Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 07:49 AM   #21 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

The Warrior is only really half an album, the other half are just rewrites of the first half, with only Rip Off having no mirrors

saying that, though, it is highly enjoyable

and to answer jackhammer, you'll dig it if you dig glam-era Bowie
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
The Warrior is only really half an album, the other half are just rewrites of the first half, with only Rip Off having no mirrors

saying that, though, it is highly enjoyable 9

and to answer jackhammer, you'll dig it if you dig glam-era Bowie
It was almost three years ago since Hammer made that paticular post Duce:...Geesh Bro.

Marc Bolan is one of my favorite Glam Artist. But to be all together honest. He doesnt have half the innovative material that David Bowie created through the years. (But even Still) Marc Bolins single 20th Century Boy has been very influential. That paticular song with Bolan playing guitar along with the Video as well, has influenced artist even to this day of modern music itself. The guitar riff Bolan played on 20th Century Boy was (simply) brutal, Heavy, and very innovative for its time in the early 70s. I personally think it actually influenced Hard Rock and Heavy Metal all the way into the 90s Grunge era, Just that one song, 20th Century Boy. I often wonder where Paul Stanley actually got a lot of his stage moves from? (My guess is Marc Bolin). Even Slash said that he was mainly influenced by Bolan Glam. If I was to pick one song and artist that has influenced so much with just one paticular song, It would definetley be T-Rex (Marc Bolin - 20th Century Boy). Marc Bolins style of Glam was much "cooler" as to say. Than David Bowie or Elton John's (more intellect music) for example. Its quite sad that he was just beginning to change and adapt his image and music at the time he was killed in a car crash.

No one other than Marc Boltan has influenced so many different styles, bands, artist, etc. Than Marc Bolan has with just one song and video. As being one the one of the (Coolist) top 3 Gods of Glam Metal.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #23 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

^^better late than never

my fave Marc Bolan song is "Telegram Sam", actually

or "Metal Guru"
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #24 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Default

Marc Bolan <3
rocioclm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
It was almost three years ago since Hammer made that paticular post Duce:...Geesh Bro.

Marc Bolan is one of my favorite Glam Artist. But to be all together honest. He doesnt have half the innovative material that David Bowie created through the years. (But even Still) Marc Bolins single 20th Century Boy has been very influential. That paticular song with Bolan playing guitar along with the Video as well, has influenced artist even to this day of modern music itself. The guitar riff Bolan played on 20th Century Boy was (simply) brutal, Heavy, and very innovative for its time in the early 70s. I personally think it actually influenced Hard Rock and Heavy Metal all the way into the 90s Grunge era, Just that one song, 20th Century Boy. I often wonder where Paul Stanley actually got a lot of his stage moves from? (My guess is Marc Bolin). Even Slash said that he was mainly influenced by Bolan Glam. If I was to pick one song and artist that has influenced so much with just one paticular song, It would definetley be T-Rex (Marc Bolin - 20th Century Boy). Marc Bolins style of Glam was much "cooler" as to say. Than David Bowie or Elton John's (more intellect music) for example. Its quite sad that he was just beginning to change and adapt his image and music at the time he was killed in a car crash.

No one other than Marc Boltan has influenced so many different styles, bands, artist, etc. Than Marc Bolan has with just one song and video. As being one the one of the (Coolist) top 3 Gods of Glam Metal.
I was never a Marc Bolan or T-Rex fan but as a performer I always enjoyed watching him and along with Bowie he was one of the most influential glam artists of the era. The band imo only ever put out one classic album and that is the album being reviewed here Electric Warrior. Taking a comparison band to T-Rex from that era I would've have said Mott the Hoople music wise were superior.

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 01-12-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #26 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Necromancer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,622
Default

I agree, Bolan never did have much on the album end. I dont personally care for anything by him other than 20th Century Boy. Bang A Gong was his most popular single here in the U.S. Always thought that Paul Stanley imitated Marc Bolan in a big way.

Its good to see you back on the boards Soldier.
Necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
I agree, Bolan never did have much on the album end. I dont personally care for anything by him other than 20th Century Boy. Bang A Gong was his most popular single here in the U.S. Always thought that Paul Stanley imitated Marc Bolan in a big way.

Its good to see you back on the boards Soldier.
I always liked Paul Stanley despite not liking Kiss.

Had a good three week holiday to France and Spain. Now back in the UK where its cold.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #28 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I was never a Marc Bolan or T-Rex fan but as a performer I always enjoyed watching him and along with Bowie he was one of the most influential glam artists of the era. The band imo only ever put out one classic album and that is the album being reviewed here Electric Warrior. Taking a comparison band to T-Rex from that era I would've have said Mott the Hoople music wise were superior.
seconded

although i would say i'm quite THE Bolan/T.Rex band - i even like some of the prog-folk stuff he did under the "Tyrannosaurus Rex" banner
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:40 AM   #29 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 12
Default T-Rex extremely underrated

I see where you're coming from when you say that they are played too much on the radio, especially "Bang a gong". Classic "rock N' roll" radio stations are terrible, they literally play the same songs everyday. Not long ago I explored T-Rex further and realized what an amazing band they are. I hear them in some of the Black Keys music, to me Mambo Sun has a similar rhythm and guitar to Everlasting Light but you really can't compare the two. T-Rex reminds me of the Kinks and how underrated they are, growing up I thought the kinks were a one hit wonder with "Lola" because of the over-kill on the radio, until I realized their entire discography is brilliant. Moral of the story is don't listen to the radio.
stuvanberkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #30 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
metalheadmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 127
Default

Great album and review. My personal favourite T Rex album is still The Slider
metalheadmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.