Music Banter - View Single Post - Goshdarn you, Britain
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #73 (permalink)
Salami
Get in ma belly

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
May I ask why you're resurrecting this thread?
I was ordered to in a PM by one of the top geezers around here, since there ought to be some more to discuss on this topic.
Quote:
If it was because of the last point you raised, that's been addressed.
I really don't feel it has. Firstly, you seemed to completely ignore this.
And secondly there's the issue of the ad-hominem you used on me. If you're in the right here, why on earth do you have to resort to such fallacies?

The point was, if you look at this quote from the article:

Quote:
the greater the diversity in a community, the fewer people vote and the less they volunteer, the less they give to charity and work on community projects. In the most diverse communities, neighbors trust one another about half as much as they do in the most homogenous settings.
There is a problem here. Look at the kind of environment in which communities are more diverse. Just because the community in general appears to be more mistrustful of each other than in less diverse communities, where is the evidence that this can be blamed directly on the fact that the community is more diverse?

What we must do is to look at the type of community that is less diverse: they are usually affluent and consist of people with a disposable income. This means, therefore, that crime will be less, because if you are already wealthy you don't need to steal, and are therefore more trustful of each other.

When a community is more diverse, it means there will be people who have recently moved into the country, and these people will not necessarily have much money, since they will very rarely have a job when they arrive. Therefore, they will only be able to afford housing in the cheapest area, which is usually the inner city, where the community in general is poor and the crime rates are higher.

For an example, my nearest city is Manchester, England. To get to the city centre, we have to drive through areas such as Rusholme, Longsight and Fallowfield, which are very ethnically diverse, but also extremely poor. The crime rate is very high, and in the space of two months, three of my friends have been mugged in local parks and there have been two murders.

Now, IS THERE ANY EVIDENCE AT ALL that this high crime rate is caused by diversity? Not at all, because the area was poor to start off with, the people have LESS disposable income and the crime rate is high anyway.

What I have found is that you're forgetting that correlation does NOT necessitate causation, and that you always have to look for outside factors.

Last edited by Salami; 03-03-2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: The original post pretty much only said "piss off"
Salami is offline   Reply With Quote