Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > The Lounge > Current Events, Philosophy, & Religion
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2014, 12:12 AM   #91 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
People that say that don't have the slightest clue.

They are all like "oh I came from humble beginnings and worked my butt off for what I have today."

They don't understand and never will.

Yea I completely agree.

Our interpretations about certain issues and topics are largely based on our own experiences. Unfortunately for some people they will never "get it" because they do not have to live that life. The sad part about this topic is the fact that at ANY moment we can fall in to poverty or suddenly become poor for whatever reason. It happens everyday. That is why it is important to be sensitive and open minded to the life styles of others because we to can fall into there situation at any moment whether it is poverty or wealth.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:25 AM   #92 (permalink)
A.B.N.
 
djchameleon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NY baby
Posts: 11,155
Default

Yeah, there was some study that says people don't realize how quickly/easy it is to go from having a home and job to being completely homeless. It can happen to us all.
__________________
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.


Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:43 AM   #93 (permalink)
Killed Laura Palmer
 
ThePhanastasio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ashland, KY
Posts: 1,667
Default

29/100

You’re not privileged at all. You grew up with an intersectional, complicated identity, and life never let you forget it. You’ve had your fair share of struggles, and you’ve worked hard to overcome them. We do not live in an ideal world and you had to learn that the hard way. It is not your responsibility to educate those with more advantages than you, but if you decide you want to, go ahead and send them this quiz. Hopefully it will help.

By Appalachian standards, I'm doing quite well.
__________________

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #94 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: freely swimmin thru the waters of glory much like a majestic bald eagle soars thru the skies
Posts: 1,385
Default

Funny how willingly ignorant some minorities are... literally millions of poor whites that nobody cares about or pretends dont exist. Take a drive thru kentucky ir parts if west Virginia or ohio. Drice thru rural PA.


Those ppl aren't invalid cause a 90 yr old looked at u funny one time at a unimart
butthead aka 216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #95 (permalink)
Brain Licker
 
Xurtio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,082
Default

Racism is bad and it does go both ways and yes, whites aren't immune to racism, etc, etc, blah blah...

However, as a white male in a society run by white males, I can't deny that it's one less strike against me. Not due to any conspiracy, it's just the basic human fact that people are inconsiderate. For instance, even today, the field of medicine still has traces from when it was male dominant: for example, the history of "hysteria" is interesting. Likewise, birth practices developed by males in the last century can be very traumatic for women compared to births in birth-centers developed by a larger female community.

Obviously, a white kid in a black neighborhood is going to be the minority, so it's not really about race in absolute terms, it's about being the minority, no matter what your race is: your interests are going to be under-represented when you're the minority. It so happens that black neighborhoods in white-run USA have a history of being subject to state-sanctioned discrimination (racial profiling by police, for instance) due to their interests being under-represented.

So scholarships targeted at minorities (for instance) serve a real, functional purpose that helps overcome real discrimination. It would be nice to see a description of minority that is dependent on local population though, not national population, so that a white kid in a black neighborhood could be considered a minority.
__________________
H̓̇̅̉yͤ͏mͬ͂ͧn͑̽̽̌ͪ̑͐͟o̴͊̈́͑̇m͛͌̓ͦ̑aͫ̽ͤ̇n̅̎͐̒ͫ͐c̆ͯͫ̋ ̔̃́eͯ͒rͬͬ̄҉
Xurtio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #96 (permalink)
Crusher of tiny Nords
 
Carpe Mortem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Ugly Bag of Mostly Water
Posts: 1,149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xurtio View Post
Racism is bad and it does go both ways and yes, whites aren't immune to racism, etc, etc, blah blah...

However, as a white male in a society run by white males, I can't deny that it's one less strike against me. Not due to any conspiracy, it's just the basic human fact that people are inconsiderate. For instance, even today, the field of medicine still has traces from when it was male dominant: for example, the history of "hysteria" is interesting. Likewise, birth practices developed by males in the last century can be very traumatic for women compared to births in birth-centers developed by a larger female community.

Obviously, a white kid in a black neighborhood is going to be the minority, so it's not really about race in absolute terms, it's about being the minority, no matter what your race is: your interests are going to be under-represented when you're the minority. It so happens that black neighborhoods in white-run USA have a history of being subject to state-sanctioned discrimination (racial profiling by police, for instance) due to their interests being under-represented.

So scholarships targeted at minorities (for instance) serve a real, functional purpose that helps overcome real discrimination. It would be nice to see a description of minority that is dependent on local population though, not national population, so that a white kid in a black neighborhood could be considered a minority.
Amen dude
__________________
[SIG][/SIG]
Mirth is King


Be Loving & Open With
My Emotions
Carpe Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #97 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xurtio View Post
Racism is bad and it does go both ways and yes, whites aren't immune to racism, etc, etc, blah blah...

However, as a white male in a society run by white males, I can't deny that it's one less strike against me. Not due to any conspiracy, it's just the basic human fact that people are inconsiderate. For instance, even today, the field of medicine still has traces from when it was male dominant: for example, the history of "hysteria" is interesting. Likewise, birth practices developed by males in the last century can be very traumatic for women compared to births in birth-centers developed by a larger female community.

Obviously, a white kid in a black neighborhood is going to be the minority, so it's not really about race in absolute terms, it's about being the minority, no matter what your race is: your interests are going to be under-represented when you're the minority. It so happens that black neighborhoods in white-run USA have a history of being subject to state-sanctioned discrimination (racial profiling by police, for instance) due to their interests being under-represented.

So scholarships targeted at minorities (for instance) serve a real, functional purpose that helps overcome real discrimination. It would be nice to see a description of minority that is dependent on local population though, not national population, so that a white kid in a black neighborhood could be considered a minority.
A White kid in that particular context is a minority because they live in a black neighborhood specifically but that does not necessarily mean that white kid is not "privileged" or is socioeconomically unprivileged which is why Blacks, Hispanics, Latinos etc are the minority.

Latino's, Blacks, etc are the minority because they are socioeconomically unprivileged and unrepresented. Even if that white kid that lives in that black neighborhood is the minority in terms of "numbers" it does not mean they are at risk or come from a low income home which also needs to be taken into consideration when you you use the term minority which means many different things besides "lack of numbers"
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #98 (permalink)
Brain Licker
 
Xurtio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,082
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
A White kid in that particular context is a minority because they live in a black neighborhood specifically but that does not necessarily mean that white kid is not "privileged" or is socioeconomically unprivileged which is why Blacks, Hispanics, Latinos etc are the minority.
I agree. I was merely saying that it does not necessarily mean that he is privileged.

It would depend on the nature of the program classifying minorities. For instance, a national level scholarship wouldn't recognize our Timmy in the black neighborhood as a minority, but a psychologist might if he's trying to categorize social pressures against Timmy, or a local bullying chapter might recognize and address his potential daily challenges.
__________________
H̓̇̅̉yͤ͏mͬ͂ͧn͑̽̽̌ͪ̑͐͟o̴͊̈́͑̇m͛͌̓ͦ̑aͫ̽ͤ̇n̅̎͐̒ͫ͐c̆ͯͫ̋ ̔̃́eͯ͒rͬͬ̄҉
Xurtio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #99 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: freely swimmin thru the waters of glory much like a majestic bald eagle soars thru the skies
Posts: 1,385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtalk92 View Post
A White kid in that particular context is a minority because they live in a black neighborhood specifically but that does not necessarily mean that white kid is not "privileged" or is socioeconomically unprivileged which is why Blacks, Hispanics, Latinos etc are the minority.

Latino's, Blacks, etc are the minority because they are socioeconomically unprivileged and unrepresented. Even if that white kid that lives in that black neighborhood is the minority in terms of "numbers" it does not mean they are at risk or come from a low income home which also needs to be taken into consideration when you you use the term minority which means many different things besides "lack of numbers"
As long as u acknowledge it both ways which I'm not sure u do. A black kid in a white neighbothood isn't necessarily low income either
butthead aka 216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #100 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xurtio View Post
I agree. I was merely saying that it does not necessarily mean that he is privileged.

It would depend on the nature of the program classifying minorities. For instance, a national level scholarship wouldn't recognize our Timmy in the black neighborhood as a minority, but a psychologist might if he's trying to categorize social pressures against Timmy, or a local bullying chapter might recognize and address his potential daily challenges.
That is because he isn't a minority

But I do see your point.

I think this goes deeper than that though. I would argue Timmy is privilege simply because he is "white". Being white affords him more opportunities but I do understand that not all white people are born rich or high class but it still does not change that their skin gives them more power over other races.
Soulflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.