Music Banter - View Single Post - Am I the only one who doesn't like Nirvana...
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 11:54 PM   #68 (permalink)
Engine
air quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
Like Ghost Jam said, one of the major elements about Nirvana (same as the Beatles) was being there. You do not (and cannot) truly grasp how relevant the band was if you weren't there to experience it. It's not to say they were the only group, or the best group, but they were the one at the top of the pile. Somehow for whatever reason they found a way to resonate with the rest of us.
One more thing...

mr dave has brought up an interesting point - Nirvana was a real phenomenon back in the Nevermind days. Cobain was famously distraught that kids who would have hated him in high school were filling up stadiums to see his band. It was this way for a lot of fans too.

I have a distinct teenage memory of standing in line at a mall record store, waiting to buy 'Crippled Children Suck' by the Meatmen. The line was super long and the store was full of Nirvana posters and ads. I noticed that a lot of jocks (for lack of a better term) were lining up to buy Nevermind. It was just weird.

But it's not like these people were just buying the album because it was a cool thing to do (although most of them had probably become hooked on Smells Like Teen Spirit because MTV played the video 3 times each hour) but they actually liked the music. In fact a lot of kids who bought Nevermind were certainly deriding slouchy ugly kids who had fucked up hair and wore thrift store clothes at school. I was sure that I would soon see Nevermind filling up the used bins but it didn't. Everybody seemed to genuinely like the band.

For a brief time, it really was like some Beatles or Elvis type of shit.