Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: Does free will exist?
Yes 19 63.33%
No 11 36.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 01:59 PM   #21 (permalink)
like i was poison ivy
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Miami is the place
Posts: 11,372
Default

Go to sleep or something Tuna. You couldn't ever win this argument.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]NUmCWGPgU7g[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
[youtube]=LtYg1xz1A00[/youbube]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindfulness View Post
2. What was the strangest/best/worst party you ever went to?
Prolly a party I had with some people I know
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #22 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
midnight rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle11 View Post
Go to sleep or something Tuna. You couldn't ever win this argument.
Cut the condescending bull****, you have contributed nothing of value to this thread other than insulting people who disagree with you. Right now you just look like a cocksucker.

Blastingas, it may be hard for me to articulate this as it is a philosophical argument so I have trouble wording it. Here are some links though that you may find interesting.

Michael S. Gazzaniga: Free Will Is an Illusion, but You're Still Responsible for Your Actions - The Chronicle Review - The Chronicle of Higher Education

Is Free Will an Illusion?: Scientific American
__________________
last.fm
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #23 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

I'll give 'em read, tuna.

"Imagine a universe in which everything that happens is completely caused by whatever happened before it. So what happened in the beginning of the universe caused what happened next and so on, right up to the present. If John decided to have french fries at lunch one day, this decision, like all others, was caused by what happened before it."

I do agree with this. And I do agree that we don't have free will in the sense that there are only so many choices we can make, although that may be a very large number of choices to be made in a lifetime, those choices are still within the realm of possibilities. So in that sense, there is a limit to our choices and therefore a limit to our freewill. I don't think freewill is infinite or anything like that, but I do believe that it is large enough to make correct calculations and hypotheses A hard thing to accomplish.

Last edited by blastingas10; 04-04-2012 at 02:30 PM.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
midnight rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
I'll give 'em read, tuna.
Oh and I just wanted to say, since Goofle seems to be under the impression that I'm trying to win an argument, I'm always open to anything you may have about free will existing. This thread wasn't about winning an argument (free will is after all, a philosophical debate), but just to see what others thought about the subject. Thanks for giving your opinion respectfully.
__________________
last.fm
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
_____________
 
Cenotaph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,886
Default

I believe the term is called "biochemical predestination"... It's much like the concept of the "clockmaker" in deism except there is only a clock... and no maker. Everything is just set into motion...

Basically, in a nutshell, it means that our actions are based upon numerous internal and external variables. When a situation is presented to us, we react accordingly to it based on these variables. If you were to replay a certain event (let say choosing between two different brands of cereal) repeatedly with the same variables intact, then the same outcome would occur each time.

Of course, then there is also the non-biological sense of predestination (don't know the exact word), but that's another debate for another time.

I think it's a really interesting concept. Not entirely sure what to think of it yet, but it's definitely possible.
Cenotaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #26 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
blastingas10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
Oh and I just wanted to say, since Goofle seems to be under the impression that I'm trying to win an argument, I'm always open to anything you may have about free will existing. This thread wasn't about winning an argument (free will is after all, a philosophical debate), but just to see what others thought about the subject. Thanks for giving your opinion respectfully.


My first comment may have seemed a little Disrespectful because of my choice of vocabulary and phrasing, but it wasn't intended to be that way if you took it like that, but I don't think you did. I just wanted to make that clear because you are one of the most respectful members here, in my opinion. So, I try to remain respectful when I talk to you, you've been respectful to me.

Now back to the topic.

Last edited by blastingas10; 04-04-2012 at 03:18 PM.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
I'd say in those situations it's the natural instinct we base our decisions on.

I think 'choice' is a concept made up by humans to explain why we pursue one action instead of another, cause there really is only one outcome and no parallel universe. And free will is the human mind wanting to blame.

Also, what Il Duce said.
i was in the midst of typing this yesterday, Tuna, but the timer cut me off

recent science suggests that there can be parallel universes, and multiverses

however, my own 2 cents to this is even if we can traverse to alternate universes, you'd still find another you who was bound to the "predestination" of that universe, and choices he made would still not have been choices of his own free will

if you want to trade places with an "alternate" you, you'd find yourself being bound to the "fatalism" of that universe

not to mention you'd probably go insane, cos the laws are different
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #28 (permalink)
Who wants this dick?
 
Dharma & Greg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beating GNR at DDR and keying Axl's new car
Posts: 36,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
I believe the term is called "biochemical predestination"... It's much like the concept of the "clockmaker" in deism except there is only a clock... and no maker. Everything is just set into motion...

Basically, in a nutshell, it means that our actions are based upon numerous internal and external variables. When a situation is presented to us, we react accordingly to it based on these variables. If you were to replay a certain event (let say choosing between two different brands of cereal) repeatedly with the same variables intact, then the same outcome would occur each time.

Of course, then there is also the non-biological sense of predestination (don't know the exact word), but that's another debate for another time.

I think it's a really interesting concept. Not entirely sure what to think of it yet, but it's definitely possible.
This. I simply don't understand how, in a universe where everything is mathematically calculable, free will just happens to exist. The concept of free will just seems like magic to me. Any concept of free will that doesn't include magic or divine power just seems like semantics designed to redefine a word that no longer has any real meaning. If you believe that the universe is deterministic, then just come up with a different word to describe human choice, because "free will" already has a specific cultural meaning and using it only brings confusion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Hobbes
To evaluate my character my immediate pleasure is being pitted against my future greed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The Batlord is amazing man. He loves some fine woman and he gets horny easily. What is better than that.
Dharma & Greg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #29 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
midnight rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
This. I simply don't understand how, in a universe where everything is mathematically calculable, free will just happens to exist. The concept of free will just seems like magic to me. Any concept of free will that doesn't include magic or divine power just seems like semantics designed to redefine a word that no longer has any real meaning. If you believe that the universe is deterministic, then just come up with a different word to describe human choice, because "free will" already has a specific cultural meaning and using it only brings confusion.
I think a good example would be music. A lot of people don't like country, but to say someone chose to not like country music is ridiculous. You can't choose to like or not like country, you just do like it or don't like it. I challenge people who don't like country music to explain why they don't like it.

Another example would be food, you don't choose to dislike a certain type of food, it just doesn't appeal to your taste buds.
__________________
last.fm
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #30 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
midnight rain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard the Duck View Post
i was in the midst of typing this yesterday, Tuna, but the timer cut me off

recent science suggests that there can be parallel universes, and multiverses

however, my own 2 cents to this is even if we can traverse to alternate universes, you'd still find another you who was bound to the "predestination" of that universe, and choices he made would still not have been choices of his own free will

if you want to trade places with an "alternate" you, you'd find yourself being bound to the "fatalism" of that universe

not to mention you'd probably go insane, cos the laws are different
I admit I haven't research much about parallel universes, but the only way they can exist is if free will does in fact exist, no? Because the idea of a parallel universe is that you had an alternate choice in the first place you could've made that would allow you to alter your destination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
My first comment may have seemed a little Disrespectful because of my choice of vocabulary and phrasing, but it wasn't intended to be that way if you took it like that, but I don't think you did. I just wanted to make that clear because you are one of the most respectful members here, in my opinion. So, I try to remain respectful when I talk to you, you've been respectful to me.

Now back to the topic.
Thanks man, though I admit I could've kept my cool a bit better earlier.

I wasn't offended by what you said because you were actually substantiating what you were saying and providing an interesting perspective.
__________________
last.fm
midnight rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.