Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #871 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Thom Yorke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
I think it is personally more inflicted by the parents but studies obviously say different. Still it would interesting to know how those studies managed to take society out of the picture as I believe society is a huge influence on human behaviour.
CTV Toronto - Toronto parents to raise child without revealing gender - CTV News

I'm sure it's been done before, but I remember this from not too long back. Not really a study though. Should be interesting to follow.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #872 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
Why the doubt? Do you think the CDC is somehow biased against homosexuals? Do you think the study is somehow skewed? Because so far no one has presented alternative figures, and it strikes me as silly to just discount the only ones presented out of hand.
What are you talking about? Your link was only about gay men, not all homosexuals. Here's what the CDC has to say about lesbians and HIV. Some highlights:

Quote:
To date, there are no confirmed cases of female-to-female sexual transmission of HIV in the United States database (K. McDavid, CDC, oral communication, March 2005).
Quote:
HIV-infected women whose only initially reported risk factor is sex with women are given high priority for follow-up investigation. As of December 2004, none of these investigations had confirmed female-to-female HIV transmission, either because other risk factors were later identified or because some women declined to be interviewed.
Quote:
A study of more than 1 million female blood donors found no HIV-infected women whose only risk factor was sex with women.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:17 AM   #873 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
Largely because I don't think its apt to label denying homosexuals the right to marry one another discrimination. I'm not saying they can't get married because their gay, but because two gays can't fulfill the functions of marriage. Further, since I'm not advocate anything similar to what, say, Anita Bryant advocated (LINK), it's a bit of a stretch to call me a homophobe. I think homosexuality is gross, sure, but I have never advocated criminalizing it.

Fair enough?
I can accept that it's your position, but I can't agree with it. You've defined marriage in a way which is not really congruent with practice. In order to marry, you would require from gay couples that they can reproduce, yet we do not require heterosexual marriages to produce children or even be able to. If we had, I could've seen your point, but we don't - and I don't feel like society should redefine marriage to require reproduction.

You say you believe in this because it benefits society, but I believe marriage benefits society even if it doesn't produce children. It reduces promiscuity and I'm sure many gay marriages can create families by parenting adoptees and I believe long term monogamous relationships are a good way to increase long term happiness. For example, noone wants to grow old alone. I also believe that tolerance and acceptance of different races, sexualities and other things that make us different is good for society and also promotes happiness. Happiness is good because to me, it's what I want from society and I believe happy people are f.ex more productive and less criminal.
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:57 AM   #874 (permalink)
Crazyyyyyy Train
 
Celladorina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,832
Default

I just watched Brokeback Mountain again and I have to say, it was so incredibly beautiful. Two lost souls find each other and because of the incredible homophobia of the 60's they could never have each other. So sad, particularly when Jack was beaten to death after being figured out as gay. I hope that one day soon we all have great acceptance of people who love each other, no matter whether they are gay or straight.
Celladorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:04 AM   #875 (permalink)
NSW
I am in your sway
 
NSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tejas
Posts: 2,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
I just watched Brokeback Mountain again and I have to say, it was so incredibly beautiful. Two lost souls find each other and because of the incredible homophobia of the 60's they could never have each other. So sad, particularly when Jack was beaten to death after being figured out as gay. I hope that one day soon we all have great acceptance of people who love each other, no matter whether they are gay or straight.
I hear what you're saying, and I agree...but way to spoil the end of the movie!
__________________
Formerly user nonsubmissivewife, but no longer a wife and never was submissive. Pretty sure those two things have nothing to do with each other though.
NSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:21 AM   #876 (permalink)
Crazyyyyyy Train
 
Celladorina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,832
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsubmissivewife View Post
I hear what you're saying, and I agree...but way to spoil the end of the movie!
Shoot sorry hun! I assumed since it's old most people would have seen it.

I'll get Urban to spank me for my sins.
Celladorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #877 (permalink)
Luciferian
 
SIRIUSB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
I'm not sure what you mean?
I'm talking about the gray area of sexual attraction . . . when is it appropriate to have thoughts of a sexual kind?

In other words . . . at what age does having sexual thoughts cross the line?
Is it an age thing?
A physical thing?
A societal thing?
SIRIUSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #878 (permalink)
Luciferian
 
SIRIUSB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
I can accept that it's your position, but I can't agree with it. You've defined marriage in a way which is not really congruent with practice. In order to marry, you would require from gay couples that they can reproduce, yet we do not require heterosexual marriages to produce children or even be able to. If we had, I could've seen your point, but we don't - and I don't feel like society should redefine marriage to require reproduction.

You say you believe in this because it benefits society, but I believe marriage benefits society even if it doesn't produce children. It reduces promiscuity and I'm sure many gay marriages can create families by parenting adoptees and I believe long term monogamous relationships are a good way to increase long term happiness. For example, noone wants to grow old alone. I also believe that tolerance and acceptance of different races, sexualities and other things that make us different is good for society and also promotes happiness. Happiness is good because to me, it's what I want from society and I believe happy people are f.ex more productive and less criminal.
To comment on this 'marriage' thing . . . all the legal poop aside, there is no piece of paper that can bind or hold any two people together.
And to an extent there shouldn't be.
SIRIUSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #879 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRIUSB View Post
To comment on this 'marriage' thing . . . all the legal poop aside, there is no piece of paper that can bind or hold any two people together.
And to an extent there shouldn't be.
the legal poop that you are tossing aside is one of the main reasons homosexuals want to be able to be recognized as a married couple. The benefits of being married such as being on your partners health insurance, being able to even be by your partner's side when they have an emergency at the hospital. The nurses will straight up turn you away because you aren't family and you aren't married. The tax benefit of being about to file jointly.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #880 (permalink)
Luciferian
 
SIRIUSB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
the legal poop that you are tossing aside is one of the main reasons homosexuals want to be able to be recognized as a married couple. The benefits of being married such as being on your partners health insurance, being able to even be by your partner's side when they have an emergency at the hospital. The nurses will straight up turn you away because you aren't family and you aren't married. The tax benefit of being about to file jointly.
I suppose you're right . . . what a mess! I can understand the frustration involved. It's amazing how Equal Rights are not extended to 'everyone'.
SIRIUSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.