Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGio View Post
Yeah hardships put to a minimum would be nice.
He means higher up the neck, btw. As a general rule that won't be an issue for a beginner unless you intend on learning songs with particularly high passages.

----------------
Listening to: Michael Lee Firkins - [Black Light Sonatas #02] Two Guns Left [foobar2000 v1.1.2 beta 4]
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Geetarguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
He means higher up the neck, btw. As a general rule that won't be an issue for a beginner unless you intend on learning songs with particularly high passages.

----------------
Listening to: Michael Lee Firkins - [Black Light Sonatas #02] Two Guns Left [foobar2000 v1.1.2 beta 4]
Exactly. I mean you should get it so you would not need to buy another guitar for quite some time. You'd get alot more play out of it if you want to learn any solos off the bat..
I have quite a few friends who did that. Its just IMO.
Geetarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
rnrloser_IX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North bum-feck, NH
Posts: 98
Default

Another acoustic for the 300-400 range are Corts. I've had one for about three years and I love the warm, full tone.
__________________
-IX
rnrloser_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10
Default

I don't have big hands so something with a thinner neck?? would be good too.
CGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Geetarguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 127
Default

If I remember correctly, Ovation's have pretty thin necks. around 300 dollars for one, or an Applause Ovation for even less. They are real cool looking too!

Also your hands will stretch.. One of my favorite guitarists is Tim Reynolds, and he seriously has the hands of a child :P
Geetarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetarguy View Post
If I remember correctly, Ovation's have pretty thin necks. around 300 dollars for one, or an Applause Ovation for even less. They are real cool looking too!

Also your hands will stretch.. One of my favorite guitarists is Tim Reynolds, and he seriously has the hands of a child :P
Unfortunately, I'e never played an ovation that didn't sound terrible. Even the nice ones.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Geetarguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Unfortunately, I'e never played an ovation that didn't sound terrible. Even the nice ones.
I've played a couple really nice ones. TBH thought they may have been Aadamus Ovations from the 70s. I cannot remember, wish i could
Geetarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetarguy View Post
I've played a couple really nice ones. TBH thought they may have been Aadamus Ovations from the 70s. I cannot remember, wish i could
The way they play is fine. the sound, rather less so.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #19 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
[Royal Tenenbaum]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 72
Default

Taylor Big Baby is nice, but it's $450
__________________
MOMMY MAD AT ME 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

[Royal Tenenbaum] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Flume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 99
Default

I got a Yamaha FG730 - It's my first steel stringed guitar, and I'm really happy with it. The Neck isn't too thick or wide, so it's quite easy to finger it. I can't remember the exact price but I think it's around 300$ (don't take my word for it though, I don't live in the US.) The biggest tip anyone can give you though is - make sure you play the guitar before you get it, even though you may not know a lot about guitars you'll know if you like the feel of it. Pick out a few models that seem like valid options, and go to your local store and browse around and also ask for their opinion.

Good luck and hang in there in the start - it gets better .
Flume is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.