Music Banter

Music Banter (https://www.musicbanter.com/)
-   Talk Instruments (https://www.musicbanter.com/talk-instruments/)
-   -   Setup (https://www.musicbanter.com/talk-instruments/60826-setup.html)

Peppermint4life 02-10-2012 08:26 PM

Setup
 
I recently got a new amp. A 1976 Twin Reverb with original speakers. I was just curious if this is enough for a small venue. Say, about 250 people? I'll be playing a sorta punkish-blues hybrid thing.

Dr_Rez 02-12-2012 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppermint4life (Post 1152797)
I recently got a new amp. A 1976 Twin Reverb with original speakers. I was just curious if this is enough for a small venue. Say, about 250 people? I'll be playing a sorta punkish-blues hybrid thing.

If im correct its a 100 watt silverface twin. That amp is so mother ****ing loud is absurd. People would not normally think this but it can hang with any marshall stack any day of the week. Unless you are playing a stadium you wouldnt even need to mic the thing unless you wanted to. I dont think you comprehend how loud and how much headroom a 100 or even 85 watt fender has. I hope you are using pedals because your not getting any breakup out of that amp unless your ears are bleeding.

Dont get me wrong though, a silverface twin is one baddass amp. My friend just got a 74 and the thing has the most beautiful clean sound you could ever imagine. And for a frame of reference I have a 15 watt tube amp that can be played overdriven or clean in mosts bars and clubs without being miced. People dont give tube amp rating enough credit.

Their is a reason people play hot rods, blues jr's, and other smaller amps than just them being smaller. They dont have nearly as much headroom so they can get that breakup at tolerable volume levels. If your playing dirty with a twin pedals are a must. But at least your clean tone will be unstoppable.

Peppermint4life 02-14-2012 02:09 AM

I could always use my big muff pi for distortion. Or do you think that I should just play through my Egnater Rebel? Its 20 watts. My goal is to play without being miced, too. Something about it just doesn't set right with me. *shrug. :/

Dr_Rez 02-14-2012 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppermint4life (Post 1154363)
I could always use my big muff pi for distortion. Or do you think that I should just play through my Egnater Rebel? Its 20 watts. My goal is to play without being miced, too. Something about it just doesn't set right with me. *shrug. :/

The egnator would probably be loud enough, If you were not sure just hook it up to a 4x12 and your fine.

rnrloser_IX 02-15-2012 12:11 AM

Are you micing your drummer? If not, than any tube amp above 50 watts should easily be able to go over the loudest drummer. Here's a little hint: if you ain't micing your drummer, then you just found your maximum volume. And if you're gonna take the time to tediously set up drum mics, then call that sound b**** over and have him throw a dang mic in front the amp and call it good. Way easier than micing a drum. Besides, those tube amps carry. I have a small vox, about 1/10 Watt, 1 Watt or 4 Watts and its crazy loud and full on 4 watts and fills a room. Like RezZ said, you don't need much tube power to blow people's head off, I'm looking at going down from my 100 watt Peavey to an AC30.

Dr_Rez 02-15-2012 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrloser_IX (Post 1154821)
Are you micing your drummer? If not, than any tube amp above 50 watts should easily be able to go over the loudest drummer. Here's a little hint: if you ain't micing your drummer, then you just found your maximum volume. And if you're gonna take the time to tediously set up drum mics, then call that sound b**** over and have him throw a dang mic in front the amp and call it good. Way easier than micing a drum. Besides, those tube amps carry. I have a small vox, about 1/10 Watt, 1 Watt or 4 Watts and its crazy loud and full on 4 watts and fills a room. Like RezZ said, you don't need much tube power to blow people's head off, I'm looking at going down from my 100 watt Peavey to an AC30.

Take a look at Blackheart Hothead 100. It can go 100 or 50 watts and has a class a setting that goes all the way down to 30 watts. Really good quality, I would own one but my 15 watter is to loud as it is.

rnrloser_IX 02-15-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RezZ (Post 1154838)
Take a look at Blackheart Hothead 100. It can go 100 or 50 watts and has a class a setting that goes all the way down to 30 watts. Really good quality, I would own one but my 15 watter is to loud as it is.

That's ridiculous. I've heard of Blackhearts but I've never actually seen one in a shop or anywhere to demo. What exactly is Class A anyway? I know my valveking has a texture knob on the back that shoots it from A to AB.

GuitarBizarre 02-16-2012 04:52 PM

Wattage is not the same as volume.

Sensitivity of the speaker cone makes the difference.

Dr_Rez 02-17-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrloser_IX (Post 1154936)
That's ridiculous. I've heard of Blackhearts but I've never actually seen one in a shop or anywhere to demo. What exactly is Class A anyway? I know my valveking has a texture knob on the back that shoots it from A to AB.

Check this link out.
Class-A Amplifiers explained

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre (Post 1155571)
Wattage is not the same as volume.

Sensitivity of the speaker cone makes the difference.

No but it is a good gauge of how loud the amp will "sound" to you. While it may barely be louder 100 vs 15 watts yours ears will hear the extra frequencies being pushed through giving it a fuller sound tricking your ears into thinking its actually louder.

That is why bands with lower mids/bass heavy music use such high wattage amps. (besides just looking cool) While using a miced/unmiced 30 or even 50 watter you will get just as loud but wont have nearly the same full sound when the lower notes are being played. Now this is assuming of coarse all the amps have the same speaker rating and speaker size.

rnrloser_IX 02-17-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre (Post 1155571)
Wattage is not the same as volume.

Sensitivity of the speaker cone makes the difference.

Yeah. If I'm not mistaken, I read somewhere that to double the total decibels output of an amp, you need something in the ballpark of quadruple the wattage. Like I said, if you're amp can put you to par with your drummer and everyone else, than thats as loud as you need. Then, instead of sinking your money into getting the "loudest amp," try and put it toward sound quality.

Hey GB, I have a Valveking 212 and I like it an all, but there are a few tonal things that I'm not overly satisfied with. For some reason, at distance my amp gains a lot of highs and the lows start to choke out a bit. I've noticed this with my friends amp too. Also, the sound is very linear,not so much expansive. Is this just an anomaly with guitar amps or is this my amp? If it is, then is there a way I could fix that? I've played with the tones until I've gotten good balance and cut, but that trend is always there.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:19 AM.


© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.