The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread - Music Banter Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2018, 11:51 AM   #14671 (permalink)
Paragraph President
 
Unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Burning Star
Posts: 837
Default

Yeah, I have never been able to understand it. They're so annoying, and I've just been waiting for the fad to finally die off. At least it feels like it's starting to.
__________________
Last.FM
RYM
Unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #14672 (permalink)
Softest Bullet Ever Shot
 
windsock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: the Outer Rim
Posts: 1,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Ja, Babymetal is 100% gimmick.
Everytime I see them I'm reminded of those interviews with mentally broken J and K-pop idols. Sad **** really.
__________________
RYM
Last.fm


Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I don't want to rec you anything, I want you to stop posting actually
windsock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #14673 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
Found it weird how back in the day hip hop heads rejected anything that was mainstream or commercial and championed independent and underground artists that were bringing new sounds into hip hop. Now they are sucking one of the most mainstream artist's dick, who has put a literal commercial as the closer to his newest album, for attacking the underground and independent artists because they don't like the new sounds they bring into hip hop and want the same old boom bap.
Just a product of the genre becoming multi-generational imo. You saw the same blowback from old heads as rock and metal aged, it's no surprise that the same thing is happening to hip hop.
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #14674 (permalink)
Cuter Than Post Malone.
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Just a product of the genre becoming multi-generational imo. You saw the same blowback from old heads as rock and metal aged, it's no surprise that the same thing is happening to hip hop.
I read somewhere that once you hit a certain age most people stop looking for new music and just stick to the music the listened to in their youth or songs that bring back nostalgia. That's where I think it comes from. I think it said that happens around the mid 20s. Luckily I probably listen to more new music now than ever and I don't think I'll slow down anytime soon.
__________________
Quote:
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:05 PM   #14675 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucem Ferre View Post
I read somewhere that once you hit a certain age most people stop looking for new music and just stick to the music the listened to in their youth or songs that bring back nostalgia. That's where I think it comes from. I think it said that happens around the mid 20s. Luckily I probably listen to more new music now than ever and I don't think I'll slow down anytime soon.
I think that's true for a lot of people, but it really depends on what kind of a music listener you are. If a big part of your listening experience is nerding out on underground (or not) stuff that's new to you, I think that that sticks with you as you age. If you're just a casual music listener, that hunt is unnecessary once you have your favourites in line, so that person would be more prone to a fixed taste once they reach a certain age. Sort of like how the kind of person who turns into a Republican simply because they're getting older was probably never really invested in politics to begin with.
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:17 PM   #14676 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 22,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Rob Halford: 'Babymetal Are One Of The Most Unique Metal Experiences In The World Right Now' - Blabbermouth.net

lmao Robby. This really isn't all that different from Eminem bitching about soundcloud.
I sort of get you but can you spell this out a little more. How is liking something the same as not liking something? Eminem seems frustrated in a way that’s like Yes crafting the **** out of something but it’s still not as a good as Lil Yachty saying “yeah”. Halford is actually enjoying something kind of silly. Isn’t that at least sort of refreshing? And do you like Shonen Knife or PuffyAmiYumi? Quick glance and I’m getting the same kind of happy happy let’s go vibe. My guess is you figure Halford just likes getting his balls licked. Is that it?
__________________

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:20 PM   #14677 (permalink)
Zum Henker Defätist!!
 
The Batlord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 48,216
Default

Just old out of touch guys who kinda don't deserve to have their old man opinions treated as anything worth taking seriously.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #14678 (permalink)
SOPHIE FOREVER
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: East of the Southern North American West
Posts: 35,548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I sort of get you but can you spell this out a little more. How is liking something the same as not liking something? Eminem seems frustrated in a way that’s like Yes crafting the **** out of something but it’s still not as a good as Lil Yachty saying “yeah”. Halford is actually enjoying something kind of silly. Isn’t that at least sort of refreshing? And do you like Shonen Knife or PuffyAmiYumi? Quick glance and I’m getting the same kind of happy happy let’s go vibe. My guess is you figure Halford just likes getting his balls licked. Is that it?
It's an ignorant take on the modern music scene and calling something so blatantly gimmicky unique is like calling Mumford and Sons the torchbearers of American folk music because they use a banjo.

Liking things is fine.
__________________
Studies show that when a given norm is changed in the face of the unchanging, the remaining contradictions will parallel the truth.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #14679 (permalink)
Just Keep Swimming...
 
Plankton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: See signature...
Posts: 7,766
Default

Yeah, **** those old dudes.

Oh, wait...
__________________
See location...
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:30 PM   #14680 (permalink)
one-balled nipple jockey
 
OccultHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dirty Souf Biatch
Posts: 22,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I think that's true for a lot of people, but it really depends on what kind of a music listener you are. If a big part of your listening experience is nerding out on underground (or not) stuff that's new to you, I think that that sticks with you as you age. If you're just a casual music listener, that hunt is unnecessary once you have your favourites in line, so that person would be more prone to a fixed taste once they reach a certain age. Sort of like how the kind of person who turns into a Republican simply because they're getting older was probably never really invested in politics to begin with.
I think it’s also a physical brain development thing that’s related to what Chomsky taught us about there being a window of time to being a native speaker of a language or just old dog new tricks.


I don’t know anyone irl my age that follows and enjoys new music like I do. It does make me think they never really loved music in the first place. Not sure.
__________________

2016 2017 2018 2019 2020

Member of the Year & Journal of the Year Champion

Behold the Writing of THE LEGEND:

https://www.musicbanter.com/members-...p-lighter.html

OccultHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2024 Advameg, Inc.