Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #61 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Mooneh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Wales
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Overlooked!!! Most people on here go on like its the best album ever from the 1960s and most review sites go on about how great it is as well. It's one of the most overrated albums in the history of rock.

Syd Barrett a great guitarist, well I suppose if you consider noodling great then he was.
You have to be kidding me.... Piper is not an over rated album, it's probably up there with Meddle has the most popular non-commercially successful albums but still even songs like, "Flaming", "Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk", and "Pow R. Toc H", are overlooked tracks.
Mooneh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:51 AM   #62 (permalink)
The Aerosol in your Soul
 
Rjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 1,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Overlooked!!! Most people on here go on like its the best album ever from the 1960s and most review sites go on about how great it is as well. It's one of the most overrated albums in the history of rock.

Syd Barrett a great guitarist, well I suppose if you consider noodling great then he was.
I wasn't really talking about here. Compared to The Wall, DSotM, Wish You Were Here, and later discographies I do think so, for many reasons. Including the success and attention to their concept work which eventually became a landmark of the band. They achieved the most commercial success at that point. Gilmour and Waters overshadowed Syd. Gilmour the most critically acclaimed guitarist compared to him.
__________________
last.fm

Last edited by Rjinn; 09-30-2012 at 01:09 AM.
Rjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #63 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
Default

Haha, its funny that this is a top 10 pink floyd albums thread when I'm not sure how many more than 10 pink floyd made.

favorite is definitely wish you were here!
mikelanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:36 AM   #64 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooneh View Post
You have to be kidding me.... Piper is not an over rated album, it's probably up there with Meddle has the most popular non-commercially successful albums but still even songs like, "Flaming", "Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk", and "Pow R. Toc H", are overlooked tracks.
It's on Rolling Stone's "Greatest 500 Albums Ever" list, it's on Mojo's "50 Most Out There Albums" list, it's on Q's "Greatest 100 British Albums" list. It charted at no.6 in the UK album chart and constantly gets hyped as one of the very best British psychedelic albums ever recorded. Does that sound like an overlooked album to you?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #65 (permalink)
The Aerosol in your Soul
 
Rjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 1,513
Default

Well now you put it that way it's not, but my statement still stands.
__________________
last.fm
Rjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #66 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjinnx View Post
Well now you put it that way it's not, but my statement still stands.
Piper always gets mentioned in the same breath as The Wall, DSOTM and Wish You Were Here on anything that I've read about the band and on here it' s held in the same esteem as those albums, so I can hardly see it as being an "overlooked gem" Even the OP thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course Gilmour is going to be held in higher esteem, he's played on nearly all of the band's albums, whilst Syd only managed to play on one and a bit albums, before he was trollied off to the funny farm.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #67 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Piper always gets mentioned in the same breath as The Wall, DSOTM and Wish You Were Here on anything that I've read about the band and on here it' s held in the same esteem as those albums, so I can hardly see it as being an "overlooked gem" Even the OP thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course Gilmour is going to be held in higher esteem, he's played on nearly all of the band's albums, whilst Syd only managed to play on one and a bit albums, before he was trollied off to the funny farm.
he never went to the funny farm

he was mostly at home lost in his own universe, occasionally going out to collect royalties to feed myself and baffle people by his behaviour until the day he died
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #68 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
he was mostly at home lost in his own universe
Sounds like he was playing too much Skyrim.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #69 (permalink)
The Aerosol in your Soul
 
Rjinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New South Wales, Australia
Posts: 1,513
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Piper always gets mentioned in the same breath as The Wall, DSOTM and Wish You Were Here on anything that I've read about the band and on here it' s held in the same esteem as those albums, so I can hardly see it as being an "overlooked gem" Even the OP thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Of course Gilmour is going to be held in higher esteem, he's played on nearly all of the band's albums, whilst Syd only managed to play on one and a bit albums, before he was trollied off to the funny farm.
Here apparently it's not, but if I am going to go by what I've seen... Other forums I used to visit with music sections mostly held their concept albums as the pinnacle of their career. There were mentions of Piper here and there but not often. I admit I haven't come by any reviews of the album, so I can't comment there. Only a few articles I've read about Pink Floyd, that's about it.

Presently here in big parts of social society being involved with, including the bar/pub scene which is pretty big, they off course have albums or tracks from DSotM, The Wall, or WYWH, not their earlier work. From what I gather Pink Floyd are mostly known for their conceptuality rather than their psychedelic artistry which is the most prominent in Piper. I'm pretty sure a lot of people today get to Piper after being introduced to these dominating albums... or anything earlier for that matter.

I guess obviously the albums I'm comparing it to are the most commercially successful albums. People tend to stick to them. That was my angle.
__________________
last.fm
Rjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #70 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Rock N' Roll Clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 169
Default

In the documentary "Inside Pink Floyd" they said themselves that their early albums are very stupid and boring and they even wondered how they had managed to sell them.
Rock N' Roll Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.