Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2009, 09:08 PM   #81 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz View Post
It's not evidence, it's justification for my beliefs

You're right, there's no burden, it is a voluntary discussion. But it is a sincere question that begs an answer from all atheists

Though since you're agnostic, I suppose that changes my stance a bit
It's an arrogant question to be posed by a theist since a theist can offer no proof for the existence of god. Saying "my faith tells me it's correct" is a complete cop out because you're claiming belief in magical things, that I would consider highly improbable almost to the point of impossibility, based only on the grounds that you believe it to be true. I'm not saying you don't have the right to believe that however I have the right to say it's unfounded (which it is.) So how about before you attack anyone for pretending to be an enlightened adolescent charlatan you acknowledge the fact that your argument is ultimately an unprovable and baseless one whereas the belief in secular values, theories and the scientific process isn't.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #82 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz View Post
The general sense of God. I mean THE God, not A God. As in, the Bible's sense of God
that doesn't help, because your still referring to something very ambiguous.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #83 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

I don't really think he's ambiguous. He's referring to the biblical/literal God of Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #84 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
midnight rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
It's an arrogant question to be posed by a theist since a theist can offer no proof for the existence of god. Saying "my faith tells me it's correct" is a complete cop out because you're claiming belief in magical things, that I would consider highly improbable almost to the point of impossibility, based only on the grounds that you believe it to be true. I'm not saying you don't have the right to believe that however I have the right to say it's unfounded (which it is.) So how about before you attack anyone for pretending to be an enlightened adolescent charlatan you acknowledge the fact that your argument is ultimately an unprovable and baseless one whereas the belief in secular values, theories and the scientific process isn't.
Well, it's the old proverb: "If you're going to talk the talk, you have to walk the walk."

Unlike atheists, I don't claim faith to be universal. Faith is a choice, fact isn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATCHMO View Post
that doesn't help, because your still referring to something very ambiguous.
I'm not sure what to say then :/

Just straight up, the existence of God or not I guess
__________________
last.fm
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #85 (permalink)
****ER OF HOLES
 
Terrible Lizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Butt****, Nebraska
Posts: 1,215
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz View Post

Just straight up, the existence of God or not I guess

There are more possible answers than you realize.
__________________
“YOU ARE SCUM SLUT.”
-John Martyn
Terrible Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #86 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy jack View Post
I don't really think he's ambiguous. He's referring to the biblical/literal God of Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell.
well that's just phooey nonsense.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #87 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz View Post
Well, it's the old proverb: "If you're going to talk the talk, you have to walk the walk."

Unlike atheists, I don't claim faith to be universal. Faith is a choice, fact isn't
Then explain how a man can survive his own death. Explain how a man can build an boat and fit every species that exists now (evolution isn't real after all) and has become extinct in the past 5000 years on this boat in addition to a family that only a short less than 5000 years later spawned enough to create billions of descendants. Explain how this same man could live well past his mid-hundreds. Explain how the Earth is only 6000 years old. Explain every claim in the Bible that goes against what we know about how the universe, and more specifically the planet earth, operates. Why don't you prove to me, either empirically or logically, the existence of god and then explain to me why this all powerful being would have any interest in the human race and why he would want to punish them based on trite issues that he has deemed "moral or immoral." Maybe once you can do this I'll stop treating the views of Christians as such a joke.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #88 (permalink)
;)
 
cardboard adolescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: CA
Posts: 3,502
Default

Can't we all just agree to ignore the ridiculous parts of the Bible? Obviously the parts that are true are the parts that speak to you. How's this for a definition of God: "God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him" (1 Jn 4:16)

it's all about reading between the lines. look past the extravagances that are there to pull you in and see where they're pulling you.
cardboard adolescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #89 (permalink)
isfckingdead
 
sleepy jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 18,969
Default

The problem with that though is when you ignore the ridiculous parts of the Bible you're largely ignoring the systematic religious side of it; which is all I've ever had a problem with.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by METALLICA89 View Post
Ive seen you on muiltipul forums saying Metallica and slayer are the worst **** you kid go suck your **** while you listen to your ****ing emo **** I bet you do listen to emo music
sleepy jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:28 PM   #90 (permalink)
Al Dente
 
SATCHMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard adolescent View Post
look past the extravagances that are there to pull you in and see where they're pulling you.
nice.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord
And if you're getting bored then feel free to go give Eddie Vedder a handjob.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.