Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 02:00 PM   #141 (permalink)
Atchin' Akai
 
right-track's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Unamerica
Posts: 8,696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
If there is no purpose in life, then why live?
Because we have nothing better to do?
right-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #142 (permalink)
( ̄ー ̄)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
If there is no purpose in life, then why live?
Better question, if Christianity promises eternal salvation to the faithful, why not just kill yourself?
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #143 (permalink)
Registered Abuser
 
Wayfarer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
Better question, if Christianity promises eternal salvation to the faithful, why not just kill yourself?
Because suicide = blasphemy, which in turn = going to hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
If there is no purpose in life, then why live?
Why does life need a purpose? Life and death are two sides of the same purposeless coin. There's no more 'meaning' in death than there is in life.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #144 (permalink)
( ̄ー ̄)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,258
Default

Is there something in the Bible or the teachings of Jesus that explicitly condemns suicide? I'm just curious
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:53 PM   #145 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
Is there something in the Bible or the teachings of Jesus that explicitly condemns suicide? I'm just curious
It falls under the commandment "Thou shall not kill."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:18 PM   #146 (permalink)
( ̄ー ̄)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
It falls under the commandment "Thou shall not kill."
Does it though? I suppose you could get into a philosophical argument over that
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #147 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzov*en View Post
I never said atheism rejects religion. Do not put words into my mouth.
You implied it by using your rejection of religion as the only grounds for your athestic beliefs. Maybe if you logically explained your point of view, rather than lumping all religions together as a "cult," and calling them a "sack of sh*t", we would get a better understanding of where you're coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzov*en
LMAO look in the mirror before you call someone ignorant.
Making inferences based on your statements and arguments is clearly not ignorance on my part, but rather a lack of intelligent communication skills on yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzov*en
I know what my views are buddy. Do not try to tell me that it is apparent I do not know what I truly believe because I do.
Then by all means, enlighten us. Thus far, you have only used the rejection and denouncement of religion to convey your point of view. But in summation, all you've told us is what you DON'T believe. How about telling us what you DO believe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzov*em
I see no purpose to us being here. I do not believe in God. I am still alive because I enjoy living. It is that simple.
Is that joy that you get from life not reason enough to be here? It clearly is, as that is your reasoning for not ending your existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzov*en
Quit your bull**** and shut up.
No need to be hostile, just explain yourself more effectively and people will bug you less to elaborate. Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayfarer View Post
Life and death are two sides of the same purposeless coin. There's no more 'meaning' in death than there is in life.
Minus the "purposeless" part, I completely agree (life only has as much purpose as you choose to give it). I agree that life and death should have equal bearing on all of our actions and the decisions that we make. After all, death is just another part of life (albeit the end part).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
Is there something in the Bible or the teachings of Jesus that explicitly condemns suicide? I'm just curious
Nope. It's in that same category with masturbation and homosexuality. The Bible does not outright forbid it, but most infer that it is a sin.

*NOTE: The Bible's condemnation of a man laying with another man being an "abomination" is, in my opinion, a condemnation of seed (sperm) being lost and wasted, rather than a condemnation of the lifestyle of homosexuality (or sodomy or masturbation) itself.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:10 PM   #148 (permalink)
Anxiety Hangover
 
Buzzov*en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gardenia
Posts: 501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oojay View Post
You implied it by using your rejection of religion as the only grounds for your athestic beliefs. Maybe if you logically explained your point of view, rather than lumping all religions together as a "cult," and calling them a "sack of sh*t", we would get a better understanding of where you're coming from.
No I did not imply anything you ASSUMED that. I rather watch you fumble about with your assumptions right now and get a good laugh.

Quote:
Making inferences based on your statements and arguments is clearly not ignorance on my part, but rather a lack of intelligent communication skills on yours.
No, it is just you making assumptions which you have done many times.

Quote:
Then by all means, enlighten us. Thus far, you have only used the rejection and denouncement of religion to convey your point of view. But in summation, all you've told us is what you DON'T believe. How about telling us what you DO believe?
I believe there is no God. I believe we have no purpose in life.


Quote:
Is that joy that you get from life not reason enough to be here? It clearly is, as that is your reasoning for not ending your existence.
No it is not.

Quote:
No need to be hostile, just explain yourself more effectively and people will bug you less to elaborate. Simple as that.
I am hostile with ignorant people who make assumptions, but now I will just laugh at you.
Lets see your next worthless post.
__________________

Save the environment, shoot yourself in the head.
And when there is no hope I'll smoke some crack I'll shoot some dope.
Buzzov*en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:57 PM   #149 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
[MERIT]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 4,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzov*en View Post
No I did not imply anything you ASSUMED that. I rather watch you fumble about with your assumptions right now and get a good laugh.
Again, YOU'RE NOT SAYING ANYTHING. You're arguing semantics between assumptions and inferences, and trying to express what you believe by simply pointing out a few things that you DO NOT believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzov*en
No, it is just you making assumptions which you have done many times.
What assumptions have I, or anyone else on here for that matter, made about you that are wrong or have been disproven? None. You'd rather mask your insecuritiy about your own beliefs by insulting others and pretending to be amused by things which clearly reveal a discontinuity in your own chain of thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzov*n
I believe there is no God. I believe we have no purpose in life.
THANK YOU. A declarative statement, was that so hard? Please, for the sake of keeping in mind the overall idea and topic of the thread, elaborate a little. I accept your disbelief in a God. That is your opinion, it really needs no explanation. But why, in your opinion, do you believe we are here if we serve no purpose? Is life just a side effect of random atoms combining and creating everything as we know it? Are we all just a victims of the universe's serendipity?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzov*en
Lets see your next worthless post.
I apologize if my posts aren't as thought out as your calling all religions a "sack of sh*t." Hopefully some of your wisdom will rub off on the rest of us.
[MERIT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:15 PM   #150 (permalink)
( ̄ー ̄)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,258
Default

Buzzoven, you make the rest of us atheists look bad.
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.