Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 05:29 AM   #71 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
bungalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hot-lanta
Posts: 3,140
Default

and as far as i can tell, zaqarbal's is the enlightened position on freedom of speech/expression since the late 1700s. maybe some of yall need to catch up?
bungalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:47 AM   #72 (permalink)
Atchin' Akai
 
right-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Unamerica
Posts: 8,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalow View Post
and as far as i can tell, zaqarbal's is the enlightened position on freedom of speech/expression since the late 1700s. maybe some of yall need to catch up?
Maybe yall need to live in the 21st century.
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:04 AM   #73 (permalink)
Shadow on the wall
 
Cheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 805
Default

Fark me! Just ban all forms of religion that way there'll be none of this bullshyte carry on
__________________
Two thousand years of misery, of torture in my name
Hypocrisy made paramount, paranoia the law
My name is called religion, sadistic, sacred whore
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:08 AM   #74 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
bungalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hot-lanta
Posts: 3,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
Maybe yall need to live in the 21st century.
check. what was i supposed to realize when i got here?
bungalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:16 AM   #75 (permalink)
Atchin' Akai
 
right-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Unamerica
Posts: 8,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalow View Post
check. what was i supposed to realize when i got here?
Dunno?
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:20 AM   #76 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
bungalow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hot-lanta
Posts: 3,140
Default

i thought maybe you were implying that i would see your point. dunno seems more appropriate.
bungalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #77 (permalink)
My home? Discabled,
 
Barnard17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 203
Default

Something along the lines of being a condescending smug git? If this really is about the Age of Reason and 18th century enlightenment you should read some Thomas Paine and consider what his opinion on the matter would be.

I don't see what this guy is doing as freedom of expression as the reason he's doing it is purely as an offence towards the freedom of religion for followers of Islam. Is Rev Jones exercising a protected right in treading on the rights of others? Being free from persecution is exactly that, be it from the Government or your fellow citizen. Labelling all Muslims as the perpetrators of 9/11 and burning their religious text is persecution. It's an attitude and speech that incites hatred towards Muslims and by proxy breeds racism against asians of Middle Eastern descent, whether they be Americans themselves or foreigners. Regardless of whether or not he's allowed to go ahead with it, the only reason he's doing so is because of the protracted media fuss it's generating. If people ignored him as the hicksville, inbred moron that he is it really wouldn't be causing anywhere near as much of a problem as it will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalow View Post
where is r/t and dr seuss' moral outrage at bible burnings that happen all the time,
Maybe if you cared that much you'd start a thread on it and then they could voice their opinions? Or would you rather every time any vague subject is brought up people list every single one of their moral indignations for the purposes of completeness?
__________________


Vita brevis,
Occasio praeceps

Last edited by Barnard17; 09-11-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Barnard17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #78 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalow View Post
uh...yes. why are all of you morally outraged all of the sudden? where is r/t and dr seuss' moral outrage at bible burnings that happen all the time, for no other purpose than shock value? because a handful of muslims across the world are threatening violence, this is suddenly an unconscionably offensive act, that you would go so far as to call a crime? what a bunch of ninnys you are.
I often wonder this because I think Bill's right. You're fully allowed to cover Mother Mary in elephant dung and call it art, but we're not allowed to portray Mohammad at all.

Personally I'm not bothered by any of this, but if you think Jones is well out of line, then your ire should be directed at the Media covering it. And protesters should go down to block cameras.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:28 AM   #79 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 71
Default

I'm also of the view that "I just happen to think that in this day and age, burning the Koran is a pretty dumb idea. No?".

My opinion is that this is not about what's 'right' or what's 'wrong'. It has nothing to do with 'freedom of expression' or any other philosophy. It's just purely for the sake of common sense! It would offend me the least regardless of which religious texts are burnt, but there are religious fanatics out there ready to pounce on even the slightest of opportunities in the name of 'reason' and 'god' to continue this 'holy war' against the west. And surely, putting people's lives in danger doesn't seem like a good idea. I do understand the importance of religious tolerance to be cultivated globally and that people should have a stronger mind so that such events doesn't warrant a violent response, but how would it in anyway change the terrorists?! Surely, there are better ways to get this point across.
__________________
I came to Berlin looking for love and success, but I decided to settle for sex, drugs and rock and roll.
rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #80 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Zaqarbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Seussicide View Post
To separate the two is to separate a man's ideas from himself. How can you possibly do that, when the ideas in which he believes shapes and constructs his very etiquette of thinking. What you believe and who are you are, are not two parallel dimensions but rather two dimensions that overlap one another. Your attempt at faux intellect is weak.
YouTube - Bill Maher & Ann Coulter debate

It seems they separate the two things, don't you think?
__________________
"Lullabies for adults / crossed by the years / carry the flower of disappointment / tattooed in their gloomy melodies."
Zaqarbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.