Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #751 (permalink)
NSW
I am in your sway
 
NSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tejas
Posts: 2,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Yeah I know I remember reading something somewhere a while ago that actually came from a Texan politician's mouth about how there are different kinds of rape, such as "wanted rape," where the girl claims she was raped but actually wanted it. What the ****? I'm pretty sure I read this somewhere at some point and was shocked and appalled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I can't remember the specifics now, but I feel you're right. Something about different degrees of rape, which I'm sure included something along the lines of almost justifiable rape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
I remember that. Sick stuff.
Y'all are probably thinking of Todd Akin, the guy who was spewing some crap about "legitimate rape". However, he is a Senator from Missouri, not Texas.

Yeah, Texas politicians promote a lot of backwards thinking, but dont forget about people like Wendy Davis, who for 12 hours filibustered the passing of a law that would have virtually removed women's rights to choose to have an abortion.

There are a lot of backwards thinkers by the standards of many people on these boards, but there are plenty of forward thinkers too.

In conclusion, I would like to say Texas rocks.

The end.
__________________
Formerly user nonsubmissivewife, but no longer a wife and never was submissive. Pretty sure those two things have nothing to do with each other though.
NSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #752 (permalink)
we are stardust
 
Astronomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsubmissivewife View Post
Y'all are probably thinking of Todd Akin, the guy who was spewing some crap about "legitimate rape". However, he is a Senator from Missouri, not Texas.

Yeah, Texas politicians promote a lot of backwards thinking, but dont forget about people like Wendy Davis, who for 12 hours filibustered the passing of a law that would have virtually removed women's rights to choose to have an abortion.

There are a lot of backwards thinkers by the standards of many people on these boards, but there are plenty of forward thinkers too.

In conclusion, I would like to say Texas rocks.

The end.
My bad, NSW, I'm not really up with what's happening in US politics!

I would agree that a lot of awesomeness has come from Texas Some places just get a bad rap, and a load of stereotypes attached to them.

Sorta like how I ride a kangaroo to work and live in the outback.
__________________
Astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #753 (permalink)
The Music Guru.
 
Burning Down's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Beyond the Wall
Posts: 4,731
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
My bad, NSW, I'm not really up with what's happening in US politics!

I would agree that a lot of awesomeness has come from Texas Some places just get a bad rap, and a load of stereotypes attached to them.

Sorta like how I ride a kangaroo to work and live in the outback.
Like how I supposedly live in an igloo, drive a snowmobile, and wear a parka year round.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #754 (permalink)
we are stardust
 
Astronomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,863
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
Like how I supposedly live in an igloo, drive a snowmobile, and wear a parka year round.
Are you saying you don't put maple syrup on everything as well?
__________________
Astronomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #755 (permalink)
Killed Laura Palmer
 
ThePhanastasio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ashland, KY
Posts: 1,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
Like how I supposedly live in an igloo, drive a snowmobile, and wear a parka year round.
You don't live in an igloo? So you live in an ice castle?
__________________

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #756 (permalink)
Quiet Man in the Corner
 
CanwllCorfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pocono Mountains
Posts: 2,452
Default

Wow I can't believe these news stories.
__________________
Your eyes were never yet let in to see the majesty and riches of the mind, but dwell in darkness; for your God is blind.

CanwllCorfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:08 AM   #757 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsubmissivewife View Post
Y'all are probably thinking of Todd Akin, the guy who was spewing some crap about "legitimate rape". However, he is a Senator from Missouri, not Texas.

Yeah, Texas politicians promote a lot of backwards thinking, but dont forget about people like Wendy Davis, who for 12 hours filibustered the passing of a law that would have virtually removed women's rights to choose to have an abortion.

There are a lot of backwards thinkers by the standards of many people on these boards, but there are plenty of forward thinkers too.

In conclusion, I would like to say Texas rocks.

The end.
All well and good what she did but your Governor is still trying to push forward a similar version of that bill. Good ole Rick Perry.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #758 (permalink)
Partying on the inside
 
Freebase Dali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
All well and good what she did but your Governor is still trying to push forward a similar version of that bill. Good ole Rick Perry.
Rick Perry is not Texas. And Texas is not Rick Perry.
__________________
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:58 AM   #759 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebase Dali View Post
Rick Perry is not Texas. And Texas is not Rick Perry.
Rick Perry represents Texas while he is in office and Texas has way more disturbing habits besides him. I vaguely recall them wanting to get rid of school textbooks dealing with some issue. If I was at home, I would have provided a more detailed account of that issue.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:08 AM   #760 (permalink)
Partying on the inside
 
Freebase Dali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Rick Perry represents Texas while he is in office and Texas has way more disturbing habits besides him. I vaguely recall them wanting to get rid of school textbooks dealing with some issue. If I was at home, I would have provided a more detailed account of that issue.
I think that's unfair to the people of Texas, honestly. You're assuming that every Perry perspective is therefore the perspective of the state as a whole.
Bobby Jindal represents my state, and I can hardly name a single point I agree with him on, and I didn't even vote him in to office. He represents a state only insofar as he secured a vote from enough people, and we all know how marketing works in politics. It has very little to do with the soul of the voters when they make it into office, least of all the soul of the entire state.

I just think if you're going to generalize, at least tone down the generalization to the person, and not some arbitrary assumption that everyone supports his every endeavor.
Like I said. Texas isn't Perry, and Perry isn't Texas. Just like Louisiana isn't Jindal, and Jindal is most certainly not Louisiana. Even our conservatives hate Jindal. You gotta dig deeper than the shallow grave you're trying to bury an entire state in, bro.
__________________
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.