Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #111 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by storymilo View Post
I may be wrong, but all I can recall from the end of Obama's speech that relates to Christianity are the pledge of allegiance ("one nation, under god") and him saying "god bless you" and "god bless america." This isn't excessive enough to make me feel as though he's straying too far from his post as a secular leader. And I don't think including "Christian-themed platitudes" is in any way an indication that our war is against islam. Just because he is not backing down from his faith doesn't mean that he's lashing out at another.
That's nice. It did anger me though. I have no problem with a president having whatever religious views he wants in his personal life, but I definitely have a problem with him injecting these views into something he is saying in an official capacity, especially when part of the speech he is making involves an attempt at saying that we are not involved in a religious war.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:49 PM   #112 (permalink)
Quiet Man in the Corner
 
CanwllCorfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Pocono Mountains
Posts: 2,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHCl3 View Post
My sentiments exactly.
I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
Yes, it's fine to feel content because a terrorist has been brought to justice (if you call murder justice), but blind, patriotic, nationalistic fervor is never a good thing
No of course not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsubmissivewife View Post
Does this mean we don't have to take our shoes off at the airport anymore?
Uhh.. actually we'll probably be more on edge now. They may want to exact some kind of revenge. Hopefully not, but you never know.
__________________
Your eyes were never yet let in to see the majesty and riches of the mind, but dwell in darkness; for your God is blind.

CanwllCorfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #113 (permalink)
( ̄ー ̄)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
He said "god bless america", you flip out. Why?
I'm not "flipping out", and though I realize that comment wasn't directed at me, I feel obligated to respond.

When the leading figure of the nation that I am a citizen of blatantly acts in opposition to the ideals expressly stated in the founding documents of this nation, namely, the establishment and free exercise clauses of the first damned amendment to the constitution, I have every right to feel discriminated against, and furthermore, I have every right to call him out on his garbage.

This isn't about attacking those who believe in God, this is about being part of a victimized minority group that is supposedly protected by the Constitution.
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:50 PM   #114 (permalink)
I Am Become Death Metal
 
captaincaptain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stankonia
Posts: 695
Default

The idiot half of America think Obama is a Muslim anyways.
captaincaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #115 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
I'm not "flipping out", and though I realize that comment wasn't directed at me, I feel obligated to respond.

When the leading figure of the nation that I am a citizen of blatantly acts in opposition to the ideals expressly stated in the founding documents of this nation, namely, the establishment and free exercise clauses of the first damned amendment to the constitution, I have every right to feel discriminated against, and furthermore, I have every right to call him out on his garbage.

This isn't about attacking those who believe in God, this is about being part of a victimized minority group that is supposedly protected by the Constitution.
That's never been how the Constitution has been interpreted. In fact, since Adams and Jefferson both spoke freely with deist language, I don't think it was ever intended.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:51 PM   #116 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincaptain View Post
You said their were a string of Christian comments. I was just trying to point out there were no string of comments. God Bless America is different to a Jewish person than a Hindu person, it means their specific God is blessing America, not the Christian God.
Er, no, it doesn't. There is no god called "God" in Hinduism.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #117 (permalink)
killedmyraindog
 
TheBig3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posts: 9,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Er, no, it doesn't. There is no god called "God" in Hinduism.
Well he didn't say Allah but they know God means Allah.
TheBig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #118 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Mr November's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
Alright. Here we go.

When you say that, guys like me wonder where the hell you're getting any of this? I mean there is a palpable rage coming from you about something that seems innocuous.

He said "god bless america", you flip out. Why?
Because the only reason he's saying that is to appease two groups:

1. Religious nut cases who will call him the devil if he doesn't spew the typical presidential religious slogans.

2. Retarded voters who romanticize the presidency and are only looking to get the disney experience out of the speeches. He would say anything if it increased his chances of getting the votes of these sorry idiots.

In the end, these slogans are left over from a time when the USA was taken over by a bunch of people who engraved christianity into every aspect of government representation. The USA pulls its constitutional queues from the Napoleonic French. Napoleon created a french republic and made it secular. The reason he made it secular was because before that the monarchy used religion to validate its power. By secularization he removed the power invested into the royalty by the roman catholic church and eventually was recognized by the pope as a legitimate power.

Long story short, the USA is secular because they saw how religion can be used to validate invalid power. They learned a lesson from the French, and because they left the British Empire for a reason, they instilled that lesson in their constitution. They also did this because many of them were deists.. and perhaps they were deists for the latter reasons. THE POINT - THE USA IS SECULAR. And saying otherwise is a slap in the face to everyone who pays taxes, and lives in the USA, and expects equal treatment regardless of whether they believe in God they want representation in those speeches.

These stupid 50s slogans alienate hundreds of thousands. And just because we aren't the majority, doesn't mean that we have to bow to these stupid blows from the right wing and outdated tradition.

Answer your question?
Mr November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:53 PM   #119 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
This isn't about attacking those who believe in God, this is about being part of a victimized minority group that is supposedly protected by the Constitution.
Exactly.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:54 PM   #120 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Mr November's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 429
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3 View Post
That's never been how the Constitution has been interpreted. In fact, since Adams and Jefferson both spoke freely with deist language, I don't think it was ever intended.
If they were deists they would never support the phrase "God bless America" It's against everything they would have stood for.
Mr November is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.