Music Banter - View Single Post - What are your favorite orchestrated pieces?
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2008, 10:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
Akira
Dazed and confuzzled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molecules View Post
Possibly the most helpful post ever. My problem has always been finding the 'best' rendition of a given piece. My dad was a purist. e.g. i'd sooner download the London or Berlin Symphony's version than the same piece by the Toronto Orchestra. Is there any substance in this or am I just unnecessarily limiting my options?
If you take Beethoven's 5th symphony and listen to the first few notes 'Da da da daaaaaa' and listen to ten recordings of it you'll most likely hear ten different versions of it. It is very common to like a piece of music and listen to a new recording of it and not be keen on it. This is where the conductor mostly comes in. He interprets a lot of things such as tempo, flow, volume, and blends different parts of the orchestra as he sees fit.

As for limiting your options? I wouldn't say that exactly but if you hear a piece and it doesnt do much for you, maybe try listening to one or two different versions of it before you make you mind up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
I'd rather my face reek of women's body parts than of comic book ink and dirty NES cartridges.
Akira is offline   Reply With Quote