Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Announcements, Suggestions, & Feedback
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Read the First Post! How would you feel if a new "MB" site was started?
Brilliant idea - Would be eager to join the new site 11 30.56%
Positive - Like the idea and would sign up, but reluctant to leave MB 11 30.56%
No opinion / Don't Care / Undecided 4 11.11%
Negative - Reluctant to change activity to new site, but would if the majority does 6 16.67%
Horrible idea - People who leave the old site are traitors. I'd never abandon MB! 4 11.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 06:53 AM   #11 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

At first, I was pretty much against the idea because traffic to the alternative site wouldn't be as frequent as it is with MB.

After reading more about it and thinking to myself. I would definitely join up with the new site.

I don't think I would leave MB completely though and part of that is because of familiarity I believe.

Plus, why would it be so hard to post on two forums? I'm sure there are members that attend more forums than just MB.

I currently don't. MB is the only forum I frequent.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
The Music Guru.
 
Burning Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 4,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
It could be whatever we decide I guess There's no problem making it so that it's available for people above a certain post count, but it could also be invite only if we wish.
That can be decided on later, but if it is made to be invite-only, I'm worried that it might create a divide between members. On my other forum it works well because it's a much smaller community and we (the members) know each other pretty well, as much as you can know somebody online! MB has a lot more members but only a handful of us post regularly (and I'm assuming those are the people who would most likely join a new board), so the invitation thing may work, but I find there is a lot more drama on this site and a general idea that we are elitist (which is not the case!). It was just an idea/suggestion, but now I'm pointing out all kinds of cons to it, so the post count thing will probably work better with this community.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #13 (permalink)
Dat's Der Bunny!
 
MoonlitSunshine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,079
Default

I would join a new forum were it to be created, but as others have said, I would be worried about the connotations - not only might it split the userbase, how would we ensure that every member heard about the new site? Also, what about old returning members - would they know where to look to find their old community?

However, the big thing from my own personal perspective is Archives. If we move to a new site, I would be much happier to do so were there a way to lift everything from this forum to the new one, but I have a feeling that that wouldn't be possible without admin access, if at all. if we can't, we lose 6 years worth of posts and memories, especially if the admins decide to close down the forum when the majority of the userbase ups and leaves.
__________________
"I found it eventually, at the bottom of a locker in a disused laboratory, with a sign on the door saying "Beware of the Leopard". Ever thought of going into Advertising?"

- Arthur Dent
MoonlitSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlitSunshine View Post
However, the big thing from my own personal perspective is Archives. If we move to a new site, I would be much happier to do so were there a way to lift everything from this forum to the new one, but I have a feeling that that wouldn't be possible without admin access, if at all. if we can't, we lose 6 years worth of posts and memories, especially if the admins decide to close down the forum when the majority of the userbase ups and leaves.
This is definetly a concern I'd temporarily forgotten when I wrote the first post. In my opinion, we can't "steal" threads and posts from musicbanter.com although I'd argue that each of us could move our own album reviews if we so wish. If we were to copy material from here and paste it on a new site, the new sites google rank would suffer from that because google would recognize it as a copy with musicbanter.com as the originating site of the info.

I'll put it up in the cons list.
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonlitSunshine View Post
I would join a new forum were it to be created, but as others have said, I would be worried about the connotations - not only might it split the userbase, how would we ensure that every member heard about the new site? Also, what about old returning members - would they know where to look to find their old community?

However, the big thing from my own personal perspective is Archives. If we move to a new site, I would be much happier to do so were there a way to lift everything from this forum to the new one, but I have a feeling that that wouldn't be possible without admin access, if at all. if we can't, we lose 6 years worth of posts and memories, especially if the admins decide to close down the forum when the majority of the userbase ups and leaves.

I don't feel like it's going to be a mass exodus. I feel like both sites can run parallel to each other

There are always going to be members that still stick around MB and use the new site both at the same time.

That is going to be one way for the old returning members of MB to find out about the new site.

I know for a fact that I will be one of those types using both forums and I don't see why that can't be done.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict
 
s_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,169
Default

Allright, there's one thing I'd like to point out.
I've been thinking about opening a dutch music forum for some time. We only have genre-based forums or instrument-based forums. But then I found this forum and figured it would be easier to just improve my english.
The reason I think it's hard to set up a forum in the Netherlands is that it will be stuffed with dumb people in some of the forums (especially R&B/Trance, can't help it...). They will come to forums about other genres and tell other people their taste sucks and so on.
I am really amazed by the mutual respect of the music listeners on this forum. It doesn't matter what you listen to, you will get a great deal of respect for being a music enthusiast, unless (and I think there's a good reason for that) you just listen to top 40 music or 'whatever is on at the radio at that point'.

I am a bit worried whether a similar atmosphere will be present at another forum...
__________________
Click here to see my collection
s_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
Allright, there's one thing I'd like to point out.
I've been thinking about opening a dutch music forum for some time. We only have genre-based forums or instrument-based forums. But then I found this forum and figured it would be easier to just improve my english.
The reason I think it's hard to set up a forum in the Netherlands is that it will be stuffed with dumb people in some of the forums (especially R&B/Trance, can't help it...). They will come to forums about other genres and tell other people their taste sucks and so on.
I am really amazed by the mutual respect of the music listeners on this forum. It doesn't matter what you listen to, you will get a great deal of respect for being a music enthusiast, unless (and I think there's a good reason for that) you just listen to top 40 music or 'whatever is on at the radio at that point'.

I am a bit worried whether a similar atmosphere will be present at another forum...
Well, that's because of how we moderate this place of course
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict
 
s_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,169
Default

I hope so .
__________________
Click here to see my collection
s_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
أمهاتك[وهور]Aura Euphoria
 
Thrice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Florida/Buffalo/CT
Posts: 2,077
Default

I do not like the idea too much. I feel the positives are only satisfying a few minor issues everyone has and the effects of the new site could be detrimental. When gregb ran the site, I had admin privileges, I think maybe we should aim for that. Maybe we can talk yac/admin to grant tore these privileges and solve the problems internally. I'm assuming you guys have the admin's personal contact info, if not, I'll provide it and you can hit that dude up and let him know we have issues that need attending to.
__________________


Lew Harrison, who looked like an anarchist with his red eyes and fierce black beard, had been writing furiously in one corner of the room. "That's goodóhappiness by the kilowatt," he said. "Buy your happiness the way you buy light."
Thrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
I do not like the idea too much. I feel the positives are only satisfying a few minor issues everyone has and the effects of the new site could be detrimental. When gregb ran the site, I had admin privileges, I think maybe we should aim for that. Maybe we can talk yac/admin to grant tore these privileges and solve the problems internally. I'm assuming you guys have the admin's personal contact info, if not, I'll provide it and you can hit that dude up and let him know we have issues that need attending to.
I think that's the reason this idea has come to light because yac/admin aren't willing to budge on that issue or that's just how I see it looking from the outside in.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.