Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Avant Garde/Experimental
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 05:35 PM   #11 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,076
Default

The way I see it, when someone (whether it be the artist, fans, and/or critics) calls something "art rock" it often comes across as a self-conscious and egotistical attempt to distance the music from mainstream "non-arty" music. I mean, there isn't a genre of art called "art painting". It's just art. Music is likewise just art -- even though a lot of people don't think of it that way -- and the kind of people who would use the term "art rock" are aware of this, so their using it just seems redundant and desperate.

That is not at all a criticism of the music itself of course, or even the tastes and opinions of people who call something "art rock", just my general impression of why they and the genre are seen as pretentious. It's not like I care about doing away with the term, and I use it myself, as it is a recognized genre name that describes certain bands who might otherwise be hard to categorize (not that "art rock" is a particularly useful description of a band's sound, but it's better than nothing).
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,771
Default

Pretty sure it wasn't invented by the musicians themselves. Not to mention that a lot of bands are reluctant to label themselves.
It's one of the 'blurrier' genres anyway, don't think I've ever had to use the term when talking about music.
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
midnite roles around
 
Mrs. Tristan Rosenstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Occupied Sippihaw Territory
Posts: 4,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Pretty sure it wasn't invented by the musicians themselves. Not to mention that a lot of bands are reluctant to label themselves.
It's one of the 'blurrier' genres anyway, don't think I've ever had to use the term when talking about music.
Not sure how I feel about the term, I've used it a couple times to refer to more forward thinking artists but there are certinly better terms to use.
__________________
YW Fam: All MB Music Projects Under One Roof

Emo/Pop Punk Journal

Techno Journal


Quote:
Originally Posted by Neward Thelman View Post
"SMOKE CRACK MUDA****KKA"

I'll check that dictionary, but in the meantime I'm impressed - as is everyone else in the world - by your eloquence, obvious accomplishments and success, and the evidence of your blazingly high intelligence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
He just doesn't have a mind so closed that it rivals Blockbuster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I own the mail
Mrs. Tristan Rosenstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Pretty sure it wasn't invented by the musicians themselves. Not to mention that a lot of bands are reluctant to label themselves.
It's one of the 'blurrier' genres anyway, don't think I've ever had to use the term when talking about music.
Which is why I said artists, fans, and critics. I really don't know who coined the term, or who decides what bands qualify, but its application still comes across as a self-conscious attempt to legitimize an artist. Do you really need to call Brian Eno "art rock" to get across how arty or experimental he is?
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
Out of Place
 
Black Francis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: in an abstract house
Posts: 4,004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
If you don't see the beauty, skill, effort and purpose in a work of art or music, but the artist and fans act like they do, you feel like they are idiots pretending that there is something where you're sure there isn't. Hence the perceived pretentiousness.
I don't think anything has to be done. Nothing is dying. Artists will always create, some people will always appreciate it. Different strokes for different folks.
Right, it's like the defense mechanism of the ignorant. it's kinda like insulting someone who knows more than you by calling them a geek or a nerd. i'd love to say im above such labels but frankly im not, just like everybody else i use them to my convenience.
__________________
"Hey Kids you got to meet the MIGHTY PIXIES!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbRbCtIgW3A
Black Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
Oracle
 
RoxyRollah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Closer then you think.....
Posts: 3,982
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
The way I see it, when someone (whether it be the artist, fans, and/or critics) calls something "art rock" it often comes across as a self-conscious and egotistical attempt to distance the music from mainstream "non-arty" music. I mean, there isn't a genre of art called "art painting". It's just art. Music is likewise just art -- even though a lot of people don't think of it that way -- and the kind of people who would use the term "art rock" are aware of this, so their using it just seems redundant and desperate.

That is not at all a criticism of the music itself of course, or even the tastes and opinions of people who call something "art rock", just my general impression of why they and the genre are seen as pretentious. It's not like I care about doing away with the term, and I use it myself, as it is a recognized genre name that describes certain bands who might otherwise be hard to categorize (not that "art rock" is a particularly useful description of a band's sound, but it's better than nothing).
Your last record sucked.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Roxy is unable to perpetrate violence. It always somehow turns into BDSM between two consenting adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I just want to say your tits are lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Roxy is the William S. Burroughs of our time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I like Roxy, she's awesome and her taste in music far exceeds yours. Roxy is in the Major League bro, and you're like a sad clown in a two bit rodeo.
RoxyRollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 42,076
Default

k
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Noisy Neighbor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
But back to the pope man....A solid 3:16
this pope has a strange ego
__________________
Celebrate the creation of art rather than glorify the product.
Noisy Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Oracle
 
RoxyRollah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Closer then you think.....
Posts: 3,982
Default

Not as bad as the nazi....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Roxy is unable to perpetrate violence. It always somehow turns into BDSM between two consenting adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I just want to say your tits are lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Roxy is the William S. Burroughs of our time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I like Roxy, she's awesome and her taste in music far exceeds yours. Roxy is in the Major League bro, and you're like a sad clown in a two bit rodeo.
RoxyRollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:17 PM   #20 (permalink)
Oracle
 
RoxyRollah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Closer then you think.....
Posts: 3,982
Default

.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Roxy is unable to perpetrate violence. It always somehow turns into BDSM between two consenting adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I just want to say your tits are lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Roxy is the William S. Burroughs of our time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I like Roxy, she's awesome and her taste in music far exceeds yours. Roxy is in the Major League bro, and you're like a sad clown in a two bit rodeo.
RoxyRollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.