Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Classical
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Is classical music still relevant today?
YES 161 94.71%
NO 9 5.29%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #311 (permalink)
apes are not monkeys
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 26,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1blankmind View Post
I strongly disagree.
Me too. Many other genres can move a story forwad successfully, it's just that the standard is classical music.
__________________
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #312 (permalink)
Resistance is futile
 
Blank.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Dank memes
Posts: 3,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Me too. Many other genres can move a story forwad successfully, it's just that the standard is classical music.
Classical music helps emit the emotion without stealing the scene away from the actors.

And there's a reason why every music teacher ever will say minor chords are sad blah blah blah.
__________________
Mods have Big Gay
Blank. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #313 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Victor Frankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Italy
Posts: 9
Default

Ok this according your point of view, I'm talking about what producers actually do.

take me some examples of trailer/teaser/entire scenes of a movies that want to encrease the emotional stuff with a different genre (don't take me the trailer of Suicide Squad please that its juxtaposition of a song in a different situation became a trend).

Usually metal is also used in action movies, but a genre to a genre.

All trailers use an audio language that is performed by orchestra or that it followed the print of classical music. (James Horner,the composer of Titanic soundtrack for example takes inspirations by classical composer like Prokofiev or Wagner and mix their sound with electronic instruments)

The audio track used for the first time in the trailer of Spiderman 2 by Sam Raimi, that epic track with the usual "beat" in sequence, this type of "soundtrack" is arleady used in ALMOST ALL movies and videogames trailer.
And you can't do it with a different music genre.

All the most famous movies' soundtrack are modern classical music as genre, Star Wars, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Inception, Harry Potter etc..

It's a standard yeah, because it works and it's totally revelant.. so Frownland, you are agree with me saying that lol
Victor Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:12 PM   #314 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Victor Frankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Italy
Posts: 9
Default

I think that you two that before wrote "I'm totally disagree" now are writing, in a different way, what I'm saying lol

1blankmind, classical music can emit the emotion even if the actors are not present, like the opening scene of Forrest Gump
Victor Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:16 PM   #315 (permalink)
MusicBanterrhea
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 5,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Frankenstein View Post
Ok this according your point of view, I'm talking about what producers actually do.

take me some examples of trailer/teaser/entire scenes of a movies that want to encrease the emotional stuff with a different genre (don't take me the trailer of Suicide Squad please that its juxtaposition of a song in a different situation became a trend).

Usually metal is also used in action movies, but a genre to a genre.

All trailers use an audio language that is performed by orchestra or that it followed the print of classical music. (James Horner,the composer of Titanic soundtrack for example takes inspirations by classical composer like Prokofiev or Wagner and mix their sound with electronic instruments)

The audio track used for the first time in the trailer of Spiderman 2 by Sam Raimi, that epic track with the usual "beat" in sequence, this type of "soundtrack" is arleady used in ALMOST ALL movies and videogames trailer.
And you can't do it with a different music genre.

All the most famous movies' soundtrack are modern classical music as genre, Star Wars, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones
, Inception, Harry Potter etc..

It's a standard yeah, because it works and it's totally revelant.. so Frownland, you are agree with me saying that lol
John Williams (the composer, not John Williams the classical guitar player) wrote the score for Star Wars, Jaws, Jurassic Park (I,II), Indian Jones.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Mods. Please kill the thread.


If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” –Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:20 PM   #316 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Victor Frankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Italy
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
John Williams (the composer, not John Williams the classical guitar player) wrote the score for Star Wars, Jaws, Jurassic Park (I,II), Indian Jones.
Eh I know dude and I like a lot his works!
Victor Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:24 PM   #317 (permalink)
apes are not monkeys
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 26,395
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Frankenstein View Post

take me some examples of trailer/teaser/entire scenes of a movies that want to encrease the emotional stuff with a different genre (don't take me the trailer of Suicide Squad please that its juxtaposition of a song in a different situation became a trend).
I read it (and the rest of your post I quoted here reads that way too) as if you were saying classical music was the standard because it is more effective than other genres, which isn't true.

Here's some movies with a nonclassical soundtrack
A Streetcar Named Desire
Dead Man
Anatomy of a Murder
Inside Llewyn Davis
Reservoir Dogs
Goodfellas
Naked Lunch
Trainspotting
Etc.
__________________
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #318 (permalink)
MusicBanterrhea
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 5,961
Default

Scotland, Pa. brought "Mac Beth" to the 70s and set it to a soundtrack consisting only of Bad Company songs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Mods. Please kill the thread.


If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” –Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:51 PM   #319 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Victor Frankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Italy
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I read it (and the rest of your post I quoted here reads that way too) as if you were saying classical music was the standard because it is more effective than other genres, which isn't true.

Here's some movies with a nonclassical soundtrack
A Streetcar Named Desire
Dead Man
Anatomy of a Murder
Inside Llewyn Davis
Reservoir Dogs
Goodfellas
Naked Lunch
Trainspotting
Etc.
Okay you did interesting examples, for sure you have good taste in movies, but I have something to say about them.

During the 60's Jazz had the main role in the cinema, and obviously if you have to do a movie about american gangstar is better jazz or ragtime than classical, or you can do a movie about gangster and put it Beethoven and make A Clockwork Orange 2.0

Anyway, all the movies that you names (all fantastic movies) are not commercial movies (except the 60's ones)
But you know that if I have to do a list of movies that use classical music to strenghten their stories, mine'll be bigger.

But Frownland I'm defending classical music not because I'm a classical music lover, but because nowadays all commercial movies and trailer of those movies push a lot in the audio language and the emotional contagion, in which audio has a really important role.. and the 80% of the case directors diceded to emit feels through classical music. But this is not my point of view, it's what the producers are doing (and it's the second time that I'm saying this).
Yeah there are a lot of movies around, seriously a lot, and it's impossible, objectively talking, that all movies have the same musical genre as soundtrack, but I started talking about marketing and I have to show you that in this mudhole called marketing the use of some classical track is almost a must, please go and watch the trailers of the last commercial movies, you can see from yourself that the tracks are quite similar.

However this thread doesn't talk about the difference between classical music and other genres or if movies have or not another genres as soundtrack (even if I was talking about the emit of feels through classical music in fact I did the example of the opening scene of Forrest Gump that explain very well what I'm saying) but if classical musical is revelant nowadays.
And well it is.

Last edited by Victor Frankenstein; 01-04-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Victor Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #320 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Victor Frankenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Italy
Posts: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Scotland, Pa. brought "Mac Beth" to the 70s and set it to a soundtrack consisting only of Bad Company songs. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't know this movie
Victor Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2018 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.