Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

View Poll Results: What do you think will eventually happen to Syrian president Bashar Al-Assad?
He will kill himself 0 0%
He will resign from Presidency 0 0%
He will get killed by the protesters 2 25.00%
He will get killed by the Syrian army 1 12.50%
He will be sentenced to life imprisonment 1 12.50%
I dont care what will happen to him 1 12.50%
Other 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #31 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
This thread has been, so far, a laugh riot.

Here are some things I find particularly hilarious, in ascending order:

3. Obliviousness to the differences in Syrian society; e.g., pretending there are no major differences between Alawites, Christians, & Sunni. Seems like some lazybones should look at the demographic compostion of the government and army.

2. The notion that this is was some sort of spontaneous, internal uprising. The reality is this is part of a global conflict, played out by animated regional actors (primarily Iran & Saudi Arabia and their associated proxies) at the discretion of their associated global hegemonys.

1. That violence delegitimizes a Government and/or that Democracy is somehow more legitimate than other forms of Governance.
Well, I think most are not "pretending" that this isn't part of a larger war within Islam. Saudi Arabia is the biggest sponsor of the opposition groups. Simply put, do you as a matter of principal, want the Assad regime gotten rid of or not. Let alone all the politics, let alone whether the opposition might have equally crazy elements. Because if not, say what you might about violence, but human beings dead in the 100,000s? And this in 2013 after having been through so many genocides? That is a tragedy.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #32 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
3. Obliviousness to the differences in Syrian society; e.g., pretending there are no major differences between Alawites, Christians, & Sunni. Seems like some lazybones should look at the demographic compostion of the government and army.
You've completely got the wrong end of the stick here, as the above actually supports the long term weakness of the Assad regime rather than support it. Your above post actually supports the fact, that the army are more likely to turn against the Assad regime than support it, given the fact that the Alawites only really command the leadership, but it's the Sunnis that make up the majority of the army. Assad of course is an Alawite and most of those forces that have defected are Sunnis and will gradually defect even more.

Quote:
2. The notion that this is was some sort of spontaneous, internal uprising. The reality is this is part of a global conflict, played out by animated regional actors (primarily Iran & Saudi Arabia and their associated proxies) at the discretion of their associated global hegemonys.
You've completely got this wrong, there was nothing spontaneous about the Syrian uprising at all and nobody to my knowledge on here has said it was spontaneous either. The uprisng was just part of the "Arab Spring" which had already swept most of the Arab world and Syria was just another country to fall victim to these planned protests, so it was acyuallt very organized.

Quote:
1. That violence delegitimizes a Government and/or that Democracy is somehow more legitimate than other forms of Governance.
First part of point one is just you trying to be controversial yet again and we all know that you believe in the survival of the fittest lark. Second point I've actually addressed and is actually the only good point you've raised here. It basically raises the question on how suitable democracy is for non-European or non-North American cultures etc. I actually stated in an earlier post, that I personally feel that the democratic process is not always suitable for a lot of nations around the world, but it's also not to be shunned either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
It's not only that. The UN can't do anything without Russia agreeing, and they're still hands in pockets mumbling "Ahh, he not such a bad guy, y'know? We had Stalin! Now THERE was a dictator!" and of course at the same time smuggling arms to his forces. So the UN does nothing cos they can't. And then there's the Arab League. Can't piss them off either. Basically it's really a case of "**** it if you want to kill yourselves do, see if we care" which is terrible but what pisses me off are these news stories about the refugees. I have sympathy for them, but why show these things if there's nothing they can/will do about the situation? It's like "look how bad it is, but we can't make it any better".

US needs to strongarm Russia and get them to play ball. This has gone on too long, too many people have died and too many other people --- people ostensibly in power --- are just standing on the sidelines, wringing their hands and saying "we can't do anything cos the Russkies have the ball and won't let anyone play." Grow a set, UN, FFS!
Which is why I'm kind of resigned to the fact the the Syrians will have to sort their problems out internally.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #33 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
hip hop bunny hop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, I think most are not "pretending" that this isn't part of a larger war within Islam. Saudi Arabia is the biggest sponsor of the opposition groups. Simply put, do you as a matter of principal, want the Assad regime gotten rid of or not. Let alone all the politics, let alone whether the opposition might have equally crazy elements. Because if not, say what you might about violence, but human beings dead in the 100,000s? And this in 2013 after having been through so many genocides? That is a tragedy.
You're going to have to expand upon this, because you're implying all sorts of things in here.
__________________
Have mercy on the poor.
hip hop bunny hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Israel
Posts: 180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
It basically raises the question on how suitable democracy is for non-European or non-North American cultures etc. I actually stated in an earlier post, that I personally feel that the democratic process is not always suitable for a lot of nations around the world, but it's also not to be shunned either.
Man, its because theres no fair universal suffrage in those nations, they dont count the votes of civilians as they should and so they let another fake president rule the nation for another 20+ years. Just like Ahmadinejad, he was elected for a second term by faking the votes. If they'd want to become democratic they'd first need to stop doing that.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #35 (permalink)
ComputerHabenHerzschmerz
 
Neapolitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Les Barricades Mystérieuses
Posts: 6,327
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
This thread has been, so far, a laugh riot.

Here are some things I find particularly hilarious, in ascending order:

3. Obliviousness to the differences in Syrian society; e.g., pretending there are no major differences between Alawites, Christians, & Sunni. Seems like some lazybones should look at the demographic compostion of the government and army.
Here:
74% are Sunni
11% are Alawites
and about 6% Christian

Now could you please provide those figure for the army & gov't.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhanteimi View Post
Actually, I like you a lot, Nea. That's why I treat you like ****. It's the MB way.

"it counts in our hearts" - ʕººʔ
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” ― Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” – Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." - John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." — Keith Richards ☮ 💖 ♫ ∞ ἰχθύς
Neapolitan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #36 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
hip hop bunny hop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,367
Default

:-/

Ya got me, I can't find exact percentage amounts for the demographic breakdown in the government.
__________________
Have mercy on the poor.
hip hop bunny hop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #37 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hip hop bunny hop View Post
:-/

Ya got me, I can't find exact percentage amounts for the demographic breakdown in the government.
I think it's fair to assume that the Alawites dominate the government there.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraser.time206 View Post
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.