Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Avant Garde/Experimental
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 05:39 PM   #131 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,157
Default

^did you record it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
It may very well, but that doesn't mean you have to accept his interpretation as gospel, or that it is inherently correct. He might believe that vaccines cause autism, after all.
That doesn't have anything to do with the art though. I mean, Jim Carrey still had some funny movies and I wouldn't doubt him if he said he was trying to be funny in the other ones. He's still a lame anti-vaxxer. Generally people are aware of their thoughts when they create something from scratch, so I'm going to go on taking them at their word when they describe their intentions.

That's not to mention that dictating what art isn't is far more pretentious than anything that's attempting to challenge those preconceived notions.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:42 PM   #132 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
The tacos I had for dinner today are music

And you can't debate that because I said so and I'm the one that had the tacos.



^^ genre-bending musical masterpiece

Now kiss my feet Frownland
Give it an hour, and then you'll be making some real music.
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:52 PM   #133 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
That doesn't have anything to do with the art though. I mean, Jim Carrey still had some funny movies and I wouldn't doubt him if he said he was trying to be funny in the other ones. He's still a lame anti-vaxxer.
Whatever, Trollheart.

Quote:
Generally people are aware of their thoughts when they create something from scratch, so I'm going to go on taking them at their word when they describe their intentions.
Generally people also are full of **** in some form or another, so I don't see why I shouldn't question them.

Quote:
That's not to mention that dictating what art isn't is far more pretentious than anything that's attempting to challenge those preconceived notions.
On this forum, your position seems to the conventional one, so I'm the iconoclast here . And from what I can see, a lot of people hold your point of view, not so much because they actually believe it, but because they don't want to be seen as the kind of person who doesn't "get art". Which is pretty pretentious.
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #134 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
On this forum, your position seems to the conventional one, so I'm the iconoclast here . And from what I can see, a lot of people hold your point of view, not so much because they actually believe it, but because they don't want to be seen as the kind of person who doesn't "get art". Which is pretty pretentious.
Really? I just figured that they were the type of people who respect the artist's word on their own music. Seems like a no brainer for me. I would respect a carpenter's claim that the chair he made was made out of hardwood oak much in the same way. Sure, they could be full of ****, but given that it's an artist's livelihood or passion, it wouldn't get them anywhere lying about something like that.

The word of the artist trumps all.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #135 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Really? I just figured that they were the type of people who respect the artist's word on their own music. Seems like a no brainer for me. I would respect a carpenter's claim that the chair he made was made out of hardwood oak much in the same way. Sure, they could be full of ****, but given that it's an artist's livelihood or passion, it wouldn't get them anywhere lying about something like that.
Unless of course they just accidentally used the wrong piece of wood and didn't notice.

This is beside the point however. I think I've shown that claiming that something is music just because the artist says it is music, is not a valid argument by itself. There are other criteria to meet, or else music has no definition.

Quote:
The word of the artist trumps all.
Yeah, that doesn't sound pretentious at all. I feel like that should be the plaque on a statue of some guy riding a horse, pointing toward the horizon.
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #136 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,157
Default

Music is whatever you want it to be. Once you start saying that music stops *here*, then you're closing yourself out of a world of new music. Whether something is or isn't music is not even an arguing point as far as I'm concerned. Whether it's clever, ****, melodic, or any other thing about it is a different story. It is most certainly a valid point by itself when an artist puts something out as music. You can go ahead and keep attempting these mental gymnastics but when it comes down to it I'm never going to disagree with an artist on whether their art is art. It's a shame that speaking out against a close minded view of music earns me the label of pretentious.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:27 PM   #137 (permalink)
Fck Ths Thngs
 
DwnWthVwls's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,053
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Once you start saying that music stops *here*, then you're closing yourself out of a world of new music.
So? I don't have to consider something music to enjoy my sense of hearing. I'm not missing out on anything I'm just classifying it as something else.
__________________
I don't got a god complex, you got a simple god...

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'd vote for Trump
DwnWthVwls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:27 PM   #138 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Music is whatever you want it to be. Once you start saying that music stops *here*, then you're closing yourself out of a world of new music. Whether something is or isn't music is not even an arguing point as far as I'm concerned. Whether it's clever, ****, melodic, or any other thing about it is a different story. It is most certainly a valid point by itself when an artist puts something out as music. You can go ahead and keep attempting these mental gymnastics but when it comes down to it I'm never going to disagree with an artist on whether their art is art.
What that all amounts to is that music has no definition. If music has no definition then you're not arguing about music (as you've just said, but contradicted many times), you're arguing for the prestige of being able to call something music.

Quote:
It's a shame that speaking out against a close minded view of music earns me the label of pretentious.
Okay, Soulflower.
__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #139 (permalink)
stay the |fvck| inside
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North of Antarctica
Posts: 33,157
Default

Whatever music is, 4'33" is part of it. *shrug*
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:31 PM   #140 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,135
Default

__________________
CHINA IS CAPITALIST
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.