Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
washed up
 
YorkeDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 3,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
1. Wish You Were Here

2. Dark Side Of The Moon

3. The Wall

4. Animals

5. Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

I think your top 10 is nice, but it's hard to not make a respectable top ten for Pink Floyd.

However, it seems like you tried to not have The Wall or DSOTM high on the list to avoid being predictable. Those two albums were exceptional, like everything Floyd recorded essentially from "Piper" on through The Wall.

Point being, it's hard to come up with any satisfying top ten.
Okay, DSOTM is indeed exceptional, but The Wall is just mediocre. I mean seriously. Like, three good songs out of 20+?
YorkeDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Key
hi
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,301
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
Okay, DSOTM is indeed exceptional, but The Wall is just mediocre. I mean seriously. Like, three good songs out of 20+?
Gonna have to disagree. The Wall is a fantastic concept album which I find more and more interesting each time I listen to it. I've seen a lot of people here mention The Wall as one of the worse Pink Floyd albums, which I never could really understand.

However, Forward to Death puts Animals below The Wall, which is a bit ludicrous.
__________________

CWH
Key is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,037
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
Gonna have to disagree. The Wall is a fantastic concept album which I find more and more interesting each time I listen to it. I've seen a lot of people here mention The Wall as one of the worse Pink Floyd albums, which I never could really understand.
Same here. It was one of favorite albums when I was younger. I've always been surprised by how much people on here knock it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Mooneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wales
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
1. Wish You Were Here

2. Dark Side Of The Moon

3. The Wall

4. Animals

5. Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

I think your top 10 is nice, but it's hard to not make a respectable top ten for Pink Floyd.

However, it seems like you tried to not have The Wall or DSOTM high on the list to avoid being predictable. Those two albums were exceptional, like everything Floyd recorded essentially from "Piper" on through The Wall.

Point being, it's hard to come up with any satisfying top ten.
Don't get me wrong, I love those both. But It's something I couldn't connect with, Piper and Ummagumma were the first albums I listened by them and it was nothing I had ever heard before. I'm not the biggest fan of Progressive Rock, but the three songs on the Wall I freakin' love. I don't know why but I just couldn't fall in love with DSOTM. Time & Money, two great songs. But that's it, maybe Breathe but... I can't say I love the other songs. And, not every Floyd fan has The Wall and DSOTM as their top 2.

Last edited by Mooneh; 08-11-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Mooneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Trolier Than Thou
 
Forward To Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
Gonna have to disagree. The Wall is a fantastic concept album which I find more and more interesting each time I listen to it. I've seen a lot of people here mention The Wall as one of the worse Pink Floyd albums, which I never could really understand.

However, Forward to Death puts Animals below The Wall, which is a bit ludicrous.
I think the only think "ludicrous" is your dismissal that The Wall could be better than Animals. Animals isn't produced as well, and doesn't flow the same way for two discs like The Wall does. That said, on any given day I could say Animals is the best Pink Floyd album, because it's very difficult to choose between any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooneh View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love those both. But It's something I couldn't connect with, Piper and Ummagumma were the first albums I listened by them and it was nothing I had ever heard before. I'm not the biggest fan of Progressive Rock, but the three songs on the Wall I freakin' love. I don't know why but I just couldn't fall in love with DSOTM. Time & Money, two great songs. But that's it, maybe Breathe but... I can't say I love the other songs. And, not every Floyd fan has The Wall and DSOTM as their top 2.
No, I know DSOTM and The Wall aren't set in stone as one and two. I just think they're the two most complete albums. Piper is definitely a good choice for #1, so is almost everything else that has Waters on it.
Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #16 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Mooneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wales
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
No, I know DSOTM and The Wall aren't set in stone as one and two. I just think they're the two most complete albums. Piper is definitely a good choice for #1, so is almost everything else that has Waters on it.
I actually apologize if I sounded douchey on that last bit, I agree they seem like more "set" albums. I only really like the few songs on there, I'm more of a Psychedelic type of guy.
Mooneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:54 AM   #17 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

there can only be one - Animals
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
Music Mutant
 
Holerbot6000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: near a record store
Posts: 328
Default

MEDDLE - 'Echoes' is one of the all time great trip-out records. Many's the time I had a headful of LSD and someone would put that album on and...well never mind. GREAT album though. Even sounds good sober...
Holerbot6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
Trolier Than Thou
 
Forward To Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooneh View Post
I actually apologize if I sounded douchey on that last bit, I agree they seem like more "set" albums. I only really like the few songs on there, I'm more of a Psychedelic type of guy.
Everything Pink Floyd did was psychedelic. Haha, if anything they got trippier after Piper.
Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
I think the only think "ludicrous" is your dismissal that The Wall could be better than Animals. Animals isn't produced as well, and doesn't flow the same way for two discs like The Wall does. That said, on any given day I could say Animals is the best Pink Floyd album, because it's very difficult to choose between any of them.
The thing about The Wall that gets me is that it's too deep of an exploration into the dark side of Roger Water's psyche. Sure, it's definitely a brilliant conceptual masterpiece; it always will be, but listening to it is, well, a bit morose and depressing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.