Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 03:25 AM   #441 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdi View Post
Sorry, but I think you may have misinterpreted what I said. I'm European and not exactly sure where you're from now, so I can't answer your question. But I'm guessing you're European too, your location being London, and your nickname being a famous Finnish book?
This is what happens when I try to type still half asleep and I'm only on my first mug of tea as well, so that's my excuse. Anyway, I thought you were an American so my mistake, I now realize you're civilized.

I'm guessing you're from Finland then and I named myself after the Doors song and welcome to Music Banter.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 03:35 AM   #442 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 44
Default

Ah! In that case I can answer your question: I don't think Europe has less violence than the US. I haven't travelled that much, and I haven't read much on the topic, so I may be wrong, but wouldn't you say that a lot of the violence that goes on in Eastern and Southern European countries rivals that of the US?

Haha, yeah, I think of myself as civilized
I'm actually from Portugal (yeah, sorry about all that...). And thank you; it looks like a really nice forum.
verdi is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #443 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdi View Post
Ah! In that case I can answer your question: I don't think Europe has less violence than the US. I haven't travelled that much, and I haven't read much on the topic, so I may be wrong, but wouldn't you say that a lot of the violence that goes on in Eastern and Southern European countries rivals that of the US?

Haha, yeah, I think of myself as civilized
I'm actually from Portugal (yeah, sorry about all that...). And thank you; it looks like a really nice forum.
I should have qualified that as Western Europe and not as Europe in general (as I did earlier in the thread several times) I know most of Europe quite well and most of the violence in the EU tends to be more focused on the more developed countries of Europe, hence the UK generally has the highest levels of violence in general and a country like Spain far lower levels of violence.

The USA is considered quite a bit more violent than the UK, so I'd say that makes it a more violent place than Western Europe in general.

So are you Portuguese and live in Portugal or elsewhere?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #444 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I should have qualified that as Western Europe and not as Europe in general (as I did earlier in the thread several times) I know most of Europe quite well and most of the violence in the EU tends to be more focused on the more developed countries of Europe, hence the UK generally has the highest levels of violence in general and a country like Spain far lower levels of violence.

The USA is considered quite a bit more violent than the UK, so I'd say that makes it a more violent place than Western Europe in general.

So are you Portuguese and live in Portugal or elsewhere?
Oh, yes, you're right. However, I might have to disagree with you there: Spain isn't all that safe. Neither is Portugal or Greece. Perhaps you hung out in places where there are many tourists? Or maybe you know the facts and I'm wrong. But I know that, having experienced it in person, it doesn't always feel safe. Either way, I suppose one should consider the whole of Europe if he is to compare it to the US in terms of safety, crime rates, etc.
Again, I wouldn't know what causes a person to kill 20 people at a school, but I am sure it is not the fact that he owns a weapon. The gun is merely the means used to carry out his sick plan; why he did it is an entirely different question, and the only one that should be addressed, in my opinion. You gave a few good reasons for it already, I'd say!

I'm Portuguese but I live abroad now. Fortunately :P
verdi is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #445 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdi View Post
Oh, yes, you're right. However, I might have to disagree with you there: Spain isn't all that safe.
I've travelled, lived and worked in several parts of Spain both touristy and non-touristy and it's far safer than the UK in general.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #446 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 44
Default

I've never been to the UK, so you must know more than I do.
verdi is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 AM   #447 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdi View Post
I've never been to the UK, so you must know more than I do.
The chances of the average person being involved in a serious crime are remote, but statistics if you believe them, usually have it as the highest crime rates in Western Europe.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #448 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 44
Default

Yeah, and it would make sense in a way too. Therefore we can conclude that it's just that Americans are messed up and we're not
verdi is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #449 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdi View Post
Therefore we can conclude that it's just that Americans are messed up and we're not
That's common knowledge and by letting them run around the place with guns, is a sure recipe for disaster.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline  
Old 01-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #450 (permalink)
Key
hi
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdi View Post
Therefore we can conclude that it's just that Americans are messed up and we're not
Not all Americans, but I will admit that a large portion of this country is a joke.
__________________

CWH
Key is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.