Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > Country, Folk & World Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #421 (permalink)
Gotcha
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 30,918
Default

"Nazi black metal" is digging a bit deep into subgenre imo. How does it stand up to white supremacist country?

Speaking on a large scale, country is the big winner in the most racist race.
__________________
At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:03 AM   #422 (permalink)
Call me Mustard
 
rubber soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pepperland
Posts: 1,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post


this my favorite but i prolly only like 10 country songs

edit: more like 5 songs prolly
Ha. They used to play that song in the seventh inning stretch at Orioles games in late 70s/early 80's. Denver even sang the song in the 83 World Series.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
But looking for quality interaction on MB is like trying to stay hydrated by drinking salt water.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #423 (permalink)
Ⱨł₲ⱧɆⱤ Vł฿Ɽ₳₮łØ₦₴
 
Mindfulness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
Ha. They used to play that song in the seventh inning stretch at Orioles games in late 70s/early 80's. Denver even sang the song in the 83 World Series.
i wasnt even alive in 1983
i have his greatest hits album on vinyl, i like some johnny cash songs too. and there are a few rock songs that could prolly be country too that im sure i like
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You need to be more mindful of what you post.
Mindfulness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:19 AM   #424 (permalink)
Born To Be Mild
 
Lisnaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: He lives on Love Street
Posts: 3,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
"Nazi black metal" is digging a bit deep into subgenre imo.
^ That's a fair point of course. It's a sub-genre that specifically defines itself by its political position.

Quote:
How does it stand up to white supremacist country?
Speaking on a large scale, country is the big winner in the most racist race.
^ I don't have an answer to these questions, never having heard, to my knowledge, a racist country song. That's why I asked Mindfulness for some evidence: it's a variation on the comment of "Photos or it didn't happen."

Genuine question on a broader point that Mindfulness raised: In the USA, does nostalgia for the 1800s automatically imply that you're a racist?
__________________
Did you ever hear of having more than you wanted? So that you couldn’t want anything else and then started looking for something else to want? It seems like we’re always searching for something to satisfy us, and never finding it. - Susan Eloise Hinton, 1967
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #425 (permalink)
Call me Mustard
 
rubber soul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Pepperland
Posts: 1,313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post

^ I don't have an answer to these questions, never having heard, to my knowledge, a racist country song. That's why I asked Mindfulness for some evidence: it's a variation on the comment of "Photos or it didn't happen."
Check Hawk's Southern Artists thread. He's got some winners in there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
But looking for quality interaction on MB is like trying to stay hydrated by drinking salt water.
rubber soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:32 AM   #426 (permalink)
Ⱨł₲ⱧɆⱤ Vł฿Ɽ₳₮łØ₦₴
 
Mindfulness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3,628
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ That's a fair point of course. It's a sub-genre that specifically defines itself by its political position.



^ I don't have an answer to these questions, never having heard, to my knowledge, a racist country song. That's why I asked Mindfulness for some evidence: it's a variation on the comment of "Photos or it didn't happen."

Genuine question on a broader point that Mindfulness raised: In the USA, does nostalgia for the 1800s automatically imply that you're a racist?
not because you just like the tunes but if youre wearing the hats, the belts and the boots.. that person likes the culture from that time and not just the music
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You need to be more mindful of what you post.
Mindfulness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #427 (permalink)
Born To Be Mild
 
Lisnaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: He lives on Love Street
Posts: 3,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber soul View Post
Check Hawk's Southern Artists thread. He's got some winners in there.
^ Thanks! I might take a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post


this my favorite but i prolly only like 10 country songs

edit: more like 5 songs prolly
^ I thought I was going to hear a cover version of this song, which is pretty syrupy, but does have a genuinely touching chorus imo:-

__________________
Did you ever hear of having more than you wanted? So that you couldn’t want anything else and then started looking for something else to want? It seems like we’re always searching for something to satisfy us, and never finding it. - Susan Eloise Hinton, 1967
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:47 AM   #428 (permalink)
WWWP f*cks dogs
 
Doug McClasky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 38,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
One starting point could be where country music blurs into the more appealing genre of rock.
My muthafukkin nigga.





__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
Doug McClasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #429 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Aalborg
Posts: 7,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ Apart from knowing about Neko Case, this could be word-for-word my opinion about country music too, MicShazam! If you are willing, perhaps we could explore the genre together here ? It'd be fun to have a companion on the journey, especially as the destination itself might turn out to be a disappointment.

One starting point could be where country music blurs into the more appealing genre of rock. If so, Gram Parsons might be the guy to begin with:-



Spoiler for setlist of GP tribute album:
1. John Hiatt introduction (cut at start)
2. Return Of The Grevious Angel (Emmylou Harris & Ryan Adams)
3. High Fashion Queen (Steve Earle & Chris Hillman)
4. Dialogue-Emmylou & Hiatt
5. Hickory Wind (Gillian Welch & David Rawlings)
6. Hot Burrito #1 (The Mavericks)
7. Dialogue-Emmylou & Hiatt
8. Sin City (Earle, Welch & Rawlings)
9. Dialogue-Emmylou & Hiatt
10. 100 Years From Now (Wilco)
11. Dialogue-Emmylou, Hillman & Hiatt
12. Juanita-Sheryl Crow & Emmylou
13. Dialogue-Emmylou, Hillman & Hiatt
14. Wheels (Hillman & Jim Lauderdale)
15. Dialogue-Emmylou, Hillman & Hiatt
16. A Song For You (Whiskeytown)
17. In My Hour Of Darkness (Victoria Williams & All)
Yes, let's do that! I'm willing to listen to some stuff and see what happens.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:08 AM   #430 (permalink)
WWWP f*cks dogs
 
Doug McClasky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 38,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicShazam View Post
Yes, let's do that! I'm willing to listen to some stuff and see what happens.
I'm gonna need some specifics about what you do and don't like about country.
__________________
BRING ME THE HORIZON >>>> CHARLES MINGUS
i
Doug McClasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.