Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #81 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyaga View Post
Also, I dont consider pink floyd progressive rock at all.
Why not?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #82 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Meddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 27
Default

Maybe he or she is insane.
__________________
"Each year that passes rings you inwardly with memory and might. Wield your heart, and the world will tremble."

lastfm
Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #83 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
crazyaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 84
Default

Because they are simply not that progressive!
They have so many simple, emotional songs.... never realized why people consider them prog-rock.
__________________
I love beautiful things :3
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...nn-d31ntv3.jpg
crazyaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #84 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Rock N' Roll Clown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
I've always had mixed emotions about The Wall which I've tried to convey many times. On one hand it's an absolute work of genius. On the other hand, it's beyond catharsis. There's no veil between artistic license and personal history. Listening to the album from start to finish can sometimes be like being paid by the hour to listen to Roger Waters tell you about how he got to be the ****ed up individual he currently is (I'm not implying anything about Roger Waters current mental health. For all I know he could be the most perfectly well adjusted human being on the face of planet Earth)

The Final Cut really conveys a lot of the same emotion that The Wall does without being quite so starkly candid. I definitely agree that it does seem like the third disc of The Wall and it may receive the criticism that it does because from a certain perspective it's just an epilogue to The Wall and a prelude to Roger Waters leaving the band and the ensuing legal nonsense. I think if their was another album between it and The Wall it would be seen as just a great Waters-centric Pink Floyd album, which it really is.
Does it mean that you like the two Gilmour albums (Momentary Lapse of Reason and Division Bell) more than the two Waters albums (The Wall and the Final Cut). If so, we are on the same page. I do appreciate Waters' work and his sometimes truly genius lyrics, but it can really overload your brain with his personal problems, just like you said. On the other hand, Gilmour's stuff isn't bad lyrically at all, and musically is better, especially than The Final Cut (The Wall has some of their best songs musically, though).
__________________
Rock N' Roll Clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #85 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyaga View Post
Because they are simply not that progressive!
They have so many simple, emotional songs.... never realized why people consider them prog-rock.
I don't see how someone could listen to a song like "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" or "Sheep" and not think it's prog.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #86 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Meddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 27
Default

Looks like I need some Division Bell in my life!
__________________
"Each year that passes rings you inwardly with memory and might. Wield your heart, and the world will tremble."

lastfm
Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #87 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyaga View Post
Because they are simply not that progressive!
They have so many simple, emotional songs.... never realized why people consider them prog-rock.
Prog bands are not immune to doing emotional and simple songs either.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:15 AM   #88 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
crazyaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Prog bands are not immune to doing emotional and simple songs either.
why Pink Floyd are progressive and Radiohead not? Kid A is a ****ing complex album
__________________
I love beautiful things :3
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...nn-d31ntv3.jpg
crazyaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #89 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyaga View Post
why Pink Floyd are progressive and Radiohead not? Kid A is a ****ing complex album
Good question but Radiohead are most definitely prog in my mind and so are Pink Floyd for that matter.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #90 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
crazyaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Good question but Radiohead are most definitely prog in my mind and so are Pink Floyd for that matter.
Im my mind, both of them are not prog, but alt rock. (Radiohead is alt rock+ electronica)
__________________
I love beautiful things :3
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...nn-d31ntv3.jpg
crazyaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.