Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Avant Garde/Experimental
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Noisy Neighbor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 18
Cool Why/How is art rock pretentious?

I listen to a lot of Lou Reed, Sonic Youth, and Keiji Haino because I love what they can do with their instruments. However I've noticed in YouTube comments, forums, and journalist sites, these artists' music (and occasionally the artist themselves) are called "pretentious".
So why is it that a painter can do a painting and it's automatically called "art" and no one bats an eye, but when music is artful and creative it is labeled "pretentious"?
Noisy Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,763
Default

Art, especially of the modern variety, is being labeled as pretentious and 'not really art' all the time.
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Oracle
 
RoxyRollah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Closer then you think.....
Posts: 3,982
Default

Its only pretenious if you are the pope....I mean you're already the pope....Do you really need a prog album too?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Roxy is unable to perpetrate violence. It always somehow turns into BDSM between two consenting adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I just want to say your tits are lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Roxy is the William S. Burroughs of our time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I like Roxy, she's awesome and her taste in music far exceeds yours. Roxy is in the Major League bro, and you're like a sad clown in a two bit rodeo.
RoxyRollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Noisy Neighbor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Art, especially of the modern variety, is being labeled as pretentious and 'not really art' all the time.
now that i think about it, you're absolutely right. why is that? why don't people accept new art? is art dying because everyone is shaming (for lack of a better word) it? will we see it as art in the future? WHAT DO WE DO??
Noisy Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisy Neighbor View Post
now that i think about it, you're absolutely right. why is that? why don't people accept new art? is art dying because everyone is shaming (for lack of a better word) it? will we see it as art in the future? WHAT DO WE DO??
If you don't see the beauty, skill, effort and purpose in a work of art or music, but the artist and fans act like they do, you feel like they are idiots pretending that there is something where you're sure there isn't. Hence the perceived pretentiousness.
I don't think anything has to be done. Nothing is dying. Artists will always create, some people will always appreciate it. Different strokes for different folks.
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Oracle
 
RoxyRollah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Closer then you think.....
Posts: 3,982
Default

But back to the pope man....A solid 3:16
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Roxy is unable to perpetrate violence. It always somehow turns into BDSM between two consenting adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I just want to say your tits are lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Roxy is the William S. Burroughs of our time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I like Roxy, she's awesome and her taste in music far exceeds yours. Roxy is in the Major League bro, and you're like a sad clown in a two bit rodeo.
RoxyRollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Noisy Neighbor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
If you don't see the beauty, skill, effort and purpose in a work of art or music, but the artist and fans act like they do, you feel like they are idiots pretending that there is something where you're sure there isn't. Hence the perceived pretentiousness.
I don't think anything has to be done. Nothing is dying. Artists will always create, some people will always appreciate it. Different strokes for different folks.
perfect! you've beautifully answered my question. thank you
__________________
Celebrate the creation of art rather than glorify the product.
Noisy Neighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Oracle
 
RoxyRollah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Closer then you think.....
Posts: 3,982
Default

This thread is getting pretentious.....Ya high flutin mothafuckas.....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Roxy is unable to perpetrate violence. It always somehow turns into BDSM between two consenting adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I just want to say your tits are lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Roxy is the William S. Burroughs of our time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I like Roxy, she's awesome and her taste in music far exceeds yours. Roxy is in the Major League bro, and you're like a sad clown in a two bit rodeo.
RoxyRollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
.
 
grindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: .
Posts: 6,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisy Neighbor View Post
perfect! you've beautifully answered my question. thank you
Thanks, Neighbour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
This thread is getting pretentious.....Ya high flutin mothafuckas.....
I am pretty high, but it's too late at night for flutin'. Soprano recorders suck anyway.
__________________
A smell of petroleum prevails throughout.
grindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Oracle
 
RoxyRollah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Closer then you think.....
Posts: 3,982
Default

Surprise.....surprise.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
Roxy is unable to perpetrate violence. It always somehow turns into BDSM between two consenting adults.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I just want to say your tits are lovely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Roxy is the William S. Burroughs of our time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
I like Roxy, she's awesome and her taste in music far exceeds yours. Roxy is in the Major League bro, and you're like a sad clown in a two bit rodeo.
RoxyRollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2020 Advameg, Inc.