Music Banter - View Single Post - Evolution and the Public School System
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #46 (permalink)
The Robot Hunter
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
Once you remove Under God, gay marriage, abortion laws, education reform, etc will follow suit and stop being an issue.
Deep down I hope you're joking because IMO it's a ridiculous over-simplification. Why on earth would removing "under God" from the pledge have anything to do with solving those issues. I think you're just as guilty as republicans are for latching on to something simple like removing "under God" and "in God we trust" and making it into a hugely blown out of proportion topic - you're right that's it a symbol of the church not being completely separated from the state - but it's so short-sighted to think that that's going to solve all the problems in government.

Honestly, I hope the government removes those statements because I believe in the strict separation of church and state. Not only because it's good for the state, but it's good for the church too. The non-separation of church and state is what drove the pilgrims here to found this country on that principle and now because it's convenient to the church to impose their views on the government, the church doesn't want the separation. And now look how the church imposing its "morality" on the state has turned people against the church!
The Robot Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote