Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Avant Garde/Experimental
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Noisy Neighbor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 18
Default How to find an audience for avant-garde/noise rock

I make avant-garde/experimental/noise rock. I have my music on Soundcloud, but it's hard to find an audience who appreciates my (apparently) headache inducing music. There's always one or two people in every crowd that say they like my sound, but most people don't know how to react. I'm not going to conform to appeal to the masses, but where do I go or what do I have to do to find people who enjoy my music?
Noisy Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits
 
Exo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 6,097
Default

Just a kindly reminder. I approved this thread because I checked out your other posts and saw that you didn't directly refer to your music in your post. We don't allow joining for self promotion so please be sure to stick around a bit and contribute to the music discussion before you post anything with your music. You don't seem like a spammer so welcome.

As for your question...

What kind of area do you live in?
__________________
LastFM
My Film Blog That I don't Write in Anymore
jsmith7389 on Spotify
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
ants are at every zoo you ever been to bitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
elph

would you kiss the vagina of a woman who asked you to switch off half japanese?
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Keigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 80
Default

Use all forms of social media. We promote on Facebook, Soundcloud and Reverbnation. Get any friends that you have on FB, Twitter, etc as well as anyone whose interested in your music to share it on their pages as well. We have videos on Youtube and that helped us a lot. Our singer makes the videos by editing various found images together. We don't have a ton of fans but we have people from as far as Japan liking our page so social media definitely works. Of course it helps if you're good at networking like our singer is.
Keigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Groupie
 
aspiemusicnerd420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Brighton
Posts: 3
Default

try ambient online forums
your best option is to go to labels and realise your stuff through them. also Bandcamp
aspiemusicnerd420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Noisy Neighbor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo View Post
Just a kindly reminder. I approved this thread because I checked out your other posts and saw that you didn't directly refer to your music in your post. We don't allow joining for self promotion so please be sure to stick around a bit and contribute to the music discussion before you post anything with your music. You don't seem like a spammer so welcome.

As for your question...

What kind of area do you live in?
I'm in southern California on the coast. I recently saw an ad in the paper that noise was taking center-stage at a 21 and older venue, so I couldn't go. So I guess there's something. I kinda want to reach out to those bands, but I don't want to mooch off of them.
Noisy Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Noisy Neighbor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keigh View Post
Use all forms of social media. We promote on Facebook, Soundcloud and Reverbnation. Get any friends that you have on FB, Twitter, etc as well as anyone whose interested in your music to share it on their pages as well. We have videos on Youtube and that helped us a lot. Our singer makes the videos by editing various found images together. We don't have a ton of fans but we have people from as far as Japan liking our page so social media definitely works. Of course it helps if you're good at networking like our singer is.
I actually just started putting videos up on YouTube (just some live jams). I'm not posting consistently, but I'm posting something
Noisy Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Noisy Neighbor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiemusicnerd420 View Post
try ambient online forums
your best option is to go to labels and realise your stuff through them. also Bandcamp
I've been thinking about bandcamp recently. I think i want a solid band before I start getting money. I think soundcloud is good for solo demos and showing my potential.
But my thoughts may change and I might start putting things on bandcamp
Noisy Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
midnite roles around
 
Mrs. Tristan Rosenstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Occupied Sippihaw Territory
Posts: 4,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisy Neighbor View Post
I've been thinking about bandcamp recently. I think i want a solid band before I start getting money. I think soundcloud is good for solo demos and showing my potential.
But my thoughts may change and I might start putting things on bandcamp
Bandcamp is definitely a good way to go. It might be hard to get an live audience (it is in most underground music) but it really depends on your location. I know Boston, MA and Wilmington, NC both have flourishing noise/experimental scenes but as for you it's beat to look more into it. If you live in a city area there's always going to be a small following, but it's a little iffy around rural areas.
__________________
YW Fam: All MB Music Projects Under One Roof

Emo/Pop Punk Journal

Techno Journal


Quote:
Originally Posted by Neward Thelman View Post
"SMOKE CRACK MUDA****KKA"

I'll check that dictionary, but in the meantime I'm impressed - as is everyone else in the world - by your eloquence, obvious accomplishments and success, and the evidence of your blazingly high intelligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
He just doesn't have a mind so closed that it rivals Blockbuster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I own the mail
Mrs. Tristan Rosenstock is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.