Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Announcements, Suggestions, & Feedback
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 23,362
Default Journal posts delay: a possible answer?

I know I bust people's balls here about the length of time it takes to approve journal posts, but it really hasn't got any better. I also know I've been submitting more entries at once and so that makes the work that much harder, but as I mentioned, my policy of submitting, waiting for approval then submitting does not seem to be working as even one post is taking up to three days to be posted. As a result my journal now has, today, three posts saying, in order, "five/four/three days to Metal Month", which looks silly.

Annnyhooo...

My possible solution. Is it at all doable to make certain people "semi-mods", or even mods, simply and solely for the purpose of allowing us to approve our own journal posts? I know this was brought up in another form in another thread, discussed very briefly and dropped, the contention being that it would have to go through the admins, who never allow any changes. But if certain people were allowed the "powers" or "power" of mods, to only approve their own journal requests, would this not alleviate the workload and also stop annoying bastards like me hassling yiz all the time?

Is this possible? Acceptable? Off the wall? Out of my tree? Any comments?

My post count is only going to get more regular from next week as I plough into "Metal Month" and I really don't want to break the flow, so if it's possible to set this up by then it would be great. Other than that, it's back to asking whoever has taken on this responsibility to please try to ensure journal posts are approved in a timely manner, say 24 hours after being submitted.

See, you can say "why don't you do this and see how hard it is?" but I'm actually saying I will, or would, if given the powers. I don't want to be a mod --- and I know a lot of people would prefer I wasn't one --- but if I, and others who need the authority, could do this, would it not be worth looking at?

Thanks for listening; hope to hear some replies back.
And now, I go back to whatever it is I do!
TH
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #2 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,144
Default

I'm not sure if that's possible or not, but we can look into it.

Sorry you've had delays that long. I can't speak for other mods, but I'll personally try to make an effort to check the approval queue on a daily basis moving forward.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 23,362
Default

Thanks Jansz! Appreciate it.
It wasn't just me though: a whole slew of entries just appeared there about two hours ago, with nothing prior to that since about three days ago. I know it's tough and everyone has their priorities, I'd just like to see my entries come up a little sooner.
Thanks again
TH
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Thanks Jansz! Appreciate it.
It wasn't just me though: a whole slew of entries just appeared there about two hours ago, with nothing prior to that since about three days ago. I know it's tough and everyone has their priorities, I'd just like to see my entries come up a little sooner.
Thanks again
TH
I'm sure someone checked the queue and approved them all at the same. That's why they appeared all at once. If I'm checking once a day everything should at least be approved with 24 hours of being submitted.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Born to be mild
 
Trollheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: 404 Not Found
Posts: 23,362
Default

Oh yeah, I understand that. I'm just saying it wasn't just mine that weren't being approved, there was a list of them. I guess others aren't so anal about their journals, but I'm a little obssessive about mine!
__________________
Trollheart: Signature-free since April 2018
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

The easiest solution would be to make Trollheart a mod just for the journals. He lives in the journal section and is there all the time. So it seems logical that he should be the one to approve the entries, which would be done asap.

I agree with what he's said regarding journal entry delays. There have been times where I've posted a journal post and then a few days later have prepared to submit another, only to delay it as the previous entry still hadn't be approved.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Music Guru.
 
Burning Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 4,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm sure someone checked the queue and approved them all at the same. That's why they appeared all at once. If I'm checking once a day everything should at least be approved with 24 hours of being submitted.
That was me, lol. I don't normally check on Fridays because I'm at work and not supposed to be lingering around here, and I was in class the previous two days. I don't worry about it because I know there are other mods who can check the queue, but evidently not...
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crazyyyyyy Train
 
Celladorina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,831
Default

I'm on my phone most of the time but whenever I'm on my computer I will make sure to check bb!
Celladorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Right Honourable
 
Cuthbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: The Black Country
Posts: 8,762
Default

Why is it not possible to create a new usergroup, edit the permissions for the usergroup (so for example here, your posts wouldn't need to be approved) then just put members over a certain post count into it? Trusted posters go in to it. Don't see the problem tbh.

I'm not really arsed but it seems like a proper ballache for TH and I know creating usergroups with specific permissions is possible, I'm just unsure if it's possible on this forum.

You don't need to make anyone a mod and users can't abuse any power by being put into the new usergroup.

Win-win imo.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Music Guru.
 
Burning Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 4,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Benteke View Post
Why is it not possible to create a new usergroup, edit the permissions for the usergroup (so for example here, your posts wouldn't need to be approved) then just put members over a certain post count into it? Trusted posters go in to it. Don't see the problem tbh.

I'm not really arsed but it seems like a proper ballache for TH and I know creating usergroups with specific permissions is possible, I'm just unsure if it's possible on this forum.

You don't need to make anyone a mod and users can't abuse any power by being put into the new usergroup.

Win-win imo.
I don't think it's hard to do, like we could make a new user group for people who have 500+ posts or something. It's a suggestion we would have to submit to the admins as that is their domain.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2021 Advameg, Inc.