Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Announcements, Suggestions, & Feedback
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
Unrepentant Ass-Mod
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,920
Default

I stopped doing that a few months ago because I realized it ruins the natural course of debate and rebuttal and replaces it with an organized attempt to "win an argument." Ethan, boobs and a few others still do it and it pisses the fuck off me too.
__________________
first.am
lucifer_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Would a 15 word requisite really translate to a novel?
No, but if what someone has to say doesn't require fifteen words what's the benefit of forcing them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
While we're on the topic, I absolutly loathe when people quote something someone said and break it up into little sections, commenting on each.

I can't put my finger on it but it rips me apart.
I think that's a product of the conversational nature of message board discussion. It's more conversational to reply point by point than it is to write the equivalent of a letter-to-the-editor response.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Ha, your discrete jab has not escaped me, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't clever.

The problem with it is, you either follow suit or you "dodge points made" which is BS. I'm not calling for it to be removed or anything, I'm just saying I hate it.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #24 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Ha, your discrete jab has not escaped me, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't clever.
To tell the truth it actually wasn't intentional, that's just how I post. But I did notice when I hit "preview" and I thought, "heh, that's kind of funny".

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
The problem with it is, you either follow suit or you "dodge points made" which is BS.
How so? Can't you do either of those things no matter how you choose to format your post?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

On paper or in reality?

You can, but for ridiculous forum brawls its not possible.

You know those fights where the guy making some grand stupid point thats being attacked from all sides keeps changing the point, usually ending on grammar. Those guys, thats what sits in me.

So again, I'm not taking a stand against that, its just a peeve.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:50 PM   #26 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer_sam View Post
I stopped doing that a few months ago because I realized it ruins the natural course of debate and rebuttal and replaces it with an organized attempt to "win an argument." Ethan, boobs and a few others still do it and it pisses the fuck off me too.
I missed this earlier. You know, you're alright sammy. At least in this thread. I agree with this statement and would like to add onto it that when we have an argument for every little point, you're not really arguing positions, you're end up arguing points, but never state your own.

What we tend to end up with is a neutral position, I've said something, you've tried to undo it...so where do we go from here.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
On paper or in reality?

You can, but for ridiculous forum brawls its not possible.

You know those fights where the guy making some grand stupid point thats being attacked from all sides keeps changing the point, usually ending on grammar. Those guys, thats what sits in me.

So again, I'm not taking a stand against that, its just a peeve.
I have to confess I'm not really sure what you're talking about here. What does someone changing the point have to do with the posting point-by-point vs posting in one big chunk issue?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Inherently nothing. Historically its the method they use to "never lose."

They usually end up banned.

Edit: If you're looking for a televised version of these posters, Youtube Chris Matthews debating Kevin James. I've never seen an almost picture-perfect enactment of a message board fight.

Its brilliant.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #29 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
I missed this earlier. You know, you're alright sammy. At least in this thread. I agree with this statement and would like to add onto it that when we have an argument for every little point, you're not really arguing positions, you're end up arguing points, but never state your own.

What we tend to end up with is a neutral position, I've said something, you've tried to undo it...so where do we go from here.
I'll say this, it does get annoying when someone breaks it down into a thousand little points. But I think it makes sense to break the post up into a couple different blocks when you're really talking about a couple different subjects in one post. That's why I split your "Would a 15 word requisite..." post into two parts, for example.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
Atchin' Akai
 
right-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Unamerica
Posts: 8,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
Inherently nothing. Historically its the method they use to "never lose."

They usually end up banned.
This is true. ^
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.