Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Physical punishment aganist children. Acceptable or Unacceptable?
Acceptable 50 56.82%
Unacceptable 38 43.18%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #391 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
Light-medium spanking. Man... The way you think about this scares me.
So, did your mother and grandmother got beaten?

Dude, in all seriousness, I think you're a brilliant guy. I really do.
And I know you want the best for everyone. But trust me on this, think twice about getting kids, because the way you will treat them eventually won't be much of a choice.
You're ****ed up for life when it comes to this. And I'm not trying to be disrespectful. It's in no way your fault.
But this is just the way things go. Exceptions are very, very, VERY rare.
This comes off as incredibly douchey to me. Basically telling someone to not have children because their parents or grandparents beat them. The compliment at the beginning masks it a little bit, but you are really just telling him there is like a 1% chance he won't beat his kids. Dickhead comment in my opinion.


I will spank my children light-medium, which is basically enough for it to just sting a little bit and get the point across. I got spanked, never beaten or hit with anything else, and it was very effective. I feel like the best way to teach a kid morals is by punishment and I don't think physical punishment is bad at all. I think it can definitely be excessive, and I think the hot sauce example is definitely excessive. But light spanking I have absolutely no problem with and I don't see it as abusive or anything like that.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #392 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict
 
s_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,169
Default

Douchey as it may be, I'm really worried this will indeed happen.
I'm not saying this to hurt DJChameleon in any way. It's just my opinion on being physically abused and having kids. I'm not picking on him or something.
I'd just advise him not to have kids as chances are pretty big he will hit (abuse) them too.
I definitely hope I'm wrong. But as I said, you may want to google this. It's a well known thing.
__________________
Click here to see my collection
s_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:45 PM   #393 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict
 
s_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,169
Default

I should probably point out I never got punished and I was a pretty impossible kid from age 4 to... 14 or so. So it's not like my parents had an easy son.
Still I think I behave pretty well now. It's just not neccesary to physically discipline anyone in my opinion. It's... well... weak.
__________________
Click here to see my collection
s_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #394 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
I should probably point out I never got punished and I was a pretty impossible kid from age 4 to... 14 or so.
And I did get punished, and I was a good kid.

So there you go.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #395 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict
 
s_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,169
Default

I was just talking about moral here .
And I pointed out I wasn't a good kid to show that physical punishment isn't needed to turn an impossible kid into a good kid. I'm pretty much the best example you can get for that.
__________________
Click here to see my collection
s_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #396 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
Douchey as it may be, I'm really worried this will indeed happen.
I'm not saying this to hurt DJChameleon in any way. It's just my opinion on being physically abused and having kids. I'm not picking on him or something.
I'd just advise him not to have kids as chances are pretty big he will hit (abuse) them too.
I definitely hope I'm wrong. But as I said, you may want to google this. It's a well known thing.
I know you aren't trying to hurt him or picking on him. Not that he would listen to anyone on MB on whether or not to have children, but I'd advise dj to do the opposite of what you suggest. I think the people who were abused as children and abuse their own kids are generally people who aren't really smart in terms or realizing the wrongness of the abuse and analyzing better ways to handle things. It's people who don't know anything else, they don't know better. I think dj does know right from wrong and if he had kids could make a solid decision on whether or not to abuse them. I think you are WAY over exaggerating things.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #397 (permalink)
( ̄ー ̄)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,258
Default

*Personal anecdote here*

therefore

*Generalized conclusion here*
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #398 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
*Personal anecdote here*

therefore

*Generalized conclusion here*
yeah that's why I said sorry for bringing up the dead horse but I really wanted to discuss the situation about Hot Saucing and what people thought about it.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #399 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict
 
s_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
I'd advise dj to do the opposite of what you suggest.


Allright. DJ has both our opinions, it's up to him in the end .
I learned (I actually studied children's psycology as a part of my logopedic study) and experienced things don't work like you say, you obviously experienced the opposite.
I can't agree with you because I know better, you can't agree with me because you know better .

Eitherway, I've made my point.
I just want to say that DJChameleon was just a reason to talk about this, as a part of this thread. I realise it may look like I was trying to change the way he leads his life and maybe that's a wrong of me. I'm sorry .
Everyone should do what they think is the right thing. I'm just scared of a lot of things going wrong in this world. Pessimistic? Yeah. Hugely.
__________________
Click here to see my collection
s_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:01 PM   #400 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
Allright. DJ has both our opinions, it's up to him in the end .
I learned (I actually studied children's psycology as a part of my logopedic study) and experienced things don't work like you say, you obviously experienced the opposite.
I can't agree with you because I know better, you can't agree with me because you know better .

Eitherway, I've made my point.
I just want to say that DJChameleon was just a reason to talk about this, as a part of this thread. I realise it may look like I was trying to change the way he leads his life and maybe that's a wrong of me. I'm sorry .
Everyone should do what they think is the right thing. I'm just scared of a lot of things going wrong in this world. Pessimistic? Yeah. Hugely.
I certainly disagree with your views on spanking and physical discipline. I feel like you live in a bit of a happy-fairytale land sometimes. You can't always sit down with a 4 year old and explain something and have them listen. After the 10th "hunnie, don't do that again ok? That's bad" something has to change in the parents approach.

But basically flat out telling someone: "You were abused as a kid. You shouldn't have kids. You will almost certainly physically abuse them and be a bad parent...but good luck!!" is just being a shithead.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.