Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
No Ice In My Bourbon
 
SoundgardenRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA, USA, USA!
Posts: 1,443
Default Oasis - Be Here Now

Oasis, you either love them or hate them.(or only like the first few albums) Many people here hate them but never recognize the fact that their first two albums are near perfect. They were on a roll in the mid 90s. 'Definitely Maybe' help reintroduce rock music to a quickly stagnating music scene. One year later they became the biggest band in the world with '(What's The Story) Morning Glory?' This album produced the huge hits 'Wonderwall,' 'Don't Look Back In Anger' and 'Morning Glory.' It also contained the hits 'Some Might Say,' 'Roll With It,' and 'Champagne Supernova.' With the newfound massive popularity, how would they follow up their best selling second album? Well let's find out...

BE HERE NOW
1997

D'You Know What I Mean is the opener. The first things you hear are an airplane takeoff and some birds. How lovely. After a minute or so, the actual song starts. It then goes on for about another 6 minutes. Despite its length, this is actually a great song. Probably the best Oasis opener on any album. (Even better than "F***in' In The Bushes") The song also has a very nice build up and flows nicely into the chorus of "All my people right here, right now, d'you know what I mean, yeah yeah."

After the opener, Oasis shows us just how loud they can get with My Big Mouth. The guitar layering here is just overdone, but it must not have sounded so to a cocaine fueled Noel Gallagher. The main guitar riff is repeated throughout the song. The song is a drop in quality compared to the first track, leading as a bit of a disappointment. It's appeal wears quickly.

Usually, Oasis best song is the third track right? We had "Live Forever" and we had "Wonderwall" and now we have Magic Pie. Just saying it makes you sound kind of silly doesn't it? This accoustic song is an okay song, and would be better if it wasn't 7+ minutes long. I still can't figure out exactly what it is about though. Not a highlight of the album.

After "Magic Pie" we get the big ballad of the album Stand By Me. A really nice poppy love song. One of the best songs Oasis ever put out. Another song with a nice build up and a nice chorus. Definitely one of the standouts. I think it's 6 minute length is a bit much though.

I Hope, I Think, I Know is the next song. Its the feel good, happy go lucky song on the album. It is basically a song about hope and restrained success. This song is just average, but it is one of the few songs on the album with a rather short length.

The Girl In The Dirty Shirt is a song I really like, but I'm not quite sure how to explain it. Either way, it's catchy, fun, and not too long. I believe Noel wrote it about his girlfriend. I believe the song title stems from the fact that his girlfriend wore the same shirt for long periods of time when Oasis was on tour.

After that we get Fade In Out. This is the most dreadfully boring song Oasis has ever produced. It's long, boring, never goes anywhere, and overall is complete garbage. Johnny Depp makes an appearance on slide guitar, but who really cares? This is the exact definition of a song that everybody skips.

After that borefest we get Don't Go Away. It's a lot like "Stand By Me" in that it is another poppy catchy love song. I don't think it is quite as good, but still a great track.

Now we get the title track, Be Here Now. It certainly isn't worthy of the title track though, because it is a below average song. It's another song that never really goes anywhere, (like Fade In Out) but at the same time it holds your interest because its a little bit different than everything else. Noel decided to never name an album after a song after "Be Here Now" though.

Now it is time for the longest song on the album All Around The World. This song had been in the works since before 'Definitely Maybe' I believe. The song builds and builds until it explodes near the end. The main problem with it though is its length. Alot of it could have been trimmed down to make an even better and more radio friendly song. It is still a great song in my eyes though.

Time for the mindless rock song It's Gettin' Better (Man!!). This song is way too long, and was screaming it near the end when Liam shouted over and over about 30 times, "It's Gettin' Better Man!" This would be the worst song on the album if it weren't for "Fade In Out." If you want to know what this song is without listening to the whole 7 minutes of it, just picture Liam yelling "It's gettin better man!" for 7 minutes. Pretty much the same thing, except your mind will probably make it more appealing.

The album finally closes with All Around The World (Reprise), a little instrumental version of "All Around The World." This really was unnecessary though because we already have a near ten minute song with the regular song, why do we need to hear 2 minutes more of it in instrumental form?. One thing I always kind of liked about this song was the door slamming shut at the end, because to me, it represented two things. One, the end of Oasis producing great albums, and two, the end of britpop.

CONCLUSION: When Oasis are good on this album, they're great, when they're bad, they're unlistenable. If you're an Oasis fan, get it. If you're a britpop fan, this is a very important album in the history of britpop, so get it. If you just want an all around brilliant album that never gets old, don't get this. If you want to get into Oasis, get 'Definitely Maybe' or 'Morning Glory' instead.

SCORE
6.2/10
SoundgardenRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Overinflated self indulgent mess.

When I was an Oasis fan I loved it, but it really is a train wreck. 6.2/10 seems fair enough. Some of the songs on this album are actually pretty decent, they just needed to be trimmed down and mixed better.
__________________
I don't feel and I feel great.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
No Ice In My Bourbon
 
SoundgardenRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA, USA, USA!
Posts: 1,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
Overinflated self indulgent mess.

When I was an Oasis fan I loved it, but it really is a train wreck. 6.2/10 seems fair enough. Some of the songs on this album are actually pretty decent, they just needed to be trimmed down and mixed better.
My thoughts exactly.
SoundgardenRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
My thoughts exactly.
Stand By Me FTW. One of my all time favourite Oasis songs. Good call on that one.

I wish I liked them like I used to
__________________
I don't feel and I feel great.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
this is a very important album in the history of britpop
Yes

It killed it
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
No Ice In My Bourbon
 
SoundgardenRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA, USA, USA!
Posts: 1,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
Stand By Me FTW. One of my all time favourite Oasis songs. Good call on that one.

I wish I liked them like I used to
Well, for the most part, everything they put out after 2000 was mediocre, so I can't blame you for not loving them anymore. I actually have a soft spot for 'Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants.' It has some of my favorite Oasis songs like "Go Let It Out," "Sunday Morning Call," and "Gas Panic." Songs like "Little James" and "Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is" keep the album from greatness.

How old were you when you were big into the band?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
Yes

It killed it
I already said that when I talked about the last song on the album.

EDIT: I didn't say it like that exactly, but that is what I meant.
SoundgardenRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundgardenRocks View Post
Well, for the most part, everything they put out after 2000 was mediocre, so I can't blame you for not loving them anymore. I actually have a soft spot for 'Standing On The Shoulder Of Giants.' It has some of my favorite Oasis songs like "Go Let It Out," "Sunday Morning Call," and "Gas Panic." Songs like "Little James" and "Put Yer Money Where Yer Mouth Is" keep the album from greatness.

How old were you when you were big into the band?
I was 13 or 14 the first time I heard WTSMG an Definitely Maybe, and it's not that their other stuff was mediocre, that's not what turned me off them. I was their biggest fan boy, I thought everything Noel had written was genius. Except for Standing on the Shoulders, despite my musical immaturity I could tell that was shit. I just grew up and found more entertaining music, and I listened to their first 2 albums and they were just boring lad rock. I guess they're decent records, despite them being so simple. But I don't think I'll ever get the urge to listen to them any time soon.
__________________
I don't feel and I feel great.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
No Ice In My Bourbon
 
SoundgardenRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA, USA, USA!
Posts: 1,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
I was 13 or 14 the first time I heard WTSMG an Definitely Maybe, and it's not that their other stuff was mediocre, that's not what turned me off them. I was their biggest fan boy, I thought everything Noel had written was genius. Except for Standing on the Shoulders, despite my musical immaturity I could tell that was shit. I just grew up and found more entertaining music, and I listened to their first 2 albums and they were just boring lad rock. I guess they're decent records, despite them being so simple. But I don't think I'll ever get the urge to listen to them any time soon.
You don't like anything on 'Standing?'

Personally, I think their worst album was 'Dig Out Your Soul.' I can't stand that album or 'Heathen Chemistry' for that matter.

I have to disagree when you say Oasis first 2 albums are boring. Some stuff on WTSMG? is a little bit, but overall, the album is great. 'Definitely Maybe' is one of the greatest albums of the 90s.
SoundgardenRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Not really, I guess Go Let It Out is decent. Oasis are just a boring band for me these days. I always used to prefer them to Blur, but now I care for Blur a hell of a lot more.

Dig Out Your Soul is their second worst, behind Standing.

Well, it's basically 12 songs with 3 chords. All fine and well, but after you've heard them so much they just become boring. Both albums would probably make my top 100 list just because of how important they are to me, they shaped the music I listen to. But they'd be really low down on the list.
__________________
I don't feel and I feel great.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
No Ice In My Bourbon
 
SoundgardenRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA, USA, USA!
Posts: 1,443
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
Not really, I guess Go Let It Out is decent. Oasis are just a boring band for me these days. I always used to prefer them to Blur, but now I care for Blur a hell of a lot more.

Dig Out Your Soul is their second worst, behind Standing.

Well, it's basically 12 songs with 3 chords. All fine and well, but after you've heard them so much they just become boring. Both albums would probably make my top 100 list just because of how important they are to me, they shaped the music I listen to. But they'd be really low down on the list.
What is your opinion on 'The Masterplan'?
SoundgardenRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.