Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Artists Corner > Talk Instruments
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Default Reading Music Notes

Hi there.
I'm new here, i was hoping to find a section on this forum about reading music.
I'm trying to learn to read music notes.
Can anyone translate these three samples below? (i.e.. C4... etc)

Sorry if i put this in the wrong section.
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Reading Music Notes-notes.jpg  
binary101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 113
Default

What do you mean 'C4' ... there are no chords. Do you mean the each note quality?
CLOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSER View Post
What do you mean 'C4' ... there are no chords. Do you mean the each note quality?
Yes, ideally i'm looking for what each note represents. Thank you.
binary101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 113
Default

I would also suggest just learning that in the treble clef each line is

This is a super simple way to remember the line values and is an easy skill to keep with you

E G B D F you can remember this as "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge" or "Every Good Bear Deserves Fish"

Here are the notes to your photo..
The " | | " represents each bar ...

F - A - C - C | D - F - Bflat - Bflat | A - C - F - E | E - F |

C - Bflat - A | Bflat - F - E | D | C - Bflat - C |

F - E - F | D - C | F - E | C - F - A |
CLOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Music Guru.
 
Burning Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 4,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSER View Post
What do you mean 'C4' ... there are no chords. Do you mean the each note quality?
The number refers to a particular octave and has nothing to do with chords or chord qualities.

Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
The number refers to a particular octave and has nothing to do with chords or chord qualities.

I misunderstood the C4 as I have been reading jazz charts lately and forgot about the 261Hz of middle C.
CLOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSER View Post
Here are the notes to your photo..
The " | | " represents each bar ...

F - A - C - C | D - F - Bflat - Bflat | A - C - F - E | E - F |
C - Bflat - A | Bflat - F - E | D | C - Bflat - C |
F - E - F | D - C | F - E | C - F - A |
Thanks so much. I will definitely take your advice on board. You've been very helpful


Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
The number refers to a particular octave and has nothing to do with chords or chord qualities.
Ah i see. Of course, that makes sense now.
Am i right in thinking all the octaves pictures above are 5's as the clef represents G4? Please correct me if im wrong. Thanks
binary101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSER View Post
F - A - C - C | D - F - Bflat - Bflat | A - C - F - E | E - F |
C - Bflat - A | Bflat - F - E | D | C - Bflat - C |
F - E - F | D - C | F - E | C - F - A |
Also, the first bar on the 3rd sample, Why is that F-E-F and not F-E-F-E? thanks
binary101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Music Guru.
 
Burning Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 4,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLOSER View Post
I misunderstood the C4 as I have been reading jazz charts lately and forgot about the 261Hz of middle C.
It's okay! It gets confusing... I read a lot of jazz charts for guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary101 View Post
Ah i see. Of course, that makes sense now.
Am i right in thinking all the octaves pictures above are 5's as the clef represents G4? Please correct me if im wrong. Thanks
That music is all in the range between C4 and C6, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary101 View Post
Also, the first bar on the 3rd sample, Why is that F-E-F and not F-E-F-E? thanks
I think she just forgot the last E.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 113
Default

Yep just forgot to write it.
CLOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.