Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Avant Garde/Experimental
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2017, 04:56 AM   #31 (permalink)
hypercritically unserious
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 33,947
Default

An interview where Haino and the interviewee actually understand each other! Those who don't speak Japanese will need to turn on the closed captions.

__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:08 PM   #32 (permalink)
hypercritically unserious
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 33,947
Default

Anyone seen him perform? Catching him this summer which should be great.

__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 03:52 AM   #33 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
ehname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Anyone seen him perform? Catching him this summer which should be great.
Saw him play, awkwardly, in a Swedish family amusement park in broad daylight. Old aged pensioners where sitting eating baked potatoes in the audience, unsuspecting what to come, and young children where passing by in roller coasters looking like they didn't gave a **** about the ride, instead staring at the japanese weirdo being noisy. It was surreal, but of course great all the same. Think the arrangers might have been critisised afterwards.

So, did you catch him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Does anyone know, where one could obtain the Haino documentary?
Was it even released?
Couldn't find any info, but there's a lot in Japanese, so who knows...
I've been looking for this as well. Any new knowabouts since 2014 when this was posted?
Remember watching a Nazoranai documentary some time back, which made me mad about them for a while. Guess it is available through Youtube or Vimeo.
ehname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:53 PM   #34 (permalink)
hypercritically unserious
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 33,947
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehname View Post
Saw him play, awkwardly, in a Swedish family amusement park in broad daylight. Old aged pensioners where sitting eating baked potatoes in the audience, unsuspecting what to come, and young children where passing by in roller coasters looking like they didn't gave a **** about the ride, instead staring at the japanese weirdo being noisy. It was surreal, but of course great all the same. Think the arrangers might have been critisised afterwards.
I've seen a couple of public free jazz shows that had really confused audiences.

Quote:
So, did you catch him?
Ja, I caught him with Peter Brotzmann in Los Angeles two nights in a row. Brotzmann was doing some dope saxwork but Haino just stole the show. First night, he played his crazy space exploring percussion at the beginning of the show and I was right up there for that part. It's crazy that so much energy and powerful noise can fit into such a small Japanese man. He played guitar and what I think was a shehnai on top of his vocals for the rest of the show. A drumset sat in the background and he basically played it with his amplifier until he had someone come out and adjust it. On the second night, he started off on the kit and that was pretty sick. There were a lot of really intricate improvisational moments that were almost proggy when Haino was tearing it up on guitar and Brotzmann shredding on his clarinet or sax. Crazy to see both sets of those firy fingers in action.


Night One


Night Two

Anyway this album is great
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:07 PM   #35 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 19,517
Default

That’s the kind of **** that makes life worth living right there son
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
my music tastes are colored by my wanting to die


FLARLY WE RIDE
OccultHawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #36 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
ehname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I caught him with Peter Brotzmann in Los Angeles two nights in a row. Brotzmann was doing some dope saxwork but Haino just stole the show. First night, he played his crazy space exploring percussion at the beginning of the show and I was right up there for that part. It's crazy that so much energy and powerful noise can fit into such a small Japanese man. He played guitar and what I think was a shehnai on top of his vocals for the rest of the show. A drumset sat in the background and he basically played it with his amplifier until he had someone come out and adjust it. On the second night, he started off on the kit and that was pretty sick. There were a lot of really intricate improvisational moments that were almost proggy when Haino was tearing it up on guitar and Brotzmann shredding on his clarinet or sax. Crazy to see both sets of those firy fingers in action.
Have heard lots of praise towards the Haino/Brötzmann collabs, and of course I highly regard Brötzmann aswell as Haino, but I haven't yet found the time to dig in to their stuff. But I'd need to make it happen asap!
I find it more fascinating that these guys makes this kind of noise in such late years, rather than them being small. They're getting old!
ehname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:44 PM   #37 (permalink)
hypercritically unserious
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 33,947
Default

Honestly, I think Haino will live for quite a long time. Brotzmann looked more his age but musically has become a lot more weightless. There was about 10 minutes of applause at the end of the first show and I thought that we were asking quite a bit from 2 old men. The next night had about 6 or 7 minutes of applause and it was a much better show imo.

When Haino's tearing it up with distortion on a hella loud amp, that is some crazy **** to behold I tell you. Obviously jump at any chance you have to see the guy.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:51 PM   #38 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
ehname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Honestly, I think Haino will live for quite a long time. Brotzmann looked more his age but musically has become a lot more weightless. There was about 10 minutes of applause at the end of the first show and I thought that we were asking quite a bit from 2 old men. The next night had about 6 or 7 minutes of applause and it was a much better show imo.

When Haino's tearing it up with distortion on a hella loud amp, that is some crazy **** to behold I tell you. Obviously jump at any chance you have to see the guy.
Didn't realize Brötzmann actually is 12 years older than Haino. Damn, he's 77 years old! Wonder how for how long he'll manage to blow that horn. Haino though has some really cool apparence for being in his mid 60's. That haircut is badass.
ehname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:54 PM   #39 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 7,036
Default

I've been seeing Brötzmann almost every year for the past ten or so years and he sure got noticeably more and more frail during that time. Hope he'll still keep making the earth a more beautiful place for many more years to come.
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:58 PM   #40 (permalink)
hypercritically unserious
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 33,947
Default

*gaunt expression*
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.