but i want to know how this comes out =P
if i were you, i would buy speakers first, or google how they are build, and go from there
__________________
ROCK AND ROLL
Ricochet~kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

You have to remember that using a bigger speaker won't necessarily make your sound good. It'll reproduce lower frequencies in greater amounts, but the larger the cone, the more you lose fine control over it, which may well hurt your midrange performance, which is where the guitars voice really is.

Make sure to tune the cab if you can. A cab that is too big will produce too much low end and you'll end up stepping all over the bass in a mix.

(BTW, As a note, I really can't stand it when people assume that more bass is the answer to all their problems. If you listen to any well produced record, you'll find that even heavy bands use a much more high and mid frequency based sound than you'd think, because too much bass from the guitars just turns everything into mud.)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
SO IS YOUR FACE
 
Ricochet~kun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: in the groove
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
You have to remember that using a bigger speaker won't necessarily make your sound good. It'll reproduce lower frequencies in greater amounts, but the larger the cone, the more you lose fine control over it, which may well hurt your midrange performance, which is where the guitars voice really is.

Make sure to tune the cab if you can. A cab that is too big will produce too much low end and you'll end up stepping all over the bass in a mix.

(BTW, As a note, I really can't stand it when people assume that more bass is the answer to all their problems. If you listen to any well produced record, you'll find that even heavy bands use a much more high and mid frequency based sound than you'd think, because too much bass from the guitars just turns everything into mud.)
*writes all this down on notepad*
*loves advice from more skilled musicians*
__________________
ROCK AND ROLL
Ricochet~kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

I suggest you try and listen to and seperate out the guitar tones from your favourite songs. Listen very carefully to exactly how much of the signal you're hearing is bass, how much of it is a single guitar track, and how much of it is actually one guitar part, double tracked.

You'll find yourself consistently surprised by one thing - Those huge meshuggah and Gojira-esque guitar sounds are very rarely as bassy as they sound in a mix, and they very rarely use as much gain on them as you'd think. Seperated out of the mix, they sound remarkably thin.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
SO IS YOUR FACE
 
Ricochet~kun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: in the groove
Posts: 113
Default

rlly...? i never would have thought... that probably explains why i fail whenever i try to mix a track with guitar parts...
__________________
ROCK AND ROLL
Ricochet~kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

Super heavy bands rely on the drums and bass following the guitar parts to create those huge sounds. Listen to the drumming on Gojira's 'The heaviest matter of the universe'

Hear how all the hits on the drums sync with the guitar part?

And where is the bass in that mix? Completely mixed with the guitar part.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

there are plenty of tutorials for building amp cabinets online. a simple google search will hook you up.

there are a few other electrical considerations that need to be addressed before you start working on a cab as well. mainly the impedance of the speakers vs. the ratio of volts and amperes in your amp. i just read an article on it and now my head hurts, good luck.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Groupie
 
2dogsrunning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: the daggum south
Posts: 26
Default

Yeah, I know what you mean regarding gain. I run through a TSL100 and have the gain set at 6. Just enough teeth to hurt, but it doesn't descend into mud. I have a fair understanding of mids and bass. I wouldn't go as far as to use 15"s exclusively in the cab, but I was considering maybe 3x12" & 1x15". Sounds like a crazy design. I'd like to go balls-out and hook it up with a rotary speaker at the bottom as well just as an option, but I don't have that kind of money, I'm sure. I'll be making at least 2 cabs because I'm the only guitarist in the band and I want to spread it full onstage.
2dogsrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogsrunning View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean regarding gain. I run through a TSL100 and have the gain set at 6. Just enough teeth to hurt, but it doesn't descend into mud. I have a fair understanding of mids and bass. I wouldn't go as far as to use 15"s exclusively in the cab, but I was considering maybe 3x12" & 1x15". Sounds like a crazy design. I'd like to go balls-out and hook it up with a rotary speaker at the bottom as well just as an option, but I don't have that kind of money, I'm sure. I'll be making at least 2 cabs because I'm the only guitarist in the band and I want to spread it full onstage.
15"s are gonna do nothing to improve your tone. Your low end is just gonna' bag out. I'd suggest a really good parametric EQ and a quality compressor. As for the rotaries. It's a hot idea but if your trying to actually get a legit cab stand in line behind the B3 players that want/need them. There's a company that makes a rack sized rotary that sounds really nice, can't remember who it is though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.