Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #51 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
Metallica is a joke running for almost 25 years now.
hard to argue about that
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 AM   #52 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 13
Default

Always a good band.
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #53 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
We're talking about quality, not quantity of fans or record sales.

The Black Album isn't the worst they've done, because when I think of ReLoad and St. Anger, I think of a band that is on par with Limp Bizkit/Disturbed/Linkin Park (maybe that's why rubber ducky likes them so much).

Metallica is a joke running for almost 25 years now.
I don't like the Black Album, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the quality at all.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #54 (permalink)
Trolier Than Thou
 
Forward To Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I don't like the Black Album, but I don't think there is anything wrong with the quality at all.
It is less skillful in terms of almost everything. Technicality, speed of rhythm and solos, vocals, lyrics.. What else do you need?

Actually, the vocals getting "better" are the problem with it, so maybe that's the one improvement, but it actually ended up being the worst part!
Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #55 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Wuzzly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Groove View Post
Alright Mr. 31 posts, relax. I happen to love this record
are you seriously judging my post based on the numbers of posts I've made.
wow
Wuzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #56 (permalink)
President spic
 
Justthefacts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waxahatchee
Posts: 4,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuzzly View Post
are you seriously judging my post based on the numbers of posts I've made.
wow
I was angry last night, Sorry man. Welcome to the site, it's really an awesome site.

Sorry again, honestly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I love how you edited your post to officially out me out of the closet?" It's like you asked yourself if you were a big enough cunt in the post, concluded that you weren't, and added it in to satisfy your postly cunt quota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I converted to Islam today.

Allah Supreme.
A Love Supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
saw LeBron James downtown but then I realized I'm just racist
The Best Collection You'll See Today
Justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #57 (permalink)
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 3,653
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Groove View Post
I was angry last night, Sorry man. Welcome to the site, it's really an awesome site.

Sorry again, honestly.
Honestly I haven't even heard the record. I stopped buying Metallica after purchasing the Black album. I picked it up the day it went on sale and was amazed how much their sound had changed. I'm not gonna nitpick it, because they obviously found a formula that works for sales. I think alot of the change was due to them aging. You can't play break neck speed your entire career, it happens to the best of us. Metallica typically plays 3 hour sets live and they need to throw in some slower more ballad type songs, to stay in shape for their large scale tours i'm assuming.
FRED HALE SR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #58 (permalink)
President spic
 
Justthefacts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waxahatchee
Posts: 4,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED HALE SR. View Post
Honestly I haven't even heard the record. I stopped buying Metallica after purchasing the Black album. I picked it up the day it went on sale and was amazed how much their sound had changed. I'm not gonna nitpick it, because they obviously found a formula that works for sales. I think alot of the change was due to them aging. You can't play break neck speed your entire career, it happens to the best of us. Metallica typically plays 3 hour sets live and they need to throw in some slower more ballad type songs, to stay in shape for their large scale tours i'm assuming.
I'll be honest, this is the album that really got me into Metallica. I was always really biased about Metallica for some reason but one day my dad popped it in and I couldn't help but head bang for over an hour.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I love how you edited your post to officially out me out of the closet?" It's like you asked yourself if you were a big enough cunt in the post, concluded that you weren't, and added it in to satisfy your postly cunt quota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I converted to Islam today.

Allah Supreme.
A Love Supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
saw LeBron James downtown but then I realized I'm just racist
The Best Collection You'll See Today
Justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #59 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward To Death View Post
It is less skillful in terms of almost everything. Technicality, speed of rhythm and solos, vocals, lyrics.. What else do you need?
That explains why you've missed the point of the album completely. It wasn't about any of those things that you've put above. It was about making an accessible metal album with melody for mass public appeal, with tunes that Joe Public could relate to. The heaviness was still there satisfy their fanbase and melody to attract a legion of new fans. to So an album based around technicality, speed and blistering solos etc was out the window as far as the band were concerned. For that reason they got Bob Rock in to produce the album as well. If a band wants to achieve mass market appeal then huge compromises of their base sound usually have to be made.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #60 (permalink)
Trolier Than Thou
 
Forward To Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,328
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
That explains why you've missed the point of the album completely. It wasn't about any of those things that you've put above. It was about making an accessible metal album with melody for mass public appeal, with tunes that Joe Public could relate to. The heaviness was still there satisfy their fanbase and melody to attract a legion of new fans. to So an album based around technicality, speed and blistering solos etc was out the window as far as the band were concerned. For that reason they got Bob Rock in to produce the album as well. If a band wants to achieve mass market appeal then huge compromises of their base sound usually have to be made.
The album's goal has nothing to do with the quality of the album itself.

It's not a matter of objectivity (because neither one of us is objective), I like plenty of melodic, poppy metal albums. In comparison, The Black Album sucks. When I compare it to melodic rock/metal it sucks, when I compare it to other Metallica it sucks, and when I compare it to heavy metal in general it sucks.

That's how I determine quality.
Forward To Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.