|06-29-2008, 07:22 PM||#1 (permalink)|
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: End of the Earth
The Definitve List: Most Overrated Bands\Artists ever
Okay; so of course the title is a joke, there is no such thing as a definitive list on any subjective opinion based topic, still this is at the least the most music-banter influenced and among the most well researched compilations on the topic. In addition to scanning the 170 page MB thread and reviewing the results of a Google search, I asked, via email, the 10 people I know whose musical opinions I value most to send me their personal Top Tens.
With this thread I will first unveil the list and expose it to scrutiny from the merciless and knowledgeable collective conscious of the site to see how much or how little it resonates with y'all.
Following this i will periodically make an individual case against all the these artists based on their commercial success and the type of esteem and regard they are held in by today's music critics and creators. I will essentially try to tell you why they suck, well as least more then they are considered to.
This list will not include Led Zeppelin or The Beatles the two, in my opinion, greatest acts ever, despite the fact that they are both often considered highly overrated by their detractors. However I dismiss them as candidates based on the fact that I feel you can't be overrated if your the greatest ever and as I mentioned I believe they are the only two you can make a case for to wear that crown.
It also will not include bands like Neutral Milk Hotel, Joy Division or Sonic Youth to cite a few common ones here. Even though their most ardent fans could be accused of overrating them just as ZepHeads or Beatlemaniacs could, on the whole they are largely overlooked by the average music fan and thus can't be overrated to the extent nessacary to make this end all\be all list.
This list is a top 20, if it were one notch longer, it would have included Van Halen and I would have argued that never has a collection of such talented musicians written such lousy music ever before or since. And so it starts instead with number 20, right now, with one of my most personally painful and sure to be controversial selections and just gets better from there, without further adieu...
20. Radiohead - Please mark death threat emails Attn: JayJamJah so as not to frighten my children.
19. The Grateful Dead - "What'd mean it's only good if your high?"
18. Snoop Dogg - He has 1 1/2 decent albums and yet seems to have more disposable income and street cred then Richard Branson.
17. Coldplay - How are they even considered good enough to be overrated?
16. The Doors - Turns out were not all poets are we Jim?
15. The Eagles - Together we can annoy millions, but if we split up we can annoy billions.
14. Garth Brooks - That whole Chris Gaines things made me have to hide my "No Fences" CD. Chris Gaines, really, Chris Gaines?
13. John Lennon(post-Beatles) - Whatever, the music sucked.
12. Eminem - Why do good things happen to bad people
11. Kanye West - I'm sure he's upset he's not the winner.
10. The Rolling Stones - They have no right being included in the same sentence as the Beatles, Zeppelin and the Who, combined they never produced half the crap music the Stones have.
9. Nirvana - Not a PC thing to say, but if Cobain doesn't pull the plug they are remembered like Alice in Chains or Soundgarden at best.
8. 2 PAC - Similar to Nirvana, made legendary by the early demise. Not a great emcee nor does he have the track record of many lesser regarded acts.
7. Kiss - Name one person you know who still likes them.
6. Dave Matthews Band - They might have the worst fans ever.
5. White Stripes - If I can create the riffs your best known for on a Casio, I really don't need to hear how great your discography is.
4. Prince - It's so hard to tell when Prince recorded his music, it doesn't sounded dated at all.
3. Bruce Springsteen - I don't care what you say I've meet anyone who liked The Boss that wasn't borderline retarded or an @$$hole. This guy sucks.
2. U2 - They should be number one, I don't know one person who doesn't loathe them yet they are one of the biggest acts in the world. They top 75% of the online lists, they are constantly mentioned here as over rated. I only keep them at number two because of an incredible argument I heard against my actual title winner,
#1!!!!!!!!! Mariah Carey - Just wait until you see the case against.
Last edited by Son of JayJamJah; 07-02-2008 at 08:14 AM.
|06-29-2008, 07:45 PM||#3 (permalink)|
Join Date: Sep 2007
I disagree with:
Radiohead, are they really overrated or do you just not like them?
2Pac-You niggas made a mistake
you shoulda never put my rhymes with Dre
them Thug niggas have arrived and it's Judgement Day
Hey Homie if ya feel me
Tell them tricks that shot me
that they missed
they ain't killed me
I can make a mutha****er shake
rattle and roll
i'm full of liquor
quick to jab at them ho's
and I can make ya jelous niggas famous
**** around with 2Pac and see how good a niggas aim is
i'm just a rich mutha****er from tha way
If this rappin' bring me money
then i'm rappin' till i'm paid
i'm getten green like i'm supposed to
Nigga, I holla at these ho's
and see how many I can go through
Look to the star
and visualize my debut
niggas know me, playa
I gotta stay true
don't be a dumb mutha****er
because it's crazy after dark
where the true Thug niggas see ya heart
Niggas Can't C Me....
Sure he's not a great MC technically, but he's got an incredible delivery, and all Eyes On Me stands as a landmark of everything Gangsta rap is and was. You could make a case for him being overrated, but really? That much?
|06-29-2008, 09:46 PM||#8 (permalink)|
Join Date: Nov 2004
|06-29-2008, 09:58 PM||#10 (permalink)|