Music Banter - View Single Post - Church Plans on Burning Qur'an on September 11th
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 11:09 PM   #67 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

I continue to side with Zaqarbal that freedom of speech allows the destruction of books. The right to protest through burning objects you own (even bras!) should continue to be protected, regardless who is offended. Kitten-man, you've got my vote!

Religious freedom means that people can follow their beliefs without preventing others from following their own (or lack thereof), as long as all actions are non-violent. Although many conservative Muslims apparently believe the Quran is the actual word of god, this does not mean that other people have to treat the Quran as if they were conservative Muslims. The same is true for any book about any belief system.

Also, note that there are Muslims who support absolute freedom of speech/expression and encourage other Muslims not to react with violence to a Quran burning:

Quote:
A Muslim scholar writes about how to respond to the burning of the Quran:

"Islamic scholars can emphasize that the Quran clearly teaches that no one can be punished on account of the actions of others (surra 6, verse 164). In other words, it is against the value system of the Quran to punish Americans or Christians because of the acts of a small minority. And the more tolerance Muslims show for values like freedom of expression, the less others will think of burning the Quran."

Tawfik Hamid: A Muslim Response to Quran Burning - WSJ.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
One: You can't judge every situation the same. Burning Mein Kampf and burning the Quran require completely different considerations.
What do you see as the difference between burning Mein Kampf and burning the Quran? Both actions would risk violence by some of the people who revered those books. Both actions should be allowed as freedom of expression.

The U.S. is at its strongest when it does not give in to pressure to violate freedom of religion and freedom of speech. Just like people should be able to build a Mosque near Ground Zero, people should be able to burn the Quran. I feel our country's ability to protect people so they can coexist peacefully while having and expressing very different beliefs is our greatest strength as a society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
Burning a qur'an doesn't seem like a very nice thing to do IMO.
No, many people think it isn't nice. There would certainly be more constructive ways to express the truth that some Muslims resort to violence very quickly...just like some people of all religions (as well as non-religious people) resort to violence.

But I am glad this minister has the right to express his views in a non-violent fashion that does not directly physically harm anyone. I'm glad the U.S. has not made offending people illegal...though if it did, I could have the law on my side in stopping all you animal eaters.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote