Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Whatever, dude
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 70
Default Fixing a telecaster input jack?

It wiggles around. When I play, the guitar goes SHKRAAWKECHUKACHUCKA and then stops sounding. I tried twisting the little bolt thingy by hand and with a wrench and it just comes undone again. FRUSTRATED.


Halp?

Last edited by Batman; 03-25-2012 at 11:43 PM.
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

Take it into your local shop. Sounds like the input jack got stripped somehow, especially if you can't tighten the bolt with a wrench (I find needle nose pliers work better though).
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Whatever, dude
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 70
Default

Ugh I was hoping I wouldn't have to drop money on it. I hope it won't be pricey. While I have a thread about my guitar, might as well ask if anyone has advice on getting this kinda guitar tone:



I bought a telecaster because I knew/thought they could make this kinda sound but no matter what settings I use on my amp it just doesn't get that bright. The album version sounds much brighter but apparently it's not on youtube.

Edit: And thx for the tip. Did you draw that thing on your avatar? It's hecka neato.

Last edited by Batman; 04-02-2012 at 12:11 AM. Reason: due courtesy and futher inquiries. sukkit.
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

It shouldn't be too pricey if you can't fix it yourself.

Have you pulled the jack from the body? There should be enough extra wire to pull it out (gently) to double check all the connections. Make sure that you're able to actually tighten the nut around the post and that it's actually fastening the post to the casing as opposed to just rotating the innards.

As for that tone... good luck. It looks like he's playing a Gibson or Epiphone hollow body. I don't know of an easy way to get that kind of super bright shimmery tone on a solidbody. Telecasters are more about twang than shine. Maybe something like a chorus set to maximum effect with minimum manipulation of the original sound or an EQ and a lot of luck.

The avatar was drawn by a friend years ago. I'll pass on the compliment, he digs hearing it. I remember Odyshape also liking it enough to start trying to emulate some of the style and technique in his own drawings, they were good, my buddy was impressed.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,190
Default

Id say just play through a Fender or Vox with treble turned super high. Make sure to get steel strings that are super thin and walla.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Whatever, dude
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
It shouldn't be too pricey if you can't fix it yourself.

Have you pulled the jack from the body? There should be enough extra wire to pull it out (gently) to double check all the connections. Make sure that you're able to actually tighten the nut around the post and that it's actually fastening the post to the casing as opposed to just rotating the innards.
I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to the mechanics er whatever of guitars. I'm not really sure what you just asked me. I haven't pulled anything out- the only things I've tried to do are twist the little hexagon thingy (the nut?) by hand, wrench, and pliers. Are you implying that the things you can do yourself are more expensive, then? I'd imagine it must just be for the nuissance of the task if so.

Quote:
As for that tone... good luck. It looks like he's playing a Gibson or Epiphone hollow body. I don't know of an easy way to get that kind of super bright shimmery tone on a solidbody. Telecasters are more about twang than shine. Maybe something like a chorus set to maximum effect with minimum manipulation of the original sound or an EQ and a lot of luck.
I'll try and find one of those hollowbody teles on Craig**** to trade mine for. Well it still twang though? At some point I'd like to be able to do twang, shimmer, and crunch with one guitar and amp. Like Husker Du but with a bit of a southern country vibe. I've heard having multiple channels with different EQing can help with this. Yay? Nay?

Quote:
Id say just play through a Fender or Vox with treble turned super high. Make sure to get steel strings that are super thin and walla.
I've got the thin steel strings and they definitely sound brighter but I miss the feel of heavies . They certainly are easier to bend though. Just have a practice amp from Orange. Treble and tone knob are all the way, Bass and mids backed down. Stilll nuthin close. I've been eyeing the CHAMP XD, of which I've heard great things, think it could do it?

Quote:
The avatar was drawn by a friend years ago. I'll pass on the compliment, he digs hearing it. I remember Odyshape also liking it enough to start trying to emulate some of the style and technique in his own drawings, they were good, my buddy was impressed.
There's a graffiti artist mostly based in the east bay that has a similar style too. The whole neurotic eyes on a creepy cute thing that may have been drawn by someone on LSD deal. Sometimes skulls with big arse horns or eggs in their heads. I think he signs at least some of them but I don't remember his tag. Yer friend wouldn't happen to live in the San Francisco bay area and be into graffiti would he?

As for Odyshape- I've been lurking around here for a while before making an account but I'm still too new to recognize the other users. I'll have to look im up.
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
Registered Jimmy Rustler
 
Dr_Rez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 5,190
Default

Then just get heavy bottoms and light tops. Any chords you need to sound bright learn the voicings for the first four strings.
__________________
*Best chance of losing virginity is in prison crew*
*Always Checks Credentials Crew*
*nba > nfl crew*
*Shave one of my legs to pretend its a girl in my bed crew*
*Flakes on Dates to go Hoop crew*

Power: Yamaha Rx-v363
Speakers:2 Boston Acoustics A100's, 2 Pioneer HPM-60's
Headphones: Audio Technica M50, Sony MDR-XB500
Dr_Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
I'm still a bit of a noob when it comes to the mechanics er whatever of guitars. I'm not really sure what you just asked me. I haven't pulled anything out- the only things I've tried to do are twist the little hexagon thingy (the nut?) by hand, wrench, and pliers. Are you implying that the things you can do yourself are more expensive, then? I'd imagine it must just be for the nuissance of the task if so.

There's a graffiti artist mostly based in the east bay that has a similar style too. The whole neurotic eyes on a creepy cute thing that may have been drawn by someone on LSD deal. Sometimes skulls with big arse horns or eggs in their heads. I think he signs at least some of them but I don't remember his tag. Yer friend wouldn't happen to live in the San Francisco bay area and be into graffiti would he?
Hold everything. I was assuming the jack on a Tele was rather standard and similar to either my Strat or one of the flat jacks on my Les Paul styled guitars.



That's NOT the case. Scrap my original tips and check these links:

STEWMAC.COM : Issue 4, Two ways to fix a Telecaster's wobbly input jack




I didn't realize it was an actual common issue with the model. If you still don't feel comfortable unscrewing things and poking around in there take it to the shop. I wouldn't expect it to cost more than $20, maybe $40 tops to fix an input jack. They normally sell for $5-10.

-----

As for the visual art my friends and I are about as far removed from San Fran as you can get on the continent haha we're over in on the Atlantic coast of Canada hahaha. Don't suppose you can snap a pic of some of that graffiti? That would be pretty cool hehehe
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Whatever, dude
 
Batman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 70
Default

Goddamn Canadians. We're coming to getchoo, just like we done them Injuns. This here's OUR land, bitches, and it's OUR GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO OWN ALL OF IT.

Back on topic:

I spend an obscene amount of time on youtube and didnt think to look it up there... herpyderpy <_<. That looks hard. I'll have to drop the twam or doubletwam :/. Also, lol it looks like he's finger****in the guitar.

The Graff:

It's not in my neighborhood anymore since I moved out from home but I know there's a sticker at the bart station in castro valley. I'm going there next weekend and I'll try and remember to get a pic, though if I recall correctly it doesn't have as much of a resemblence as some of the other stuff I've seen. If I happen to catch one on the bus or something I'll do the same with the pixerwixerz.
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.