Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Physical punishment aganist children. Acceptable or Unacceptable?
Acceptable 50 56.82%
Unacceptable 38 43.18%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #571 (permalink)
Facilitator
 
VEGANGELICA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where people kill 30 million pigs per year
Posts: 1,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
And if you say not to do something because it's dangerous and they go ahead and do it anyway I don't really see how moving them out of the way and saying not to do it again is really that much of a deterrent.
And if you slap the child's hand and the child still persists in doing the dangerous behavior again, then what are you going to do? Punch her??

Young children (under 3, for example) *do* need to be supervised very closely to prevent them from hurting themselves, and this means you hover and remove them from dangerous locations, or remove the dangers (best option).

Little ones don't understand dangers as well as adults do. Rather than using pain and startling children to try to cause greater fear of dangers, just pick up the child or distract him away from the danger, while explaining what the danger is and saying "No" firmly. Repeat this as often as necessary. Eventually kids grow up and learn not to do obvious dangerous stuff...without ever having to be swatted.

Exactly what are these dangerous situations from which you need to protect children?

Worried about kids touching the stove? Use the back burners; put safety protectors on the dials; use a safety gate to keep the child out of the kitchen while cooking. Worried about the kids running into the street? Accompany them outside; hold their hands while on the sidewalk so they don't dart into the street. Want the child to stay away from the stairs to avoid falls? Close the door to the stairwell; install a solid safety gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
What's really crazy is that he is a family law judge who among other matters presides over child abuse cases. I'm not entirely clear as to whether or not the adult female in the video, who joins in beating the girl, is her mother - but regardless, she's just as culpable as he is. What a pathetic duo.
What I thought was awful, too, Ribbons, was the *reason* the judge and wife were punishing their 16-year-old daughter so violently: she had downloaded something illegally on the computer. Half of MusicBanter would be subjected to the belt, if that judge had his way!

More seriously, the hitting of a child is *always* worse than any behavior I've ever seen kids do that make adults feel "justified" in spanking/hitting them.

Is the child crying or fussing? Spanking is worse than that.

Did the child lie? Hitting someone is worse than lying.

Did the child use a foul word? Again, hitting is worse.

Did the child call the parent a mean name, showing "disrespect?" Hitting is worse than mean names.

Basically I think spanking kids just comes down to adults being bullies because they are bigger and they can get away with it, and they are impatient. I think some parents believe they are supposed to be dominant over their kids and never have their authority questioned. Treating their children respectfully is beneath them, so they resort to inflicting pain.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan:
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:00 PM   #572 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
And if you slap the child's hand and the child still persists in doing the dangerous behavior again, then what are you going to do? Punch her??

Young children (under 3, for example) *do* need to be supervised very closely to prevent them from hurting themselves, and this means you hover and remove them from dangerous locations, or remove the dangers (best option).

Little ones don't understand dangers as well as adults do. Rather than using pain and startling children to try to cause greater fear of dangers, just pick up the child or distract him away from the danger, while explaining what the danger is and saying "No" firmly. Repeat this as often as necessary. Eventually kids grow up and learn not to do obvious dangerous stuff...without ever having to be swatted.

Exactly what are these dangerous situations from which you need to protect children?

Worried about kids touching the stove? Use the back burners; put safety protectors on the dials; use a safety gate to keep the child out of the kitchen while cooking. Worried about the kids running into the street? Accompany them outside; hold their hands while on the sidewalk so they don't dart into the street. Want the child to stay away from the stairs to avoid falls? Close the door to the stairwell; install a solid safety gate.
I wasn't talking about children that young. I agree with you children that young can be moved away or protected against that sort of thing. I was thinking of children aged maybe 5 to 9 years old who are capable of reasoning and still do dangerous things despite being told not to.

I can only remember being slapped a couple of times as a kid, both between the ages that I mentioned. Once for messing around on a busy road when I persistently ignored my mothers warnings and once for playing with a box of matches I found in an alleyway outside the house. Both times I knew I was wrong, both times I was told I would be slapped if I did anything that dangerous, yet I did them.

I didn't do it again after that. It wasn't because it hurt, it wasn't because I was psychologically traumatised. It was because I knew that I was wrong and ashamed that I'd let my parents down for them to have to go to those lengths to get the message across to me.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #573 (permalink)
I sleep in your hat
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne, Vic. Aus.
Posts: 1,670
Default

Not a big fan of smacking. Parents who use it may justify it to themselves but from what I've seen it is not so much a form of controlled discipline as the parent losing their **** and taking it out on the kid.
Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:46 AM   #574 (permalink)
Nae wains, Great Danes.
 
FETCHER.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Where how means why.
Posts: 3,412
Default

My dad skelped my arse when I was much younger and if anything it made me realise not to do **** like that again, I respected his authority and never stepped out of line in that way again. Anytime my dad skelped me he had very good reason, if that's considered bad parenting, then you can go **** yourself. My dad is the best.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by butthead aka 216 View Post
i havent i refuse to in fact. it triggers my ptsd from yrs ago when i thought my ex's anal beads were those edible candy necklaces
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Rez View Post
Keep it in your pants scottie.
FETCHER. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #575 (permalink)
Facilitator
 
VEGANGELICA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where people kill 30 million pigs per year
Posts: 1,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I didn't do it again after that. It wasn't because it hurt, it wasn't because I was psychologically traumatised. It was because I knew that I was wrong and ashamed that I'd let my parents down for them to have to go to those lengths to get the message across to me.
This -- getting a child to understand emotionally why the behavior he chose was wrong and to wish not to disappoint his parents -- can be achieved without the parents' resorting to using physical methods.

Most children love their parents and want to please them on some level even though the desire for independence and freedom from rules kicks in at a young age. I feel that children's love and desire to please their parents is the basis of the efficacy of discipline methods. Threatening children physically is a harmful and unnecessarily severe way to achieve the goal of children's changing their behavior due to their guilt over disappointing the parents.

Making sure parents have an "arsenal" of graded discipline methods to use that never resort to physical ones is a good way to help parents learn to avoid leaping to spanking because they are at their wit's end.

If kids don't love their parents and don't wish to please them at all, then that *would* be a very difficult situation for parents...but hitting such children will only make discipline problems worse by causing the children to hate the parents. If my dad had smacked me more than once, I probably would have wanted to slit his throat or stab him in his sleep. Luckily, he loved me enough not to physically hurt me again, and I loved him enough to forgive him.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan:
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 AM   #576 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
This -- getting a child to understand emotionally why the behavior he chose was wrong and to wish not to disappoint his parents -- can be achieved without the parents' resorting to using physical methods.
I could have sworn I just said in my case that it did.
Only a couple of times, but it still did.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #577 (permalink)
Facilitator
 
VEGANGELICA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where people kill 30 million pigs per year
Posts: 1,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I could have sworn I just said in my case that it did.
Only a couple of times, but it still did.
Yes, you said that your parents' slapping you got through to you and made you feel ashamed that you had disappointed them.

My point was that parents can get through to kids without slapping them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan:
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:40 AM   #578 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

This meta-study surfaced and so I thought I'd reflog this dead horse / bump this old thing.

If you are interested in the subject at all, it's an interesting read:

Risks of Harm from Spanking Confirmed by Analysis of Five Decades of Research | UT News | The University of Texas at Austin
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:55 AM   #579 (permalink)
Put The Cult In Culture
 
Lucem Ferre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,627
Default

I used to support beating the living **** out of kids until my sister showed how nice her kids are with out hitting them at all.
Lucem Ferre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:19 AM   #580 (permalink)
Acattin Sane
 
Fluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 8,171
Default

I used to get it all the time as a kid, belts and slippers etc, it did keep me from misbehaving but also made me scared of my dad and I don't want my child to feel like that toward me.

Probably go with no but I think there's a line, though many would probably argue the only way to not cross it is to not hit your kids at all which is fair enough.
__________________
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.