Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 09:59 PM   #101 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz View Post
As stated before, Atheists base everything they do off facts. They say God doesn't exist because there's no evidence of his existence.
I think this is kind of on the side, but is there evidence for his existence? Also, what made you have this faith? There must've been something that made you believe, which in and of itself would be your "evidence."

Quote:
But to say God doesn't exist, you have to be sure of it right? That means you need facts to support his non-existance, and we all know atheists and facts are a match made in heaven (or whatever atheists consider a utopia)
I guess this doesn't really apply to me because I don't claim to know things that can't be known definitively.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #102 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
midnight rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
I'm not going to do this point for point thing as apparently it annoys many people. Religion can lay no claims to morality though; it existed before the advent of monotheism. You can't look at a murderer and go "well he was an atheist" and leave it at that. There were other ideas operative there that drove him to murder, be they greed or envy. I'm so sick of Evangelicals looking at secularists and claiming them to be immoral. I've never heard of a murder driven by skeptical inquiry. I have however heard of the crusades.

Secondly your arguments are all some of the most arrogant I've heard. Not only all they are faith based and anecdotal, as opposed to fact based but they're vague and can be applied to anything.
All I'm saying about Christianity is that it guides people down the right path, lots of people who could've done very bad things have chosen faith instead (I should know, I've talked to people who were thinking suicidally). People who don't have faith obviously won't use religion as justification, as their is no set principles for non-believing
__________________
last.fm
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #103 (permalink)
Crazyyyyyy Train
 
Celladorina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz View Post

And where's all the Christians on these boards?
I am Catholic, but I don't believe I need to justify my faith to anybody. If you believe in something, people should not be able to persecute you because of it. I am comfortable letting others know that I have faith in God, it's actually a really wonderful thing from my perspective as you don't feel so alone in the world. Ethan darling, the world can be a lonely place. But its great that you can formulate your own opinions on here without losing the plot. Some people on here are useless at getting points across.
Celladorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:02 PM   #104 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz View Post
All I'm saying about Christianity is that it guides people down the right path, lots of people who could've done very bad things have chosen faith instead (I should know, I've talked to people who were thinking suicidally). People who don't have faith obviously won't use religion as justification, as their is no set principles for non-believing
But it goes two ways, you must realize that. Not everyone who chooses Christianity goes down the right path. I know a lot of Christians who judge endlessly, and do very negative things, especially to "non-believers." What you're saying about religion saving people can happen with any belief system, but it can always go more then one way.

Also, religion is the biggest cause of war in history if I'm not mistaken.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #105 (permalink)
****ER OF HOLES
 
Terrible Lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Butt****, Nebraska
Posts: 1,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
But it goes two ways, you must realize that. Not everyone who chooses Christianity goes down the right path. I know a lot of Christians who judge endlessly, and do very negative things, especially to "non-believers." What you're saying about religion saving people can happen with any belief system, but it can always go more then one way.

Also, religion is the biggest cause of war in history if I'm not mistaken.
No not the biggest, but nonetheless many, many have died uselessly because of it.
__________________
“YOU ARE SCUM SLUT.”
-John Martyn
Terrible Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #106 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz View Post
All I'm saying about Christianity is that it guides people down the right path, lots of people who could've done very bad things have chosen faith instead (I should know, I've talked to people who were thinking suicidally). People who don't have faith obviously won't use religion as justification, as their is no set principles for non-believing
That isn't all you're saying. You're also making arrogant and bigoted remarks in regards to nonbelievers. I do love have you've changed you're tune though. I'd still be interested to hear you disprove that you're not a reincarnate personality though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:21 PM   #107 (permalink)
Freeskier
 
jibber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...
Posts: 1,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz View Post
All I'm saying about Christianity is that it guides people down the right path, lots of people who could've done very bad things have chosen faith instead (I should know, I've talked to people who were thinking suicidally). People who don't have faith obviously won't use religion as justification, as their is no set principles for non-believing
This I think is the most off-putting aspect to Christianity for me. It's that holier-than-thou attitude that a lot of Christians have that they somehow have better morals, better judgement, and as an extension are better people than me because I don't believe in God.

I know TONS of people who proclaim to be devout christians, and they are some of the most dishonest, mean-spirited destructive people I've ever come into contact with. Christianity doesn't "save" people. I would not be a better person if I were a Christian, I would not be better off, I would not have an easier life.

I'd like you to clarify what you mean by "there is no set principles for non-believing." The way I understand it, you think that people who don't believe in God lack a system of principals and morals. I'm really tempted to go off on that but I'll give you a chance to clarify before I do.
__________________
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways


Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER
jibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #108 (permalink)
Crazyyyyyy Train
 
Celladorina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
This I think is the most off-putting aspect to Christianity for me. It's that holier-than-thou attitude that a lot of Christians have that they somehow have better morals, better judgement, and as an extension are better people than me because I don't believe in God.

I know TONS of people who proclaim to be devout christians, and they are some of the most dishonest, mean-spirited destructive people I've ever come into contact with. Christianity doesn't "save" people. I would not be a better person if I were a Christian, I would not be better off, I would not have an easier life.

I'd like you to clarify what you mean by "there is no set principles for non-believing." The way I understand it, you think that people who don't believe in God lack a system of principals and morals. I'm really tempted to go off on that but I'll give you a chance to clarify before I do.
To continue your point Jibber, I will add that it is well known that people who are unreligious often still hold morals and principles very highly, in regards to living life without seeming completely selfish, having dignity and respect for yourself and others, etc. Morals are a major aspect of Christianity, but are often abused and used to make others feel unworthy and always in debt to their faith. It's about finding middle ground, and being influenced from wise role models to decide how you want to live your life and treat others. Paris Hilton is not a good example of this. Ha.
Celladorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #109 (permalink)
Freeskier
 
jibber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Istanbul was Constantinople now it's Istanbul not Constantinople...
Posts: 1,536
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
To continue your point Jibber, I will add that it is well known that people who are unreligious often still hold morals and principles very highly, in regards to living life without seeming completely selfish, having dignity and respect for yourself and others, etc. Morals are a major aspect of Christianity, but are often abused and used to make others feel unworthy and always in debt to their faith. It's about finding middle ground, and being influenced from wise role models to decide how you want to live your life and treat others. Paris Hilton is not a good example of this. Ha.
Exactly, but I've run into too many christians who honestly believe that non-christians are inherently immoral because they do not have God guiding them.

I think spirituality and religion can be a good thing, it's just not something I've ever been exposed to, or ever felt the need for. What someone believes is their own business, it's just when I get fed a long tirade about how empty my life is and how deprived I am and how I'm going to go to hell for not accepting Jesus as my lord and savior that I get a bit annoyed.
__________________
What you've done becomes the judge of what you're going to do -- especially in other people's minds. When you're traveling, you are what you are right there and then. People don't have your past to hold against you. No yesterdays on the road.
William Least Heat Moon, Blue Highways


Your toughest competitor lives in your head. Some days his name is fear, or pain, or gravity. Stomp his ass.

HOOKED ON THE WHITE POWDER
jibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:50 PM   #110 (permalink)
****ER OF HOLES
 
Terrible Lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Butt****, Nebraska
Posts: 1,215
Default

The Religion debate, the God debate whatever. It will never end, we're all running around in one pig pen pushing eachother into the mud only to slide and topple into it ourselves. The same points, the same outrages, will we ever shut the **** up and look around for once?
__________________
“YOU ARE SCUM SLUT.”
-John Martyn
Terrible Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.