Linkin Park - Meteora (2003): A Key Review - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2023, 04:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Key
.
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,153
Default Linkin Park - Meteora (2003): A Key Review

Linkin Park - Meteora (2003): A Key Review

I love Meteora, and I still love Linkin Park to an extent. And while I will admit I have not given their more recent albums much of my time, I have many many fond memories of growing up listening to both Hybrid Theory and Meteora. And although I have probably talked about this album before on this forum, I felt like it'd be worthwhile to go back and relisten to it again (and again, and again) on the day that the 20th anniversary edition came out. And so I did, and man, every time I listen to this album, I am just reminded of both how much I love this album and how good the album actually is. Keeping in mind that a little bit of nostalgia could be having an effect, as this is certainly not the first time I've listened to this album. Hell, there's a chance that it's one of my most listened to albums out of all the albums I have listened to throughout my life. And a lot of that is due to the fact that I basically grew up listening to Linkin Park and this album respectively. So the amount of time I have actually listened to this album is pretty much unknown, but I have certainly listened to it a lot. It is also crazy to think that I'm 32 now, and this album came out 20 years ago. And I do know that over time, people have kind of forgotten about Linkin Park or they just weren't very big fans in the first place, but for those people that still enjoy listening to them today, you'll know what I mean when I say that I definitely prefer Meteora over Hybrid Theory, but by just a little bit. I just feel like Meteora as far as structure in their songs along with the amount of good songs the album has on it, it beats Hybrid Theory. However, both albums have great tracks respectively. I just feel and have always felt that Meteora is superior and has way more tracks that I will listen to time and time again. Meteora is also one of those albums where I feel like none of the tracks are needing to be skipped when listening through it. Each song just sort of transitions comfortably from one to the next allowing for a pretty easy time listening through it. That was certainly the case back when I first heard it, and it's certainly still the case now.

I've been known to not be a huge fan of the post Meteora era of Linkin Park because I'm just simply not a big fan of the mixture of genres they went for. It's not bad in any way, just not my thing. I think Minutes to Midnight was the last time I really truly enjoyed a Linkin Park album thoroughly. Everything else just sort of sits there waiting for me to give an opinion on it. Which I don't see happening too soon.

If you were to ask me this same question on different days, the answer would probably be different. However, the question being "which song sticks out from all the rest?" and honestly, they all have their special moments. I personally think the last couple tracks on Meteora are some of the best on the entire album, tracks like Breaking The Habit, From The Inside, Session, and Numb. I have always felt that these 4 songs in particular really compliment each other and allows for a really nice climax to an already superb album. Again, not to say the other tracks are bad or less quality. Hell, like I said, my answer could easily change tomorrow if you asked me what my favorite tracks are or what the standout tracks are.

Though to be honest, the Breaking the Habit music video is still one of the best:



I also don't normally splurge on deluxe editions of albums that I like, but when I heard that Meteora is getting a special deluxe set of versions of their album for the 20th anniversary, I simply had to have it. It's a really good representation of both the fantastic album that Meteora is as well as being a really nice addition to my collection.

Probably will always be my favorite Linkin Park album but will also be an album I hold in my top 10 for at least another 20-30 years. Meteora is just one of those albums that we may never get the likes of again. At least in this respect.

R.I.P Chester

Last edited by Key; 04-07-2023 at 04:34 PM.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Epiphany is upon us
 
Mindfulness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 10,010
Default

Nice review Key!
I have been jamming to this album and their Living Things album all year so far in my car. This 20-year release has me jamming to the new/old songs they thought that shouldn't have been on the album. This album brings me back to little league baseball for me. Linkin Park was the first band I liked growing up. So I downloaded all the songs on limewire or kazaa and back when AOL was a thing. Just middle school days for me, going into high school they were still one of my favorite bands.


Thats cool you're buying the box set, it has a bunch of stuff in there from the unboxing videos I watched.

Mindfulness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 04:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Key
.
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,153
Default

I listened to the main album this morning and will be diving into the extra 20th anniversary stuff later on. Yeah the box set looked dope and I don't know when I'll get a chance to get something that relates to Meteora as much as this does so I figured i'll just splurge a little bit and get it for my collection. It's got a lot of cool stuff in it.

I think Linkin Park was one of the first bands I ended up really liking back in the day as well. I remember going to a school camping trip and on the way there, I listened to both Meteora and Collision Course back to back nonstop. That and they were the only two CD's I brought with me. I don't know which song sparked my interest in them but all I know is that it has been a fun ride since then.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
And I do know that over time, people have kind of forgotten about Linkin Park or they just weren't very big fans in the first place, but for those people that still enjoy listening to them today, you'll know what I mean when I say that I definitely prefer Meteora over Hybrid Theory, but by just a little bit.
I just said the same thing recently in a different thread and I agree.

It's funny because I was in my A-School(technical school in the military) when Hybrid Theory came out. Everyone had a copy of it in my barracks. So it was getting played in heavy rotation all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
I also don't normally splurge on deluxe editions of albums that I like, but when I heard that Meteora is getting a special deluxe set of versions of their album for the 20th anniversary, I simply had to have it. It's a really good representation of both the fantastic album that Meteora is as well as being a really nice addition to my collection.
That's dope I want to get that collection but I'll probably end up having to get it another time or maybe a little more pricier from re-sellers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post

Probably will always be my favorite Linkin Park album but will also be an album I hold in my top 10 for at least another 20-30 years. Meteora is just one of those albums that we may never get the likes of again. At least in this respect.

R.I.P Chester
Agreed and I had concert tickets to see them in 2017 when Chester passed they canceled the rest of the tour obviously but I was so close to seeing my favorite first band live. I loved the fact that they were rock with the rap elements. I used to use them as a bridge between introducing my friends that only listen to rock to give them a chance and my friends that only listen to rap to give them a shot. To show that yeah there are bands out there that don't fit into the mold and stereotype that you can and that you can end up exploring a genre that you had misconceptions about.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Key View Post
I listened to the main album this morning and will be diving into the extra 20th anniversary stuff later on. Yeah the box set looked dope and I don't know when I'll get a chance to get something that relates to Meteora as much as this does so I figured i'll just splurge a little bit and get it for my collection. It's got a lot of cool stuff in it.

I think Linkin Park was one of the first bands I ended up really liking back in the day as well. I remember going to a school camping trip and on the way there, I listened to both Meteora and Collision Course back to back nonstop. That and they were the only two CD's I brought with me. I don't know which song sparked my interest in them but all I know is that it has been a fun ride since then.
I went straight to the 20th anniversary album and have been listening to it all day. Such a wicked trip down memory lane. My favorite song will always be Faint. I even used to use it as a signature when I played The Sims Online. We had this system in place where I ran a "mafia" group and I would send my hitman to destroy people's houses. I told him to leave LP7 in the tile work after he destroyed it. It was track 7 from Meteora and I feel like only my hitman and myself knew what the LP7 meant but it was my mark lol.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 09:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,216
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
Nice review Key!
I have been jamming to this album and their Living Things album all year so far in my car. This 20-year release has me jamming to the new/old songs they thought that shouldn't have been on the album. This album brings me back to little league baseball for me. Linkin Park was the first band I liked growing up. So I downloaded all the songs on limewire or kazaa and back when AOL was a thing. Just middle school days for me, going into high school they were still one of my favorite bands.


Thats cool you're buying the box set, it has a bunch of stuff in there from the unboxing videos I watched.

Who was still using AOL in the 2000s?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Who was still using AOL in the 2000s?
I was because I got internet late couldn't afford it when it first dropped. Didn't have silver spoon in hand.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,216
Default

So are Linkin Park fans still on AOL like old people?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Key
.
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,153
Default

*dial up sounds in the background*
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:56 AM   #9 (permalink)
Epiphany is upon us
 
Mindfulness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 10,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Who was still using AOL in the 2000s?
Mindfulness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2023, 11:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
So are Linkin Park fans still on AOL like old people?
Yes they are and they also use Skype and Myspace still.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.